1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Third generation (1975–1991) Ford Econoline van undercarriage(chassis) color?

Discussion in 'Ford E-Series' started by crowe-t, Feb 3, 2018.

1. crowe-t

crowe-t New Member

Does anyone know what color the undercarriage/chassis of the third generation (1975–1991) Ford Econoline was from the factory?

Were the floors a primer color or body color?

I believe the chassis rails were semi-gloss black?
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Welcome to the FFO!

The construction was body on frame unlike the previous generation. The body was painted body color. The entire body was primered. Then a color coat was applied. On exposed panels the color coat was better applied than panels that were not exposed because they were covered by carpet, interior panels or on the bottom. The floor and wheel wells are body color however the body color may flake off leaving primer.

The frame and all suspension parts are uncoated and bare metal. (Except shocks and some coil springs.) This also includes the transmission, driveline and rear axle.

All of the above is true for 1988 to 1991. I believe it is true for the earlier years of this generation.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. crowe-t

crowe-t New Member

Thanks for the welcome and the reply!

I would suspect that all the 3rd generation Econolines were basically made the same way.

Did the bottom(undercarriage) have over spray of the body color or was it completely covered?
  4. Action

I think I have some pictures of my 1990.

>>>>>>>>Action
  5. Action

LR Spring III.jpg RF spring.jpg LR Spring Too.jpg Left frame rail.jpg LF Spring.jpg
  6. Action

The above pictures are of the underside of a 1990 E 150. This vehicle was delivered to Minnesota and I purchased it in Phoenix in 1997. Used only locally for the next 20 years mostly for towing. The body is for the most part not rusted and the underside is body color. (White) I believe there is a primer coat under the color coat. The quality of the paint on the underside is not the same as the top side. However pretty much color coat is the only thing that shows.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  7. crowe-t

crowe-t New Member

Hey thanks for posting these pictures!

Thats bizarre that the frame and all suspension parts are uncoated and bare metal.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  8. Action

All the springs (Except the LF) have been replaced in the above pictures. Those are painted.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
  9. crowe-t

crowe-t New Member

Does your 1990 have a finished or unfinished interior? I'm looking for some pictures of an unfinished interior?
  10. Action

It was a van conversion. Started life as a panel van. The van conversion company (Waldoch http://waldoch.com/) put in windows, seats, carpets, rear air, rear AM/FM cassette, panels and ceiling liners.

At one point I did have part of the carpet pulled back.

I do not have unfinished interior pictures.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
  11. crowe-t

crowe-t New Member

Does the body color paint on the underside look like it could be an overspray or does it look more solid? It's hard to tell in the pictures since it's not clean.
  12. Action

It is a full coat. Not as a quality coat and not as thick. It is thin in places and there is a primer coat as well. However it is not just over spray from the edges.

>>>>>>>>>Action