1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

What was the "start year" of the Crown Victoria 2-door cars?

Discussion in 'Ford Crown Victoria' started by b3burner, Mar 9, 2018.

1. b3burner

b3burner Member

Hello,

I've seen that 1987 was the last year, but what was the first year? All in all, I'm reckoning that those things were hecka' rare. I don't think I've ever even seen one live and in person-- just on Google Image searches.

Thanks,

-- John
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

That is a long winded answer.

The name Crown Victoria was first used in 1955 for the 1955 & 1956 Ford Fairlane that had a big "B" pillar and a stainless steel band from one B pillar over the roof to the other side B pillar. It was a step up from Fairlane Victoria. ALL of those cars were two door coupes.

The next use was from 1980 to 1991. With the LTD Crown Victoria replacing LTD Landau as the top of the line LTD. This version could be had as a 2 door or a four door. Two door body style wasn't the biggest seller for a full sized car. The coupe was dropped after 1986

The last use was from 1992 to 2011. The LTD moniker was dropped and the full sized model line was called Crown Victoria. Only 4 door sedan and 4 door wagons were available.

Coupes in general have declined in sales except certain models. (Mustang being the biggest example) There are no more personal luxury vehicles. (A high end coupe) The buying public has made a decisive purchasing decision to the 4 door vehicle in almost every body style and every car line size. Even the (non-Ford) Jeep now comes in a 4 door version.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. Action

As for the two door coupe LTD Crown Victoria, I had use of at least three (may be more) in the early 1980s as a company car. At the time I was driving about 1000 miles a week and the big Coupe was a favorite of mine. The ride was always smooth and quiet. I left the company in early 1986.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  4. b3burner

b3burner Member

Action,

Thanks for your detailed answers. I didn't know that the name "Crown Victoria came back in 1980 to replace the LTD-Landau. I always thought it came back in 1983, when Ford split the LTD line, and made the (non-hyphenated name) "LTD" a Fox Body platform, midsize car from 1983-1986. I was aware that (hyphenated) "LTD-Crown Victoria" 's were the large cars from 1983-1991, and in 1992, they dropped the LTD name altogether and just called them "Crown Victorias" to 2011. But the 1980 start of the name was not known to me until just now. Thank you.

I'm surprised that the LTD-Crown Victoria coupes fell out of favor and were not very popular. Then why is it that big 60's and early 70's Galaxies/LTD, coupes, always command more money & popularity than their 4-door counterparts?

Odd that people today don't see the attraction to the coupe the way the baby boomer generation did. I guess today's little ones don't want to have to climb over the tilted front seats to get in the back-- like my sister and I did when we were kids. Oh well... I guess things change.
  5. Action

The US buying trends have gone from full sized cars to something less than full size. And from coupes to sedans. In a passenger car line, full size doesn't really exist any more. Full size SUV yes. (It is what I drive)

And as cars have down sized, the other two door almost became a necessity for families.

The two door coupe is a rare car. I miss that body style. And I miss the two door luxury coupe. In the FLM line up ....... Gone is the Thunderbird. (2005 was last year) Gone is Lincoln Mark series. (Last year was 2008) Gone is Mercury Cougar. (Last year was 2002)
    Again beside Mustang, Ford and Lincoln do not offer a two door car in the US vehicle mix. Mainly because, buyers don't buy two door cars in quantity any more

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  6. b3burner

b3burner Member

Hmm... okay. Makes sense, but what a shame. I always thought that there should be all types and shapes of cars available for everyone-- like genres of online music. But I guess government regulations and other factors have a lot to do with any limitations on varieties that have since been imposed.
  7. Action

Government regulation has nothing to do with body style availability or the number of doors on a vehicle. It is personal preference. New car buyers predominantly want 4 door cars. This has been a trend for the last 20 to 30 years. That trend has gone from cars to trucks now. A four door pick up truck is almost the standard for trucks. Forty or fifty years ago a four door pick up truck was almost a one of a kind.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  8. pkevins

pkevins Active Member Respected Member

Online content from Ford Muscle posted last week:
    Blue Oval Icons: The Crown Victoria

Kevin
    Action and Dominick 1 like this.