1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Spinning gas cap?

Discussion in 'Engine, Transmission/Axle & Driveline/Axle' started by Ray-Ray, May 1, 2018.

1. Ray-Ray

Ray-Ray New Member

Alright, so I know that this isn't exactly in the correct sub-forum, but I figured that it was close enough.

Our family owns a 1990 Club Wagon, everyone runs pretty smoothly. Long story short, I went to put gas in the van, and the front gas cap wouldn't come off. It didn't act like it was stuck or anything, it just spun around, like it was stripped or something. Thankfully the rear tank doesn't have this issue, but I'd love to fix this before we attempt to go on vacation.

Any ideas?
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

The gas caps are designed to slip ratchet when tightened. The outside top will spin however the body will stop because the body is tight enough. Sounds like you have a failed cap and it just spins in either direction. Kind of a rare condition and I guess it could happen.

Do the best you can to remove it, then replace it. You might be able to move the top of the cap in a certain direction such that it catches. Gripping the cap at different angles may help.
    If it comes to it you may have to force the top of the cap off and then grip the body so the body of the cap unthreads from the fuel filler neck.

Good luck and post back as to the solution. Take pictures if possible,

<>>>>>>>>>>Action