1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Squeaking noise when starting to move.

Discussion in 'Ford Escape' started by Dagem, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Dagem

Dagem New Member

Hello, everyone.

Thanks in advance.

I apologize for the long post but I can't seem to explain this problem myself, so please provide your input.

Have a 2004 Escape with manual transmission. After losing my pilot bearing in the transmission about 6 months back, I replaced the whole clutch (with the bearing) and my flywheel. I've also replaced both my tie rod ends. Recently I started hearing this squeaking, friction-like noise when I'm starting off on 1st gear. Noise goes away either after shifting or randomly.

Brief history: I've had frequent power steering pump issues, having replaced two new ones (after the first replacement, I didn't use the right fluid so it failed again, not working at all in low revs.) Since the second replacement some months back, I haven't had any problems with it. ALSO, when this noise first came about, I heard it when I was trying to park, my steering wheel being in lock position (all the way to the left). At first it only made that noise when in similar circumstances: steering wheel in lock and starting from stop. But now it's almost always when starting from stop, regardless of wheel position. Doesn't seem to have pattern for how frequent it makes the noise. I guessed it could be my steering rack.

What do you think?
  2. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

Welcome to the Forum
    Have you checked your stabilizer end links
    this video is on a 2009 it may help you
    http://www.fordforumsonline.com/threads/front-end-rattle-over-bumps-stabilizer-links.12513/
  3. Dagem

Dagem New Member

No, haven't checked them out. Don't even know what they are. Will look into it though. Much thanks.
  4. Dagem

Dagem New Member

Just checked out the video, Dominick. I don't think that's my problem. As I mentioned, the noise is more of a friction-like squeaking rather than a rattle. I first thought it was the clutch rubbing against the flywheel. Could it be the steering rack?
  5. Dominick 1

I would take a good look at your engine and transaxle mounts and the mounts that
    hold the steering on first
  6. Dagem

Dagem New Member

On first gear?
  7. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

It would be nice to isolate the area the sound is coming. With another person you might be able to isolate the sound. left or right. Front back or center.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  8. Dagem

Dagem New Member

I hear it in the front driver side. I don't know if that's biased with where I sit when I drive. I keep thinking it's the steering rack. Is that possible? Could a sound like that come from a bad rack? Maybe the two bad power steering pumps had something to do.
  9. Dominick 1

I've read a bunch of reviews
    here is a list of common problems
    http://www.carproblemzoo.com/ford/escape/2004/
  10. RAGGAREN

RAGGAREN Member

grease the universal joints ..
    see if that helps...