1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

The Great Get Ms. American 3.14159 An Eastwood Contour SCT Tool Caper

Discussion in 'Ford Galaxie' started by JCAllison, Dec 4, 2017.

1. JCAllison

JCAllison Well-Known Member

Hey All,
    Have been seeing pop-up commercials for the NEW Eastwood Contour SCT Tool.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-contour-sct.html

Have been fantasizing about what could be done with an SCT to make Ms. American even more attractive than she presently is.

Have accessed numerous videos of the SCT in action. In one of them it was suggested that one of the "drums" used with the SCT left the Sheet Metal with a "brushed" appearance like a DeLorean.

The thought occurred to me, that if an SCT was acquired for the old Gal, that Ms. American's body could be, after the trim was removed, stripped of the OLD paint using the appropriate drum, and then rather than repainting it with Chantilly Beige, it could be (as was suggested in the SCT video) given a coat of CLEAR Polyurethane.

Ms. American could then be billed as: "The ONLY 1964 Ford Galaxie 500, Four-Door, Hard-Top, Fast-Back, Police Interceptor, Nude Policewoman that Google finds on the WHOLE World Wide Web." :)

It wouldn't change anything about the old Gal because later she could later be painted Chantilly Beige to match the Warranty Plate if desired.

A nice thing about it is: That it could be done a panel at a time, using rattle-cans of CLEAR Polyurethane.

From what is being seen in the videos, the SCT "fixes" (by "scaling") the places on the old Gal's Sheet Metal that are rusted. The videos seem to show that it is quite easy peasy to do, and Ms. American could stand to have a better surface appearance.

Whaddaya think?

Anyway, the scene here is somewhat "crazy".

Decided to swap Monitors between The Scorcher and The Screamer.

The NEW Dell was working fine on The Screamer, and the LG was working fine on The Scorcher.

The reason for the swap was to put a different aspect ratio Monitor on The Screamer to make CorelDRAW5 have better proportions for Graphics. It was supposed to be a simple operation.

Unhooked the LG from The Scorcher, and took it upstairs.

Unhooked the Dell from The Screamer and took it downstairs.

Hooked the LG to The Screamer, and it worked just fine!

Hooked the Dell to The Scorcher, and the Monitor wouldn't light!

So went through the process of swapping them out again.

Hooked the Dell back up to The Screamer, and everything worked just fine.

Hooked the LG back up to The Scorcher, and it wouldn't light!

So now The Scorcher isn't operational, and don't know why. This is just plain NUTZ!

Got the M-Audio Delta 1010LT breakout Cables cleaned, and ready to install in The Scorcher, and connected to the Yamaha Mixer. but NOW The Scorcher's Monitor isn't functioning. Why can't ANYTHING be easy?

Anyway, other than the problem with The Scorcher and the LG Monitor, everything else seems to be going along pretty well.

Hope you all are well.

JC
  2. JCAllison

Hey All,
    Figured out why The Scorcher's Monitor didn't light. The Scorcher has a Matrox G450 Graphics Card. The G450 has TWO VGA Out Ports. Had connected the Monitors to the WRONG Out Port. Reconnected it, and there is NOW nothing wrong with it.

JC
  3. 70XL

70XL Active Member

I'd hate to see you start stripping the paint off Ms. American. I've watched a few car shows that have used the metal finish for a final appearance and they have all said it is so much more work than paint. I think the process and results would be disappointing and I can't help but think your money and energy could be used elsewhere.
    pkevins likes this.
  4. pkevins

pkevins Active Member

Undoubtedly you have far more patience than I so please take these comments with all respect. I think Eastwood is just fine as a place for beginners. It got me started when I did an amateur hour clean up of the engine bay in my Mustang when its engine was out for a rebuild 8 years ago. Anyway, in subsequent repair projects, I have found their products to be OK, at about the level of Duplicolor - meh. For rattle-can paint, which is ALWAYS a compromise, those sold by Automotive Touchup are far superior. With respect to polyurethane on metal, which Eastwood product of that line comes in rattle cans? I only saw the ones in quart or gallon containers; it seemed the other rattle cans were intended for application on basecoats, but I'm probably wrong and did not watch the video.

If I had your skills and time I'd go the basecoast/clearcoat route using the products from the place I linked above; I'd bet their version of Chantilly Beige is worth a look. and would consider using Master Series primer first. A friend of mine and I did a track hood for my Mustang years ago with Automotive Touchup's Wimbledon White and it came out quite well. If it didn't have a scoop I'd use it as my everyday hood.

Whatever you do, I assume you'll try an interior facing surface first...

Kevin
  5. Coosawjack

Coosawjack Member

Ms. American deserves to remain in her "PATINA" JC and as said above you need to direct your money and energy elsewhere!!:)

GOOD LUCK!!;)
  6. redrag

redrag Active Member

dont let me get too deep. you'll be sorry if you try it
  7. JCAllison

Hey 70XL,
    Have actually never seen real world examples of any of this. Was just intrigued by the Eastwood promotions. They, of course, are touting their NEW tool, and raising all sorts of applications for it, without approaching consideration that are "con" to doing what they say CAN be done.

The MAIN reason for starting this thread was to get some kind of feedback on what is actual in the "real world".

Some years back, when Lorrie Van Haul was being refurbished, her exterior was stripped down to bare metal, and being what she is (not any kind of rare "classic" vehicle), she was then brush painted using a product called "Bar-OX" Enamel, which happens to be some of the best paint I had ever used. This judgement was based on my years and years of experience as a sign painter when I was much younger.

My years as a sign painter had also qualified me to be able to brush paint Lorrie to a rather acceptable finish, and having a really high quality enamel helped immensely.

To do the stripping, had obtained a tool called a "Wagner Paint Eater" from Lowe's:

https://www.target.com/p/wagner-pai...v3Y_ujRmDg_8ZDqJgKxoCxgAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It made removing Lorrie's secondary paint (applied in 1975 by the USPS people in preparation to sell the OLD Postal Vans), AND the Factory applied primer and paint fairly easy, but NOT as easy as Eastwood's SCT appears to do in the YouTube videos made by Eastwood.

But am thinking that YOU'RE right though about NOT doing to Ms. American what was done to Lorrie Van Haul.

Still, the Eastwood SCT appears to be a GREAT device, and most certainly has applications in the world of the "Old Car Hobby".

Anyway, thanks for the VERY valid considered opinion.

Take care.

JC
  8. JCAllison

Hey Kevin,
    Twas not always the case, but over the years, have just become resigned to the fact that things don't always go optimally, and when they don't it's best to just back off the intensity, and know that things WILL happen when they're supposed to happen.

Know what you mean. In the late 1980s, when Ms. American's 3.14 was rebuilt, there was an opportunity to spiff up her engine bay, but it was missed, as at the time was completely oblivious to thinking about it.

There DOES seem to be quite a difference between "total novice", "hobby grade", and "professional grade" products. Have to say though, that here in Onalaska, the local hardware store (SAYCO) carries Valspar brand paint, and it is way above average quality.

Wasn't referencing Eastwood when postulating about Polyurethane. The only reference to Eastwood was their Contour SCT Tool. Still, here a while back, had decided to put a coat of Clear Polyurethane on The Staff of the Golden Unicorn with the Faceted Crystal Eyes, and got a rattle can of Rustoleum Clear Polyurethane from SAYCO Hardware. It cost over $12.00! Strangely, SAYCO sells rattle cans of Valspar paint for under $7.00!

Didn't see any rattle cans of Polyurethane from Eastwood either.

Actually Kevin, my doing a paint job on Ms. American is probably nothing but a TOTAL fantasy. There are so many other things that NEED doing around here, that painting Ms. American is somewhat beyond my "deadline". Realistically, am thinking that the rebuild of Lorrie Van Haul's Front End and Steering will probably be my last hurrah as far as the Old Car Hobby is concerned! Can realistically see spending my "dotage" doing something much less strenuous, such as music or vusic production. Will just have to wait and see.

Some time ago, Ms. DXL posted some JPGs of a Sports Car that a fellow did himself which came out quite nicely. Remember that?

"Interior facing surface"?

It's approaching time to go feed the Felines. Then later this morning, am going to be going out to pick up the monthly blood test results. Also, did the week's errands yesterday, but the Grocery Store was out of a couple of items that are needed, so will be seeing if they are in today. THEN later, will FINALLY be connecting the Mixer to the M-Audio Delta 1010LT Sound Card in The Scorcher.

Anyway, for now... It's onward through the fog!

Take care.

JC

9. JCAllison

Hey Jack,
    Probably so. Was just living out the Eastwood Contour SCT Video Fantasy! :) BUT, just as soon as (and IF) I am showered with zillions of dollars, am going to have something done with the old Gal's appearance! Might even fix her Hood Hinges.

On another front here, There's a bit of a stressful situation happening. Harlequin, the oldest of the felines is fading fast. Two days ago she tried to use the Litter Box. She got into it, but didn't have the agility or strength to get out of it. I came to her rescue.

For the past two days, she has tried to eat breakfast, but hasn't been able to consume very much.

Have made her comfortable as possible.

She isn't in any distress, but she isn't up and about either. Getting old is NOT for sissies, and Harley is NO sissy.

Am checking on her frequently, and don't expect her to survive much longer.

Harley has been with me longer than any other of the cats I ever had. Such a sweet little old lady. She's had a VERY successful life. Had three litters of kittens. Hasn't been sick a day in her life. All in all, a wonderful cat.

Anyway, everything is going along. Will just take things as they come.

Hope YOU and Mr. Bear are well.

JC
  10. JCAllison

Hey Randy,
    It was just a FANTASY! :) Even without the GREAT warning opinions expressed here, actually setting up to do something like that to Ms. American would have run into the "Brick Reality Wall", bringing me to my senses!

Anyway, almost time to go clean up the cat's mess and get on with the day.

Hope you are doing well.

JC
  11. 70XL

70XL Active Member

A world without fantasies would not be much of a place to live. However, the line between fantasy and reality should be well understood. :eek::)
  12. pkevins

pkevins Active Member

JC,
    Sorry to hear about Harlequin.

My comment about "interior facing" was merely meant as standard advice about trying a section of metal that is typically not visible to the outside world; i.e., a "beta test"... Glad you posted the video as it made for a good thread and thanks for humoring my reply.

Hang in there sir.

Kevin
  13. JCAllison

Hey 70XL,
    We all live in a yellow submarine! :)

You're saying this to a guy who has just finished making The Staff of the Golden Unicorn with the Faceted Crystal Eyes? :) MVC-007F.JPG
    Anyway, it has gotten cold and wet here. Supposed to get down to 41 degrees here tonight. I know that doesn't seem like much to YOU, but to ME, it means sharing the bed with six cats!

Take care.

JC
  14. JCAllison

Hey Kevin,
    She has lived a life without regrets. She is sleeping warm and snug, wrapped in a Terry Cloth Towel, on my lap even as this is being typed. She has the tiniest purr going.

[/quote]My comment about "interior facing" was merely meant as standard advice about trying a section of metal that is typically not visible to the outside world; i.e., a "beta test"... [/quote]

Since this idea isn't going to make the leap from fantasy to reality, we don't have to worry about it. Still, would really like to have one of them Eastwood Contour SCT jobbies just for the having of it!

Kind of felt the same way.

Easy to do. They have ALWAYS been cogent.

For sure. you too.

JC
  15. Coosawjack

Coosawjack Member

Sorry to hear about "Harley" JC.......how old is she??
  16. JCAllison

Hey Jack,
    She was one of four kitten born on December 30, 1994. Have never had any cat live a long as Harlequin. She will be twenty-four on December 30th, but don't think that she is going to make it.

She had three sisters. Monique, Shelly and WorraWorra. Shelly and WorraWorra were were twins. Both Tortoise Shell Calicos. The only difference was that Shelly was a short hair, and WorraWorra was a long hair.

Harlequin was also a twin. She and Monique were both Pseudo Siamese. The only difference was that Harlequin was a short hair, and Monique was a long hair.

Monique died of anemia when she was about two years old. She was the prettiest of the four sisters.

The next door neighbor trapped WorraWorra (along with a bunch of other cats in the neighborhood) and hauled her off, though word came through the grapevine that he was drowning the cats he trapped.

Shelly died of natural causes in 2011 at the age of eighteen.

All except Monique had multiple litters of kittens.

Here are a couple of JPGs of Harley. She has gotten so frail, but she was enthusiastic, had a good appetite, likes to have her tummy scratched, and took GREAT care of herself up until about five days ago, when she began to wane noticeably, and she has continued to decline since then. She went deaf about a year ago, and her eyesight has degraded. She can still see, but it has become obvious that she doesn't see very well.
    MVC-019F.JPG
    And this next JPG shows how she got her name:
    MVC-020F.JPG
    She and I have been best friends for these many years. She has never been a minutes worth of trouble. She has always been fastidiously clean, and always used the litter box. I will miss her when she's gone. But cats are cats. They come and go, though they live forever in my memory.

Anyway, time for meds and bed. Hope this finds YOU doing well.

Take care.

JC
    Action likes this.
  17. Coosawjack

Coosawjack Member

WOW.....24 years old.....what a long and GREAT life she's had JC and I know you've been GREAT FRIENDS!!:)
  18. JCAllison

Hey Jack,
    Strangely, she never liked to come upstairs like the other cats did, but she was always glad to see me first thing in the morning.

She has been a sweetheart all these years. Being the oldest of all the cats, none of the others ever bothered her, or vied for her position at the top of the pecking order. After all, SHE was the Queen.

She spent last night on the bed with me, all bundled up, and cozy. I would awaken and check to see if she was still alive by giving one of her front paws a squeeze. She would respond with a little claw grasp. Put the stethoscope under her, and her heart beat is strong, and she has a tiny purr going most of the time.

Took her down stairs to see if she might like a drink of water, but she can't stand. Am going to give her some water with a hypodermic syringe.

Don't know how long she will linger, but she is in no apparent distress or discomfort, though she does make a tiny mewing sound occasionally.

Anyway, will let you know how it goes.

JC
  19. JCAllison

Hey All,
    Just a quick note: Harlequin, the cat passed away last evening at 6:43 p.m. She, for the most part, finished her race with almost no drama, although she did have some spasms in the last few second of her life. Will be burying her later today weather permitting.

RIP Harley.

JC
  20. Coosawjack

Coosawjack Member

Sorry to hear JC!!:(

She had a long and GOOD life with you!!:)