1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

What car of today best replaces the Crown-Vic?

Discussion in 'Ford Crown Victoria' started by b3burner, Jul 31, 2017.

1. b3burner

b3burner Member

Now that the sun has set on the Crown-Vic (actually it did back in 2012 or '13, did it not?); I'm curious what in people's opinion is the next best new model that comes closest to "replacing" or "feeling like" a Crown Vic?

Yes, I know that nothing made by Ford today really replaces the RWD long wheel base, low feel of that car, but I'm curious what you think comes closest?

My first thought would have been either the Ford Fusion or the Ford Taurus... given they are 4 door sedans, sit fairly low (compared to trucks or SUV's) and though not anywhere near as long as their ancient ancestors, are about as long as any Ford car is going to get today. However, they are FWD and that will change the traditional feel (as compared to that of the CV) somewhat.

However, a friend of mine countered my argument by saying I can't consider a current replacement of the Vic, until I also bring the Ford Explorer and Expedition into the equation. He said that today's SUV's handle a lot better (despite their higher center of gravity) than the Ford Bronco II's and Explorers of yesteryear, so I have to give those a fair shot in the argument as well.

My counter argument to that was the geometry is off, being taller and (in most cases) shorter than a Crown-Vic was, so if I'm going for looks just as much as handling, might that be off base just a bit? Also, aren't Explorers and Expeditions *also* FWD? That again would not make their handling akin to the Crown.

Finally, he also added, if I want to bust the discussion wide open and consider the last of the RWD vehicles that best replicate the old Crown Vic feel, I would have to consider the Ford F-150 to -650 line; in order to legitimately consider all possibilities. So there we go, the debate continues.

What do you think?

Thank you,

-- John
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

The buying public has moved away from RWD full sized cars and towards FWD smaller cars. In the car line Taurus is the largest car. Cars are more used as a daily driver with a single person use. Smaller is more desired.

Considering the first Bronco in 1966 SUVs have come a long way. Most buyers that would have gotten a station wagon or full sized car are buying a SUV. Explores and Expedition come in FWD with 4X4 as an option. My self I have a Navigator for a daily driver.

Pick up truck while RWD are very popular they are not in the same body style as a car.

To make comparisons one has to define what is used for comparison. Body style, use, drivetrain? Or some other feature.

>>>>>>>Action
  3. b3burner

b3burner Member

Thanks for the input. I was surprised the Taurus actually eeks out the Fusion by a hair in terms of length and width. I would have thought it to be the other way around. So I learned something this morning.

Given that I define a car's length and width (with low height) as the feature that makes it most attractive, (just so long as the width is not too great a percentage of its length-- thereby risking it looking like a square on wheels); it would appear that the Taurus would probably be the winner in my ultimate criteria. RWD not withstanding, I actually feel that geometry and dimensions is more important, than whether the car is being pulled from in front or pushed from behind... so that pretty much eliminates trucks from my overall criteria of it looking most like the 4 door sedans of yesteryear that I remember and love.

-- John