1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

The GREAT Make Ms. American 3.14159 Completely Reliable Caper

Discussion in 'Ford Galaxie' started by JCAllison, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Nite-owl

Nite-owl Member

Hi there,

The nicks and dents reminds me of my Bell Housing. The inside is littered with them. There was even a hole! I found a tooth from a starter in it. The torque converter played havik with it.
    The starter has all of it's teeth, so iether the starter or the Bendix where replaced without searching for the missing tooth.

Fortunatly, I found some one that could weld aluminum.

Mel
  2. ford4v429

ford4v429 Member

yep, the 06 mustang... almost 12 yrs old now, a 'older' car to most folks, still seems 'newish' to me though- best car ive ever owned for sure...been flogged somewhat, but try not to be too abusive- the autocrossing is a brake killer- especially as 'two driver' cars dont get much cool down time between runs when the son goes with me- barely time to switch numbers and trade seats... ive had to pull out of line a few times as brakes were stinkin bad enough I knew we were pushing our luck...funny, Id aleays thought these cars had incredible brakes, soon found that repeated heavy use even for one minute is rough on them...
    there is a corvette that runs out there with some kind of ceramic brakes- really wild to see- when he dives on the brakes, sparks fly! dont think I want my car doing that, but might look at some ducting/modifying the dust shields this winter- its really a lot of fun finding both you and your cars limits in a safe/controlled environment- one of the funnest days it was raining cats and dogs, working the course sucked, but driving was truly interesting- i woulda never in a million years thought that car could stick in the rain that well, and throttle oversteer was pretty easy to control. I hope the 4.10 gears dont mess up the balance too bad- its pretty predictable, dont try to swap ends or anything, know the lower gears are gonna change it a little, but Ive got taller/wider tires, so, hope it evens out.

so when are we gonna see this unicorn? :) also, if youre going to sell copies of your tapes, please let me know how much and put me in line for a set too- would
    be kinda cool to see. if you are wanting to try to get some exposure, try talking to Scott Page- he was the sax player for Pink Floyd back in the 80's, is a super nice guy, well connected, and his passion(aside from his playing) is helping artists market their talents- mostly younger artists, but hey, 70's aint old anymore right :) seriously, that stuff is right up his alley- he has a company called new media broadcasting, been around about 15 yrs now, he got started putting all Monte Pythons old stuff online for them, and he has a radio show where he gets new talents some exposure...

got the gears in my car tonight, tomorrow gotta put the driveshaft back in and fill it with oil, wish me luck on a test drive tomorrow night if all goes well... blueing shows a nice pattern, hope they run quiet- chinese gears, who knows... does have Timken bearings now where Ford had used asian stuff...hope to get at least a few hundred miles on them before romping on them...

Attached Files:

3. JCAllison

JCAllison Well-Known Member

Hey Mr. Action,
    On Lorrie, the Water Outlet is where the Thermostat is located, AND that is also where the Temperature Gauge Pick-Up Unit is mounted (this is NOT stock). All held in place with Two Bolts, easy peasy to get to. Easy peasy to change since it it right on the Top and Front of the Engine.

Am going to have to have Lorrie take me to pick up the Starter at Smith Auto Electric. And just now, had a faint recollection that there is already a NEW Thermostat here on the shelf. Got up to go look, and wonder-of-wonders, found a BRAND NEW NAPA 530060 SuperStat complete with Gasket sitting there pretty as you please!

Am going to make it a project to install it BEFORE the Starter is finished so that hopefully Lorrie's heating issue will be solved.

Actually, we don't KNOW for sure that the problem is the Thermostat, but this will either solve, or eliminate THAT part of the issue.

This is EXACTLY the case. Around town here, Lorrie is fine. It's just when going along at highway speeds that the temperature rises.

Don't think that the Radiator is the problem. Will be out today doing the research and contemplation the installation of the NEW Thermostat.

Thanks. Will let you know how it goes.

Take care.

JC
  4. JCAllison

Hey Mel,
    Little pieces of hard stuff CAN and WILL wreak havoc with meshing gear teeth. When Ms. American's Driven Disk came apart on Crimmas Day a few years back, the Springs in the Center of the Disk broke and came loose. They were rattling arpimd in the Bell Housing. Fortunately, none of them got in between the Starter and Flywheel Gear Teeth.

Thirsty Lady has an Aluminum Bell Housing? Am thinking that the 3.14 has an Iron Bell Housing.

Things are presently in a more relaxed mode here. Am not in such a blither to work on stuff. Have just this morning gotten word from the fellow doing the restoration and digitalizing of the Sensatiation TV Programs that one of the Reels that was sent last week and which arrived there yesterday was BLANK. This means that instead of having six programs, there are only five. Kind of a disappointment, but what is, IS.

Anyway, weather here has turned cooler. Had to get up last night and put a blanket on the bed, and turn off the fans. Got down to 58 degrees. AND low humidity! Perfect weather in which to work.

Hope YOU and Thirsty Lady are persisting.

Take care.

JC
  5. JCAllison

Hey Tim,
    Isn't it strange that stuff that was gotten when it was NEW, seems to always STAY new? That's happened with all the MIDI Music Equipment here. It was gotten back in the mid and late '80's. It still does what it does, and is in GREAT condition. But it is antique by today's standards.

"Responsible Abuse". Hmmmm, sort of an oxymoron! :)

"Safe Danger". Hmmmm, another oxymoron! :)

Some years ago (back in the late '60's), had a Fiat Abarth OT1000 Bertone Spyder.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fia....69i57j0l5.19930j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Groovy little car. Had put some REALLY WIDE Goodyear GT tires. It was light enough to hydroplane REALLY easily when it rained. There was a speed at which it would act like it was going REALLY fast in the dry! Could put it into sustained drifts at about 50 MPH in the wet. Had an occasion to drive the little OT1000 on a wet parking lot with no obstructions. Was able to do four wheel drifts, which were controlled by throttle, brakes, and steering. It was like being up over 100MPH but were only going around 30-40 MPH.

Read that there were places in England that are called "Moss Breaks" where drivers would drive on Moss covered area to practice controlling a race car at high speed without the danger inherent of going that fast.

I remember a time when doing THAT was a lot of fun. Somehow, over the years, doing that has lost its allure.

Funny that you should ask. Have it on the schedule to take the JPGs TODAY! If that actually gets done, they photos will be here later today.

Actually, it would probably be illegal to sell DVDs of the Sensatiation Programs because of not owning the music, but, they can be given away. Would be more than glad to send you a set when we get around to doing that.

Am open to this kind of suggestion. Might you be able to supply the specifics about how to contact Scott Page?

Am continually amazed at your blase'-ness when it comes to stuff like this. It intimidates me, and even contemplating doing it produces near-unbearable trepidations and stress. Yet you seem to do it totally "off-handedly". Remarkable!

Anyway, it's almost time to do the morning chore routine, and then will see what can be done about photographing The Staff of the Golden Unicorn with the Faceted Crystal Eyes, and maybe even changing Lorrie Van Haul's Thermostat.

Will let you know how it goes.

Take care. OK?

JC
  6. JCAllison

Hey All,
    Were it not for the fact that The Staff of the Golden Unicorn with the Faceted Crystal Eyes will be riding around in Ms. American 3.14159, this photo essay would be totally off topic. Nonetheless, here are the JPGs that have been promised for a number of weeks now.

Ladies and Gentlemen, for the first time ANYWHERE, meet:
    The Staff of the Golden Unicorn with the Faceted Crystal Eyes:
    MVC-001F.JPG

MVC-002F.JPG

MVC-003F.JPG

MVC-004F.JPG
    This last JPG is of the way the Head of the Staff is connected to the Body of the Staff. The Metal Pieces are the handles of three Forks and one Spoon. The Top of the Staff is removable to change the Batteries that power the LED Chips that are adhered to the Faceted Crystal Balls, the Right one which is seen illuminated in the JPG above.
    MVC-006F.JPG
    Haven't a clue as to what this piece of work will ever be used for, but it is just a wild hare project that I've wanted to do since the Skull was found over two decades ago. Can check it off the bucket list. And now, it's onward through the phog!

Take care everyone.

JC
  7. Nite-owl

Nite-owl Member

Hi there,

Not quite sure if you understood.
    The tooth was, apperantly, thrown around the inside by the torque converter. The only time teeth are meshed is when the engine starts and the rogue tooth would be resting at the bottom.

Come think about it, how would the TC grab the tooth in the first place? Hmm.

Mel
  8. Coosawjack

Coosawjack Member

EEEEEEEEK!!!!!!o_O:confused::eek:o_O:rolleyes:o_O:oops::(:confused:o_O:(
  9. Nite-owl

Nite-owl Member

Hi there,

I dare not doubt that as Ms A is a unique, one of a kind, never seen before vehicle.

The Cruise'o'matic is cast iron and, according to Mr.Action, has two pumps. This means it is possible to push start her.

Anecdote courtesy of Readers Digest:

Mr. Baxter's car wouldn't start. His blonde neighbour, named Cilly, offered her help.
    He asked her to take her car and push his. "We have to go at least 20 MPH to start it." he stated. He got in his car and waited... and waited. When he looked in his mirror, he saw Cilly barrelling down the street at 20 MPH!

I know, I know,

Mel
    ford4v429 likes this.
  10. JCAllison

Hey Mel,
    Would imagine that there is quite a "tornado" caused by something spinning between 600 and 6,000 RPM such as would be the case with something attached to the Flywheel attached to the Crankshaft of an FE Engine.

Are you saying that the Gear Tooth was INSIDE the Torque Converter? How in the hell would it get in there?

BTW, after reading your post, I stood up and almost fell over! One leg was somewhat LONGER than the other! :) :) + LOL!

JC
  11. JCAllison

Hey Jack,
    See what I mean? You wouldn't want to be out in the open with a critter like that on the loose! Can you say "Terrific" (in the strictest sense of the word)?

Anyway, didn't get up the inspiration and energy to work on Lorrie's Thermostat. Will see if it happens tomorrow. Everything happens when it's supposed to happen.

Take care.

JC
  12. JCAllison

Hey Mel,
    I think I read THAT anecdote! Just goes to show that one needs to be as explicit as possible when dealing with situations such as this.

This is part of the tenuousness inherent in the language. We can say stuff that is interpretable.

Throw Papa from the train. A kiss!

What's that in the road? A head?

There's a fork in the road!

I'm hungry. Let's eat Grandma!

:)

JC
  13. Nite-owl

Nite-owl Member

Hi there,

No, It was in the housing. It was slung around By the TC!

Mel
  14. Nite-owl

Nite-owl Member

Me again

That is why Legal Stuff is so dreary to read. It needs to be ONinterpretable!

Mel
  15. JCAllison

Hey Mel,
    Did it do it consistently? I mean, when the Engine was not running, the tooth would settle wherever. Then when the Engine was started, the Torque Converter would whip the tooth up, and it would "clatter" around in the Bell Housing, causing nicks and dents, and even a hole? Then when the Engine was shut down, the tooth would again settle wherever, only to be whipped up again when the Engine was restarted? You could hear this?

And about having found someone who could weld Aluminum: What was Aluminum that needed welding? The hole in the Bell Housing?

You wrote:
    Then you wrote:
    That was what prompted the comment about Ms. American having an iron Bell Housing.

When Ms. American's Driven Disk in the Clutch Assembly came apart, the little Spring Shards settled everywhere: On ledges; in the removable Flywheel Pan on the bottom of the Bell Housing; and by the amount of Spring Shards, it appears that some of them escaped through the Hole through which fits the Arm that activates the Throw Out Bearing. That Arm usually has a Boot on it that seals off the Bell Housing. But it is missing on Ms. American.

When the Driven Disk was replaced, all the Spring Shards were carefully removed. But after the Driven Disk came apart, and after the Spring Shards nicked and dented the Bendix, they DIDN'T rattle around.

Anyway, made a big mistake last evening. Was having a hypoglycemia attack, and needed to eat something. Had a Cup'O'Noodles (Picante Shrimp), and put some Bacon Bits in it. Went to bed, and ended up with the worst case of indigestion EVER. Couldn't sleep. Got up at about 10:30 p.m. Haven't had enough sleep. This doesn't bode well for the coming day, and the changing of Lorrie Van Haul's Thermostat.

Take care.

JC
  16. JCAllison

Hey All,
    Thursday, October 12, 2017, Mid-Morning Update.

Went back to bed at 3:15 a.m. and slept well till 5:45 a.m. Got up and fed the felines at 6:00 a.m. and went back to bed till 7:30 a.m. Got up, cleaned the Kitchen, and did the entire morning routine.

Am taking a bit of a break after having:

Gathered all the necessary Tools, Parts, Materials, and Porcelain Kettles and put them in the vicinity of Lorrie Van Haul's Cooling System.

Used the Push Broom to clean the Pavement around the work area.

Got under Lorrie's Radiator, and opened the Petcock to drain the Anti-Freeze into the Porcelain Kettles. Didn't spill a drop!

Removed the Hose Clamp on the Hose FROM the Radiator TO the Gooseneck Fitting at the Radiator, and slipped the Hose off of the Radiator IN Port.

Used a 9/16" Metrinch Socket, Extension, and Ratchet, to remove the two Bolts from the Gooseneck to Lorrie's MIGHTY 225 Slant Six Engine, and it separated with just a minimum amount of urging, revealing the Thermostat.

The Thermostat looks PERFECTLY normal. There was no crud on it, nor in either the Port into Lorrie's MIGHTY 225 Slant Six, nor in Gooseneck Fitting.

Proceeded to use a Wood Chisel to remove the Gasket, and Sealant from the Engine's and Gooseneck's Mating Surfaces, when all of a sudden, went totally BLIND! Couldn't see a thing! Reason: At THAT very instant, the Sun peeked over the Roof of the House, and was shining in behind my Glasses rendering everything BLACK!

Twas totally useless to continue till the Sun is in a more compatible location.

So decided to take a break. Have the Bolts soaking in Mineral Spirit as a prelude to cleaning them with a Wire Brush Wheel in the Electric Drill.

Compared the OLD Thermostat with the NEW Thermostat, and it is a PERFECT fit.

Am going to finish this post, have something to eat, clean the Bolts, and hopefully by that time, the Sun will have climbed behind the Trees, shading the work area

Weather here is PERFECT for working on Lorrie. About 75 degrees, and remarkably low Humidity.

Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

Take care.

JC
  17. Coosawjack

Coosawjack Member

Ya scared me with that BLIND COMMENT JC.......glad it wasn't really BLINDNESS!!:eek:;)

Good Luck with finishing the thermostat installation.....hope it fixes her up!!:)
  18. JCAllison

Hey Jack,
    It was temporary, but totally BLIND nonetheless. One second was seeing what was being done, and the next second couldn't see ANYTHING!

Me too. BUT, the OLD Thermostat MAY not have been the problem. Nonetheless, just finished the installation. Still need to put the Anti-Freeze back in. Everything went PERFECT & FLAWLESS! That is, right up to the last thing! :(

Was using a Screwdriver to tighten the LAST Hose Clamp. Had just finished the last bit of torqueing, and while pulling the Screw driver out through the Access Port, it slipped from my fingers... and disappeared! It didn't make it to the Pavement under Lorrie, so it is somewhere up inside Lorrie.

Went into the house and got a Lantern to see if it could be seen down in the dark nether regions of Lorrie's Engine Bay, and by the time I got back out to look for it, the Sun had once again reached a breach in the Shade Trees, and was shining right where I had to stand to look for the Screwdriver.

Exasperated, just picked up what needed to come in and left the scene.

Will go out in a bit and see if it can be found, and will put the Anti-Freeze back in the Radiator. Will then start Lorrie's MIGHTY 225 Slant Six to check for leaks. Don't think that there will be any, but one never knows. Will just have to wait and see.

Take care.

JC
  19. JCAllison

Hey All,
    Thursday, October 12, 2017, Mid-Afternoon Update:

Thermostat installation is finished. No leaks at the Thermostat. No leaks at the Radiator Input Port. BUT, there is a little drip, drip, drip, which is most likely Coolant pooled on the Cross Member under the Radiator where the Pet Cock drainage got onto it.

Started Lorrie's MIGHTY 225 Slant Six. It started right up and was EXCEPTIONALLY smooth. Let it idle till the Temperature Gauge showed 160 Degrees. Checked the Radiator Input Hose and it was hot. Took the Radiator Cap off. There was motion of the Coolant, but it was slight. Seems to me that there should have been more than was apparent. Also checked the Radiator Fins. They are clean.

Took Lorrie for a drive. About two miles. never got above 30 MPH. The temperature went up to 180 degrees! That is REALLY not like Lorrie. Am thinking that the problem is/was NOT the OLD Thermostat. Lorrie's Temperature Gauge should not have gotten much above 160 degrees for no more running than was done.

Next culprit... The Water Pump.

OR... Maybe the Distilled Water & Anti-Freeze Coolant has worn out! :)

Am going to let Lorrie sit overnight and let all the moisture on her Cross Member dry up. Have her sitting where the Pavement is clean and dry. Will check on her a couple more times today to see if there are any more wet spots on the Concrete.

Anyway, found the Screwdriver. It was sitting on end, leaning against the Radiator. So everything went well today, though don't think that we've solved the problem yet.

Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

JC
  20. redrag

redrag Active Member

coolant doesnt wear out. it's forever.