1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

turn signal makes hissing/static sound/doesn't make lights blink

Discussion in 'Electrical | Starting, Charging, Batteries & Lamps' started by indyyy, Nov 12, 2017 at 6:28 PM.

1. indyyy

indyyy New Member

Hi - I haven't been able to find any info on this through google searches. This is a 1998 Windstar with only 99,000 miles on it. When i move my turn signal lever up or down to signal a turn i get a hissing / static sound and the signal lights don't blink to signal the turn. At first I thought it was interference with the radio, but if I turn the radio volume all the way down I still get the sound. It started first for right turns, then after a few months when signaling both left and right turns.

The other part to this, if i move the turn signal up or down only about half way and manually hold it there, the turn signal lights work. It is only when I move the lever all the way up or down until it clicks into place and stays there until the turn is complete (as is done when it's working properly) that I get the hissing sound and no activation of the turn signal lights.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks !
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017 at 6:36 PM
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Turn signal switch.

The turn signal switch is not making a complete electrical connection to make the signal blink. In the lane changing mode it is.

Given the age and use, replace the switch. It will only get worse.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. indyyy

indyyy New Member

Thanks Action! I'm going to try to get to it towards the end of the month - taking a little trip the week after thanksgiving. My van has the little lever that adjusts the steering wheel up or down and it's located just below the turn signal/ wiper control arm that you say i need to replace . I think I need to remove that steering wheel adjust lever in order to pull down/off the lower plastic housing that surrounds the control arm... does this sound right ? And is that lever held in by a screw or bolt that I can get to by moving the lever forward or back ( A guy has a video on that on youtube, but his is a 2003 and mine a 1998). Appreciate if you or anyone else has this info and can share it.
  4. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

The van has tilt wheel, that is what the little lever is for.

As far as turn signal switch, (Or multi-function switch) the turn signal lever is attached to the switch. Not designed for the turn signal lever to be removed from the switch. And usually removing plastic covers is the only thing needed to remove the switch. Not any other levers.

If you are going to do your own repairs I highly recommend.....
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Ford-...ash=item5b2ed5e483:g:dBIAAOSw44BYMIwT&vxp=mtr
    For under $20! best money spent.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action