1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Wagon tailgate window crank

Discussion in 'Ford Galaxie' started by 66Fairlanewagon, Oct 5, 2016.

1. 66Fairlanewagon

66Fairlanewagon New Member

Evening all,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me it part numbers are interchangeable between 66 Fairlane and 65 Galaxies?

I'm looking at a new tailgate window crank for my wagon, I've seen one that lists the part as fitting 65 full size, the other 66-71 Torinos.

Visually they both look like the one I have already, but I was wondering if anyone could check whether these two parts are the same C5AZ- 7144009A and C60Z 714409B. My understanding is that these two numbers are for the base part.

Any help much appreciated.
    Cheers
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Based on what you have posted, two different part numbers, the parts are different. Without having the parts side by side it would be extremely difficult to say if they could be used. However they ARE different otherwise Ford would not have given different part numbers.

So the question you might ask is could these different parts be usable on other applications. Th answer is maybe. IN my opinion never having seen them my answer would be no. Body parts are rarely useable from full size to smaller cars.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. 70XL

70XL Active Member

I don't really understand how this Interchange Manual works, so I don't know if this will help. Take a look.

Attached Files:

4. Action

What is the year and model of your vehicle?

And confirm you have a manual rear window in the tail gate of your wagon. (Not electrically operated)

>>>>>>>>Action
  5. Action

Nice interchange and wrong page.

A lesson on Ford Part Numbers. In a Ford part number there are 3 sections. Prefix, suffix and base. The base number starts with the chassis and builds a car - wheels first (1100) with increasing numbers to accessories last like Air Conditioning (19000). Then the body section is next which starts at the cowl (00000) and moves to the rear of the vehicle. (Note everything has an exception)

Body Base part numbers also have 2 digits in front to designate the body style. So the body part number you gave above C5AZ- 7144009 A, 44009 is the base part number with the 71 in front. The 71 means wagon I believe. Many times the left is an odd number and the right side is an even number if this applies.

Prefix shows roughly year and model. First digit being decade, second being year in decade and 3rd being model. C5AZ is a '65 full sized Ford.
    First digit
    B = 1950s
    C = 1960s
    D = 1970s
    E = 1980s
    Second digit - Lincoln and Mercury have their own lettering for their modes.
    A = full sized Ford
    B = mid-sized Ford
    S = Thunderbird
    X = Compact
    And there are other that I don't remember at the moment as I don't have my cheat sheet.

Suffix shows the revision to a part. (Some times this is right or left or front and back) A is usually what the part started out. B would be the revision.

Getting back to your number. You are looking for the interchange page for part number 44009. (and there may not be one) What you posted was for mostly 40110 and 40709.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  6. 66Fairlanewagon

Thanks Action, it's a 66 Fairlane wagon. Disguised in my forum handle! Haha. Manual operation.

I knew a bit about the part numbers etc c6 is 66, you're right, O (3rd digit) means Fairlane/Torino, 4th refers to production department (ie E- engine (can't recall others off top of my head, but C6OE is part that is designed as an engine part for a 66 Fairlane. There are examples in my car of C5Ox part numbers, eluding
    to the fact that ford used these in later models.

My car is a model 71B, so I reckon you're right about that. But that still leaves 44009 as being the same part possibly?

I agree with what you're saying about full size body parts being used on smaller cars, but as you say, there are exceptions. Perhaps this is one?

It wouldnt take a great leap of design for the Galaxie tailgate panel to have the angle as the Fairlane where the crank attached I guess.

Sorry, you lost me on parts 40110 and 40709. Not sure what these are?

Thanks for your reply mate, great knowledge.

Cheers
  7. Action

Just a bit more - the number stamped on any part is NOT the part number listed in the Master Parts Cat. It is close. That number is an engineering number.

The attachment of the interchange book is for base part numbers of 40110 and 40709. You are looking for interchange of base part number 44009.
    44009 is a window crank handle I would assume.
    Not sure what 40709 and 40110 are. Likely parts in the tail gate, just not what you are looking for.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  8. 70XL

70XL Active Member

Yeah, so that page would seem to be just for the tailgates, the whole assembly, not the parts in the tailgate. When I look at No. 33, I see that '66 - '67 Fairlane SW tailgate interchanges with '66 - '67 Comet and Falcon wagons with dual action tailgates, if my interpretation is correct.

There must a be whole other level of Interchange Manual that gets into the individual parts cross reference. I guess a guy could look at each model in the service manual and manually cross reference part numbers.
  9. Action

I am not sure how that interchange manual actually works. I am assuming it compares base part numbers. And if the base part number is NOT listed then there is no interchange.

In the first post, the part # C6OZ-714409-B is likely what is desired for the application. The part number C5AZ-7144009-A is likely what has been found.

In both of those the base part number is -44009- or 7144009 for wagons. My guess is there are not interchangeable. However I do not know that for a fact.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  10. 66Fairlanewagon

HI all,

I have been tied up with other 'old car' problems, and this handle situation has dropped down the priority list. I have started looking again, and in discussion and seraching, I reckon I can be pretty confident in saying the handle and the base that attaches to the tailgate is the same for 66-69 intermediate (so Fairlane and Torinos) as well as same year full size. They have different part numbers, but are the same.

I've learnt that the Fairlane/Torino wagon revision from 66/67 to 68/69 only changed from the A pillar forward, everything rear of that is the same. I've also looked at some pics of 71 Torino, and the rear tailgate area all look the same too.

The handle by itself is 7144008 as below,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-NOS-ST...b0cf6b3&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=401314875813

the handle and the base that attaches to the sheet metal is 7144009 as below
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/142136738927?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

In this instance, all the 7144008 handles are common across 65-71 wagons, intermediate and full size. So C5AZ - 7144008 is the handle designed for 65 full size Ford, C6OZ- 7144008 is the handle designed for the 66 Fairlane/Torino.

I've yet to see the 7144009 part in person, so can't yet confirm the base will match the sheet metal, but I'm pretty sure it does.

Cheers
  11. Action

From the 1965 to 1972 Ford Master parts cat

Full sized Ford is a "A" body
    Fairlane is a "B" body
    Falcon is "X" body

44008 is a back window regulator handle and knob
    44009 is a back window regulator handle

By application -
    C5AZ 7144008 A is for 65-68 A, 66-71 B and 66-70 X
    C1AZ 5944009 H is for 65 B (with a note for manual regulator with constant mesh)
    C6OZ 7144009 C is for 66-71 B and 66-70 X with dual action tail gate

There is no listing for a C6OZ 7144009 B. Usually what that means is the C replaced the B. And I have a later catalog?? Sometimes there actual differences. Other times it is just a vendor change.

Not knowing what you have the variables are:
    Power or manual operated back window
    dual action or single action tailgate
    For a 1966 Fairlane wagon (parts body code 71)

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  12. 66Fairlanewagon

Thanks Action,

I don't know about the A-B-X from the master catalouge, and the specific parts numbers but I believe you. All I have been working off is the (as you correctly called them, I think) the engineering numbers C=60's 6=66 O = Fairlane etc. It seems that whilst the engineering numbers are assigned to be used on a particular car, they can and do fit other cars. I've got some 289 fender badges that are stamped with both C5AB 16237-A and C5OB 16237-A, which is 65 full size and 65 fairlane.

I was barking up the wrong tree when I said part numbers at the start, I meant engineering numbers. It's just all the net searching have called them part numbers.

I found this page, which explained it quite well.
    http://www.fordification.com/tech/partnumbers_overview.htm

As for the last bit, it's a 66 Fairlane 500, manual back window and dual tailgate. They all had dual tailgates as standard.

Cheers
    Action likes this.
  13. Action

The part you have now is broken???

>>>>>>>>Action
  14. 66Fairlanewagon

Thanks Action,
    No not broken, just terribly pitted. I am searching to find out if it would be cheaper to replace rather than get rechromed. IMG_2295.JPG
  15. Action

What would it cost to rechrome?

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  16. 66Fairlanewagon

Not sure, I just know that everyone talks about rechroming as being eye wateringly expensive. I am going to try and find some to quote, hopefully this weekend.

Cheers
  17. Action

Not sure where you live (it not in your profile and it is EZ to update) in Phoenix there are a number of places to go. Almost all will give a free estimate and many will do it over the phone. With your pic it may be EZ to get an estimate as well.

With that said it has been a very long time since I got anything re-chromed. And not in this state. (It was in Michigan) The process wasn't super expensive and may be less than the e-bay auction. Quality is always a factor so check out the vedor before making a commitment.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  18. 66Fairlanewagon

Hi Action,

Thanks mate. I live in Australia.

I've looked at a couple of online places, I reckon I'll email them the pic (I've got a few more with measuring tapes in the frame for their reference), hopefully they will give me an idea of what I'm up for.

My wagon won't be a show car, so as long as the quality is good, I'm more worried about not having to get it done again. Pretty much anything will be better than the current.

I've just seen in your footer, a convertible LTD, with a 429 huh?. Nice!! I've got a love affair with a 66 LTD hardtop ever since I saw one in the 66 Ford Buyers Digest I bought a while ago. Would love to own one one day.

Cheers

IMG_2917.JPG IMG_2919.JPG
    Action likes this.
  19. Action

I bought a '66 Galaxie 500 as a parts car. Took what I needed and sold the rest. Not much if anything is left of that ride. And parts of it are spread over the entire globe!

They are not a high dollar car here. And as with many rides of that era look better as a coupe. Especially the fast back like the pic.

As for as your wagon not being a show ride, I don't have any show cars either. At the moment only the Mark III is running on the road. The LTD engine starts however I have some suspension work to do and the transmission needs to be serviced.

Since you are outside the US it is difficult to give you a recommendation on chrome shops. I guess I will have to leave that service for you to pursue.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  20. 66Fairlanewagon

IMG_2347 (2).JPG
    Action likes this.