1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

The Great JC 3.14159 All-Out-War Caper

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by JCAllison, Jan 15, 2017.

1. JCAllison

JCAllison Well-Known Member

Hey All,
    War is HELL! Especially when it is forced on someone who did nothing to deserve it. And that is what has happened to me (JC).

Back in the last week of October, and then again in the first week of November, Lorrie Van Haul took me to Lufkin, Texas to a dermatology clinic for a couple of MOHs surgeries to remove Basel Cell Carcinomas. The surgeries went well, and everything was fine.

About five weeks later, I began to experience an intense itching.

As you may or may not know, one of the symptoms of liver diseases is called "pruritis". It is the result of the compromised liver inability to remove the bilirubin from the blood. Bilirubin is dead red blood cells which turn yellow. When the bilirubin is not removed by the liver, it causes jaundice, and it makes one itch.

Seeing as to how I have an autoimmune liver issue, I chalked the itching up to the liver issue that I have been dealing with since 1998. BUT, I wasn't turning yellow, and my Liver Function blood tests showed that everything was "normal".

Nonetheless, I was experiencing intense itching, and then on Crimmas Day, I began experiencing a rash of little red bumps that reached from between my fingers, up my arms across my chest, across my shoulder, and around my waist.

Liver based pruritis doesn't produce rash. This was something else.

Because of the holiday season, my Primary Care Physician was unavailable till January 5. 2017. I made the appointment, and was diagnosed with an infestation of Sarcoptes Scabiei var. Hominis, commonly known a "Scabies".

As you may or may not know, Sarcoptes Scabiei is an eight legged insect, called a "mite", and it is smaller than the period at the end of this sentence. If one of the little bastages gets on a human, it burrow under the skin, and begins laying eggs, and pooping in the burrow. One's immune system begins to react to this invasion, and the result is intense itching, and a rash of little red bumps.

Scabies is usually communicable by skin to skin contact. But the Scabies mite can migrate off of an infested body on to an inanimate object, such as a chair, sofa, bed, doorknob, shopping cart handle, and etc., where it can survive for up to seventy-two hours. Any object that has been infested is called a "fomite".

Well, due to having a chemically suppressed immune system, which is the therapy for the liver issue, I have NOT had any contact with another human, but since it takes four to six weeks for the Scabies itching&rash to develop, I suspect that what happened was: Someone with Scabies went to the dermatologist about it, dropped some Scabies mites on the sofas in the waiting room, and when I went for surgery, I sat on the sofa, and picked up one of the little SOBs.

So what to do?

As it turns out, there is a standard therapy for Scabies.

It is called "Elimite".

Elimite is a 5% Permethrin salve that one applies to ones body from the jaw to the soles of one's feet, leaving not a single square centimeter of skin in covered. This is left on the skin for ten to fourteen hours and then showered off. This therapy is 95% efficient in eliminating the Scabies mite, and eggs.

And so my Primary Care Physician prescribed Elimite for me!

Now you might think that this would be the end of the story, wouldn't you. Well would it were the case.

Am going to end this first post here as this is going to get too long.

Will just say: "To Be Continued".

JC
  2. Coosawjack

Coosawjack Member

DANG JC......WHAT NEXT??:eek:
  3. JCAllison

Hey All,
    When we last left JC, he was in possession of a 60 gram tube of Elimite salve, which he was supposed to slather all over his body, leaving only his head unslathered.

Alas, there is no way for him to cover his back. Someone else will have to be enlisted to do THAT. But for someone else to perform that function means that they will expose themselves to being infested with the Scabies mite.

The solution to that problem is to have a healthcare worker do the deed, as they would have the equipment (gloves, gowns, and etc.) to isolate themselves from the infesting mite.

So there is in the area here an organization of Nurses who go to a patient's home, and perform various healthcare functions. In July of 2015, I had a Squamous Cell Carcinoma removed from my left arm, the Nurses came thrice weekly to clean&bandage the surgical wound.

I subsequently gave them a call to see if they could come slather my back. They couldn't do it, as it is a "one-time" thing, and they don't do single visit functions.

In the meantime, being a bit concerned about putting a neurotoxin such as Permethrin on my skin, which when absorbed by the skin is then processed by the liver, and is then passed off in urine, and considering that my liver is already compromised, I decided to contact my Liver MDeity to get his considered opinion about using the Elimite.

It's a good thing I did, because it turns out that there is a "drug interaction" that takes place between Prednisone and Permethrin!

As you may or may not know, Prednisone is a corticosteroid that is used to affect what is called the HPAA (Hypothalamus/Pituitary/Adrenal/Axis), which results in the suppression of the immune system. I've been taking 10mg of Prednisone for eighteen years to keep my immune system from attacking my liver.

So what happens when one is taking Prednisone, and then starts using Permethrin? It promotes Liver Bile Duct Cancer!

Uh oh! That'll kill! At least itching, while maddening, won't cause death.

So what to do NOW?

The logical next step is to become educated about Scabies, and the Internet is rife with information on the subject. Here are a few of the things that was learned:

There is a world-wide epidemic of Scabies! It is growing at the rate of 300,000,000 cases a year! That's nearly the population of the United States!

Due to the common use of Permethrin, the Scabies mites are in the process of developing an immunity to Permethrin.

It is a normal circumstance that an average infestation of Scabies usually consists of only ten to fifteen mites. BUT for people with suppressed immune systems, there is a condition called: "Crusted Scabies", which involves an infestation of millions of Scabies mites on a single human. The little things completely cover one's body! It is thought to be akin to Leprosy.

So in becoming educated on the subject, have come across a plethora of "home-remedies", "snake-oil schemes", "traditional-cures", "exotic-substances", and entire programs that may or may not rid one of this insidious infestation.

What follows is a description of the "All-Out-War Caper" that is taking place here at the AllisonWonderland compound, in the forest of Deep East Texas.

TO BE CONTINUED

JC
  4. Coosawjack

Coosawjack Member

DANG AGAIN JC.....WHAT NEXT PRAY TELL???o_O
  5. JCAllison

Hey All,
    When we last left JC, he was in possession of an unusable (and for him, deadly) 60 gram tube of Elimite 5% Permethrin salve.

He had, in the past three weeks since Crimmas day, spent countless hours researching the various Internet sites pertaining to Scabies. Much of the information was redundant, but there slowly had become in his mind, a mosaic of info that morphed into a "big picture" type of understanding, that once gathered permitted the "grokking" of subject.

JC had slowly, but surely come to the conclusion that something strange was going on, and that the world-wide healthcare industry had relegated the world-wide Scabies epidemic to a YO-YO status (YO-YO = You're On Your Own)! This is evidenced by the reticence of the healthcare industry to actually address a "sure-fire cure" for the epidemic. It is turning into a "cash-cow", with all sorts of costly remedies, each accompanied with a weasel-worded caveat that this may or may not work!

Every product, every regimen, every strategy has so many requirements that no matter how carefully one follows the instructions, there are still weasel worded "outs" that can be relied upon to negate the return of money even though there is a money-back guarantee offered for each of these programs.

And here is the kicker... Remember that the Sarcoptes Scabiei var. Hominis is virtually "microscopic", and a single, fertile female mite is an entire infestation. The kicker is that EVERY... EVERY... EVERY single mite has to be killed, or the infestation continues.

Here is an illustration of the Sarcoptes Scabiei var. Hominis.
    getty_rm_photo_of_sem_scabies_parasite.jpg
    Finding a killing every single mite is ABSOLUTELY necessary. If a single mite is still around, there is a possibility of re-infestation, and then the whole War has to be fought all over again.

So what follows is JC's personal strategy in the waging of the All-Out-War Caper:

We start with the given set of facts, which was gleaned from hundreds of hours of research. We start with the weapons:

There is some amount of evidence that Clove Oil kills Scabies mites and the eggs in the burrows in which they are laid. The problems with using Clove Oil is that too much can be lethal to the host, and that one has to get the Clove Oil to the immediate vicinity of the Scabies' mites burrow. There is a way to find the Scabies mites burrow. Details about that will be expostulated a bit further on.

There is some amount of evidence that Neem Oil keeps Scabies mites from mating and reproducing. How it does this is thought to have something to do with the odor/scent of the Neem oil, which when applied to one's skin make one smell like a Shrimp Egg Roll!

There is some amount of evidence that Tea Tree Oil has a limiting effect on the Scabies mite. How it does this is unknown, but the stuff smells kind of "bad", which traditionally is considered to be a quality of "good" medicine.

There is some amount of evidence that Sulphur will kill Scabies mites if they get it on them. Thus there are a number of methods of applying Sulphur to one's body (pastes, salves, soaps, and etc.).

There is some amount of evidence that Coconut Oil has a therapeutic effect on the Scabies infestation, possibly by smothering them.

There is some amount of evidence that "food grade" Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is efficacious in combating the Scabies mite by abrade the mite's exoskeleton, causing loss of moisture, and in turn dehydrating the Scabies mite to death.

There is some amount of evidence that a number of common household products will kill the Scabies mite. These common household products include: Chlorine Bleach (Clorox), OxyClean, Boraxo, White Vinegar, Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, Arm&Hammer Soda, rubbing alcohol, Cayenne Pepper (Tabasco Sauce), Tumeric, and Hydrogen Peroxide (among others).

There is some amount of evidence that hot-water laundering kills the Scabies mites, though cold-water laundering will apparently do as well, as it is drowning that does the killing.

There is some amount of evidence that drying clothes in 120 temperatures for 30 minutes will kill the Scabies mites, drying them out, killing them by dehydration. Strangely, there is evidence that one does NOT have to wash, and then dry objects to kill the Scabies mites. Just using a 120 degree setting in the dryer and putting unwashed clothing in that environment will do away with the mites.

There is some amount of evidence that quarantining clothing, bedding, towels, washrags, pillows, quilts, comforters, hats, gloves, and etc., for four days will kill the Scabies mites, because the Scabies mites cannot survive for seventy-two hours off of a human host.

So armed with this arsenal of products&information, here is the battle plan:

TO BE CONTINUED

JC
  6. JCAllison

Hey All,
    When we last left JC, he was in the process of waging All-Out-War against the Sarcoptes Scabiei var. Hominis Scabies mite.

Have ordered four ounces of Clove Oil, four ounces of Tea Tree Oil, sixteen ounces of Neem Oil. Have obtained thirty-two ounces of Coconut Oil. Already had two pounds of DE. Already had a Hemp Back Scrubber, and Body Mitt, but ordered another set. Have obtained two gallons of White Vinegar, thirty two ounces of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, sixteen ounces of Hydrogen Peroxide. Already had a gallon of Clorox, but obtained a box of Boraxo, and a container of OxyClean. And already had a spray bottle of PetCor (a Permethrin flea spray for use on cats), but which is now being used to spray such items as the Computer Chair, Lorrie Van Haul's Seat, his shoes, hat band, and the mattress between linen changes, and a box of Arm&Hammer Soda.

Have made up four sets of bedding, each consisting of: two blankets; two pillows; two pillow cases; a fitted sheet; and a flat sheet. Each set has its dedicated place out of the way where it can sit for three days unused.

Have made up individual containers for the following mixtures:

Two ounces of Neem Oil, thirty drops of Tea Tree Oil, fifteen drops of Clove Oil, and enough DE to make a spreadable paste. This is applied to the red rash bumps.

Two ounces of Coconut Oil, thirty drops of Clove Oil, and an ounce each of Hydrogen Peroxide, and Rubbing Alcohol. This is also applied to the red rash bumps alternating with the Neem Oil based paste.

Have made up eight sets of towels, for use in the two showers a day that are taken (one at 4:30 a.m. and one at 4:30 p.m.). And here is the shower routine:

All clothing is removed, and put in the Clothes Dryer set on High Heat, and turned on.

Then, for the morning Shower Routine, the Hemp Body and Back Scrubbers are soaked with White Vinegar, and used to exfoliate the entire body. Once this is done, the White Vinegar is allowed to air dry. This effectively changes the pH of the skin.

Next, the White Vinegar is rinsed off in the shower in as hot a water as can be stood. BTW, this makes me itch TERRIFYINGLY! This itch is mitigated by using the Hemp Body&Back Scrubber, which is actually quite enjoyable. This is done till the itching stops.

Next, a scrubbing with Dial Soap is done to completely remove any White Vinegar residue. The soap is then rinsed off completely.

Once the shower is finished, the skin is patted dry, and using a Viva Paper Towel soaked with Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar the skin is wiped. This causes every red rash bump to "sting".

Then using the same Viva Paper Towel, but with Hydrogen Peroxide added, the skin is again wiped. This stops the red rash bumps from stinging.

Once completely dry, the above described Neem oil concoction is rubbed into the red rash bump areas, and left on the skin all day.

By this time the Dryer has completed its cycle, and hopefully any Scabies mites that were on the clothes are dead, the clothing is removed from the Dryer, and quarantined in a dedicated area for four days before being used again.

Clean Sweat Socks, Scrubs (or Sweat Pants, depending on the ambient temperature), and long-sleeved T-Shirts are donned, and the day is taken on in as normal a routine as possible.

The evening Shower Routine is the same except for the application of the Coconut Oil concoction is used, and left on all night.

Before retiring, the Bed Linens are changed, with the Mattress Cover sprayed with PetCor and let to dry before the Fitted Sheet is put on. The removed linens are then run through a cycle of the Clothes Dryer, and quarantined for four day.

Have been doing this routine since January 7, and have been experiencing less and less itching, a lessening of red rash bumps, and the hot shower doesn't make a terrifying itch any longer.

There might not even be any mites left, but one will not know for sure till ALL the red rash bumps are gone, and there is no more itching. But the problem with THAT is that the it takes three to five weeks for the body to heal the red rash bumps, and to remove the dead eggs, and scybala (that's what Scabies' mite's poop is called) from the epidermis. But as long as the itching is subsiding, the red rash bumps are mitigating, and there are no more "burrow", one can surmise that the regimen is succeeding.

If at any time during this process a single, LIVING, female Scabies mite is left, there will be a re-infestation, and the War will have to continue.

The result of all this folderol is that I don't itch at night, and can sleep peacefully. I don't itch during the day, though it feels good to scratch. The red rash bumps are disappearing, stinging less when ACV is applied, itching less when hot showering.

And before I forget, let me add that once everything is cleaned up, all the tile floors are sprayed down with Clorox. Laundry is done with Laundry Detergent, Boraxo, OxyClean, PineSol, and Baking Soda.

But there is MORE: TO BE CONTINUED

JC
  7. JCAllison

Hey All,
    There are all kinds of details involved in this All-Out-War against the Scabies. Like in the past twenty-one days, have taken over sixty showers, done the laundry once a day, have used a gallon of White Vinegar, and six bars of Dial soap!

Am dreading the coming electric bill since running the Clothes Dryer two cycles per day.

Another nuance is that when one scratches the itches, it is possible to pick up Scabies mites under one's fingernails, and so the fingernails have to be cut short to keep that from happening.

One has to ask: How come it is that I will have lived seventy-eight years on the 30th of this month without having ever been infested with anything like this damnable bug? And actually, I had only heard it mentioned once or twice in all those year. And then, all of a sudden, 300 million people world wide are being infested yearly?

Some of the "authoritarian" sources (CDC, WHO, and the name health centers (Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins, Bethesda Naval Hospital)) have allowed as to how the Scabies mite, while unable to live more than only seventy-two hours off of a human host, can in some instances live longer than that in warm, humid weather.

Could it be that the warmth&humidity here in the Deep East Texas Forest is more conducive to the survival of the Scabies mite? And isn't the whole world supposedly getting warmer?

For some time now, I've been suspecting something that I can't prove, but that doesn't keep me from suspecting that the earth is a huge, living thing. And that we humans have reached a point to where we are to it, what the Scabies mites are to us. Might it not be that the Scabies mites along with all the other mites, manges, pests, and invasive organisms, such as the viruses like Ebola, and molds, fungi, and toxins such as Anthrax, and the various communicable diseases, are the mechanisms that comprise the living earth's immune system? And that the earth is starting to wage a war against US?

And if, in fact, these organisms can live longer in warm, humid environs, then there will be more&more infestations, spread by means such a fomited money, fomited communally used equipment such as shopping carts, and public facilities.

As mentioned previously, I suspected that the infestation that I am battling was contracted at a dermatology clinic, but THAT is but a suspicion, for in talking with my neighbor Robert, he allowed as to how he has also be itching, and has red rash bumps all over his legs, back, and chest, and that he has not been doing anything to combat it other than hoping it goes away.

I warned him that it could be Scabies, but he shrugged off the suggestion.

So what kind of protocol should one institute in sight of having this kind of communicable bug? I've not let anyone come visit, though because of this liver issue, no one has been allowed to do that since 1998. And I don't go to anyone else's places. I don't shake hands with anyone, explaining that I have a medically suppressed immune system. I have been to the Primary Care Physician's Clinic, but I warned them of the situation, and didn't go into their waiting room, but rather stayed outside till they called me in, and after going in, I didn't touch anything, sit down anywhere, let them check my blood pressure, take my temperature, or check my oxygen level.

It has been a full time project dealing with this for the past three weeks, and because of the lag time between riddance and complete healing, it will most likely go on for another month or two.

In the meantime, a benefit has occurred in the wake of this ordeal, and that is my house has undergone the most thorough cleaning that it has had in the twenty-seven years that I've lived here. It continues to get cleaner&cleaner as each day is filled with some manner of housekeeping.

Also, there are still some measures that can be taken. Have not tried the Sulphur bearing products yet. And there are procedures that involve bathing (instead of showering) where one soaks in a tub infused with the various "stuffs", like the oils, and acids (vinegars).

Also, there is, for resistant cases, where all else has failed, an oral med called Ivermectin, but it is highly toxic, and is kind of a "last resort".

Have run across, while doing the research, cases where people have been infested for decades, unable to get rid of this scourge. And historical examples such as: It is documented that Napoleon Bonapart had Scabies all his life.

While all of this is not very pleasant, it is far from being uninteresting. Though it will feel so good to be over it (if indeed it is ever conquered).

In the meantime, the battle rages on. Sometimes it feels like I'm winning. Sometimes no so much. But I am encouraged by the fact that the red rash bumps are diminishing, that the hot showers are not as itchy, that the ACV doesn't sting as much, that the Shower Routine mitigates the itching at night.

Oh, and one last thing... There are Sarcoptes Scabiei vars. Caninis, and Felinis, which are the mites that cause "mange" in Dogs&Cats. And the traditional cure for "mange" is dipping the animal in "used" petroleum products, such a old Motor Oil, or Gear Lubricant. Make me wonder if maybe what's in Lorrie's and Ms. American's Differentials might just be the answer. I mean if it works on Dogs&Cats.... Just saying.

Anyway, will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

JC
  8. ford4v429

ford4v429 Member

wow, sorry to hear of your dilemma JC...bugs can be a nightmare- a friend of ours(has a daughter that had same lung disease as our Mike- how we met) had two daughters in jr high school, somehow one picked up goofy headlice- it can happen anywhere. they have a new home, one dog, spotlessly clean, yet one of the girls apparently picked it up in school(both have waist length hair) and my gosh they went thru over a month of greif, sounded quite similar to what you are dealing with- the interactions were other though as the dad and daughters all have a hemophilia like blood disorder that has them on special meds too... they went far as removing all carpeting, every curtain/cushion/blanket/etc laundered/baked in dryer then sealed in airtight bags a few days until every soft surface was sealed up, all clothing, fumigated cars, crazy stuff... thankful ive never seen such a ordeal worst i ever had was fleas in the house back in the late 80's, weird weather, everyone i knew with a dog in the house was dealing with them...
    i agree with your thoughts on this old planet getting ready to shrug us off too...nature seems to self treat its ills... just read tonight about a lady that died from some weird bacterial infection she brought home from India, and no treatment in the USA could combat it at all...superbugs gonna be a bigger issue as time marches on.
    glad you got a handle on the situation, best of luck in getting them eradicated(and staying gone). Hope Robert is paying attention too- could be goofy weather/regional thing bringing them outside
    tim
  9. JCAllison

Hey Tim,
    A major inconvenience. Am doing almost everything that can be done, hoping for the best. If what is being done doesn't work, will have to go to whatever is left to do. If THAT doesn't work, don't know what else to do.

There are all kinds of weird infestations appearing. Some that have never been seen before. Have you ever heard of "Morgellons"? Google it. Look at what the Mayo Clinic has to say about it... "Mystery Disease". Strange symptoms. Sores that won't heal, and that contain either filaments (have seen references to Red threads, or Blue threads). CDC doesn't know what causes it. Haven't seen any info on curing it. There is something strange going on.

Fleas are a walk in the park compared to the Sarcoptes Scabiei. With Fleas, spraying the carpets/floors with Conquer&Precor solves the problem until the next year's invasion.

Not to mention bio-terrorism, and biological warfare. And all this is just a razor thin step away from what the conspiracy nutz have been postulating.

Saw that!

This could get messy.

If indeed I actually do have a handle on the situation. I don't know what else to do, other than take all the information about everything and try it all.

Thanks. What is being done seems to be making things better, but we're still in a kind of Limbo, because even when the bug has been eliminated, there's a lag time of like four weeks till all the symptoms (itching&red rash bumps) cease.

I'm kind of distancing myself from poor old Robert. And you see, he is going to have a much bigger problem that I do. He has other people around him (wife, son, son's friends, schoolmates, cats with mange, and neighbors that visit frequently). If any of them have it, they just reinfest anyone who gets rid of the infestation. They ALL have to be mite-free, or it just continues to go on and on.

I don't have any of that kind of complication because I'm virtually isolated. Closest I come to any contact is the Bank, the Post Office, the Grocery Store, Hardware Store, and the Health Clinics. And I don't have physical contact with anyone at any of these places.

Am wondering how long it is going to be before an epidemic is declared?

I'll say it again... Something strange is happening, and no one seems to be noticing until it affect them.

Anyway, am doing the Laundry, and have to do the morning shower routine.

Hope YOU are well.

Take extra care.

JC
  10. JCAllison

Hey All,
    Am declaring an exploratory cease-fire in the all-out-war on the Sarcoptes Scabiei mite because after having done the Shower Routine yesterday morning, but NOT last evening, had a night's sleep without experiencing any itching.

Did a "regular" Shower Routine this morning, without the White Vinegar pre-shower rubdown, and without the post-shower application of Apple Cider Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide, and have not experienced any itching for the rest of the day.

Also, yesterday the red rash bumps had changed from being "bumps" to being but red rash "spots", and after this morning's shower, the red rash spots had all but totally disappeared.

Also, it had been usual to itch terribly when taking a hot shower. That has ceased to be the case.

It may be that the mites have been eradicated, and all that is left is the scybala, and residue of dead mite eggs which the body's natural processes will eliminate in two to four weeks (or so the "authorities" proffer), but which may hopefully happen more quickly.

Am going to continue doing the regular Shower Routine in the morning (which has always been usual), and hopefully will be able to discontinue the tumble drying at high temperature of worn clothing, and the daily changing of bed linens.

Will let you know how it goes.

JC
  11. Coosawjack

Coosawjack Member

GREAT NEWS JC....glad you appear to have won the war!!:D
  12. JCAllison

Hey Jack,
    Not so fast there...

As was mentioned, this hiatus is an "exploratory cease-fire".

As also mentioned previously, if there is just ONE of the these little bitches surviving on the skin, then one is STILL infested.

Also, just because the mites are gone doesn't mean the itching stops.

Didn't shower last evening before retiring, and had a "low-grade" itching, which didn't keep me from sleeping, BUT this morning, there is more itching than there was yesterday morning.

So don't know it this is just the normal itching that happens between the time of total eradication and the time of the body finally removes the source of the irritation, OR if this is evidence that there is still an infestation.

There are still a small number of red rash-bumps that have not disappeared.

Am going to be doing my regular shower routine this morning, and watching carefully for the rest of the day. If the itching is still perceptible, am going to shower this evening before retiring. Will then see how things are in the morning.

Have to get out&about today for grocery shopping. BUT, we've been having heavy rains, and the Weather Guesser's radar shows more on the way, so that may be a bit more difficult that would be optimal.

Then there is the NEXT part of the Carport Caper to do, which is to go to Lowe's in Livingston to get the materials necessary to do the rest of the enclosure on the existing structure. Still, even if the materials were here, the weather would keep the construction from happening.

The upshot of all this is that we are once again in a holding pattern, as the days drop like grains of sand through the hour-glass.

Hope this finds YOU, and Mr. Bear doing well.

Take care.

JC
  13. Coosawjack

Coosawjack Member

Still sounds better than your first post......I'm confident you're WINNING JC!!;)

We are well and Mr. Bear says......WOOF!!:D

Travel safe today!!:cool:
  14. JCAllison

Hey Jack,
    Am doing better than when this first started. BUT, it's obviously not over yet.

I have no doubt that this will eventually be overcome, but it's REALLY hard to know when THAT has happened. The itching doesn't stop right after the mites are COMPLETELY gone, so there's no way to know that they REALLY are gone.

Am going to have to just keep doing everything to get rid of them till the itching TOTALLY stops, and even then, it might take continuing to do everything for a while.

As has been mentioned a number of times previously, it take two to four weeks after the mites are COMPLETELY gone for the itching to TOTALLY stop. Plus, all it takes is getting another SINGLE mite on the skin to restart the infestation.

Plus it has gotten expensive. The electric bill is going to be WAY UP because of the washing&drying of clothes&bedding! And the cost of the Oils, and Laundry Products, not to mention the time&energy spent doing everything is also a drag.

GREAT! Am going to be letting Capurrr the Kitten out into the Kitty Kastle soon because she has grown to be too big to get through the Lattice. BUT, that doesn't mean that she hasn't found a breach somewhere. So when she is finally allowed to go out, am going to watch where she goes, and what she does. Have put up Hardware Fabric patches everywhere she could possibly squeeze through, but she is a smart little thing, so watching her is necessary.

The errand running is going to have to be done later this afternoon because of the HUGE rain storm that is on it's way. Have been watching the Weather Guesser's radar, and the precipitation won't be done till early afternoon. I don't like going out when it's raining.

Anyway, will let you all know how things go.

Take care everyone.

JC
  15. Coosawjack

Coosawjack Member

GOOD LUCK JC.......photos of Capurrr when ya have time!!;)
  16. JCAllison

Hey Jack,
    Don't know for sure that the Sarcoptes Scabiei are gone because the itching continues for a while after they have been eliminated, but the itching is less, the red rash bumps are gone, the red rash spots are fading, and the hot shower doesn't cause the intensity of itching that it originally did.

Am hoping they are gone, but am not going to give up the shower, clothing, and bedding routine till there is absolutely no itching, no red rash spots, and a hot shower is just a hot shower.

The first two is when she was just a kitten:
    CAPURRR01.JPG

CAPURRR02.JPG
    This next one is Capurrr today. That's WanTan behind her. Capurrr is a scamp. WanTan is a trouble maker. Likes to open the kitchen cabinets and knock my medication bottles onto the counter.
    CAPURRR04.JPG
    This next one is Capurrr and Harlequin. Harley is the oldest cat here. Twenty-four years, going on twenty-five. Have never had a cat live that long before. She is frail, but still eats enthusiastically, and likes to be combed, brushed, petted, and cuddled. When I pet her, she flops down so that I can scratch her tummy. Sweet old cat.
    CAPURRR06.JPG
    Am experiencing a severe case of cabin fever. It's been raining almost ALL day for the past eight days. Supposed to clear tomorrow, and get windy, with gusts supposedly up to fifty MPH.

Got outside today during a lull in the precipitation and put the Exposed Element Air Cleaner on Ms. American. The thought occurred to me that the Mud Dauber Wasps could possibly try to build a nest in the Autolite 4100, or in the Oil Filler Tube.

Have been having some irregular heart beats, and hypoglycemia. Don't know what that is going to lead to. Am thinking the arrhythmia is possibly due to the amount of caffeine that I've been consuming. Have been drinking D'Ario's spiked with Starbuck's Sumatra. It has quite a kick.

Am thinking that the hypoglycemia is just because I don't eat until I get hungry. Am going to have to start keeping track of when to eat. Need protein like maybe four times a day.

Anyway, next week is supposed to be clear&sunny. Have my list of stuff to get from Lowe's in Livingston, and if I can muster the energy, will go get everything, and start enclosing the Carport.

Hope this finds YOU doing well.

Take care.

JC
  17. Coosawjack

Coosawjack Member

WOW......Capurrr grew up to be a very nice lookin' cat JC!! Is she tame or still sorta wild??:eek:

Hope ya got the mites on the run.......sounds like continued treatment for awhile is a GOOD plan!!;)

We have rain here today and tomorrow and still crazy warm........15*-20* above normal but I ain't complainin'!!:)

Have a good evening and take care of yourself and your CRITTERS!!:D
  18. JCAllison

Hey Jack,
    She has a definite air of elegance about her, but has yet to attain the confidence about what she does that the more adult cats have. She's not yet sure that the existence in which she finds herself is reliably permanent, but she is learning.

She doesn't seem to have any "feral" characteristics. As for "sorta wild", she isn't "wild", but she IS very "scampish". By that I mean, she will invite being petted or cuddled, but about half the time, if she is approached after her invitation, she will let me (or one of the other cats) get almost to her, and then she will want to "play", which manifests as a scampering away with a "chase me... chase me" demeanor.

I'm unable to chase her, but Slimbeezy or Kaboodle are more than a match for her, and that results in an occasional "romp", up the stairs, through the hall, over the bed, back onto the floor, back through the hall, down the stairs, ending with a tussle on the living room carpet. It's fun to watch.

The other half of the time, the invitation to pet&cuddle is met with a pliant surrender accompanied with a fervent purring. She's a VERY nice little cat.

I think that what is being fought NOW is the mite hatchlings. They hatch into what are called "nymphs", and then they dig to just below the surface of the skin which makes a little round bump, where they mature by metamorphosis into adult mites.

They then have to mate to become fertile, egg laying females. The frequent showering is done to wash them off the skin before they burrow. The little round bumps can be found by careful examination. After being found if one punctures the bump and then treats it with Clove Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Neem Oil, Alcohol, Peroxide, or a dab of Elimite, the nymph dies. As mentioned previously, not a single mite can be let survive or the infestation endures.

It's supposed to be clear and windy here today. It's still dark out, so haven't been able to see what it's like yet.

Right. You too. And NOW, I see it time to clean up the kitchen and get on with the day. Take care.

JC
  19. Coosawjack

Coosawjack Member

Just curious JC......do these mites infest Critters too......Cats??o_O
  20. JCAllison

Hey Jack,
    Yes. It's called "mange". It too is caused by a Sarcoptes Scabiei mite, but it isn't a "var Hominis" mite. It can get on a human, and bite, but it can't propagate.

There is a separate Sarcoptes Scabiei mite for dogs, and one for cats, and one for people (which can also get on pigs, and sheep), but animals, in most cases get their own specie of Scabies.

Only the Sarcoptes Scabiei var Hominis causes human Scabies.

Here's the Government Center for Disease Control webpage about Scabies. The page about their "biology" is interesting.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/scabies/index.html

None of my cats have mange because they don't come into contact with any other cats because they are either in the house, or in the Kitty Kastle. ALL of neighbor Robert's are outdoor cats, and they ALL have mange. He can't afford to have them treated. I'd like to help him, but don't dare go around his place because it is infested with human variety scabies, which would get me, and it is also infested with animal variety which would get my cats.

Recently read an article saying that the GREAT Middle East to Europe Migration in response to the religious violence that is happening in and southeast of the Levant (that's the name of the area on the east and south shores of the Mediterranean Sea) is experiencing an epidemic of lice&scabies. The migration is spreading the lice&scabies up into Europe. It's a terrible thing that is happening over there.

Anyway, a bit of NEWS from here about Capurrr. She is old enough to come into heat! She started this morning putting the hustle on Slimbeezy, Jake, and Kaboodle (who is a female). Capurrr doesn't know what is happening since this is a first time experience. She is so cute though. She makes these little "mewing" sounds, and is just so cuddley. She assumes the mating "posture" with her tail off to the side. She is such a "sexy" little kitten.

She and Kaboodle are the only two felines here who are not "fixed". Kaboodle used to come into heat often, and while Capurrr just mews, Kabby would scream. Even though Jake is neutered, he still tries to help her out. It's kind of comical, but kind of sad too, because Kabby and Capurrr would LOVE to have kittens, but one can't get rid of kittens around here, and the cats that are already here are going to outlive me as is. It worries me, but what will be will be.

Anyway, we've been given a severe weather warning by the National Weather Service. Supposed to be a strong wind storm, but so far, it's just overcast and still.

JC
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017