Ford Automobiles banner

Windshield Wiper Shaft

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  dharry423 
#1 ·
I have another pressing Canundrum. My passenger side windshield wiper shaft didnt' have a retaining nut or wiper arm when I bought it. A zip tie held it in place. I bought the nut, but it won't slip over the splined end the wiper arm attaches to. I looked under the dash and the brackets are riveted and the back side of the wiper shaft looks to be welded or something. Does the spline pull or screw off to get the rataining nut on? Thanks...

Jim
Harriman, TN.

#3 ·
I think I know what you're talking about. But is there any way you can take a pic & post it??? I've never heard of any welding done to a windshield wiper part...
I can take some next week. The car is 35 miles away at a friends garage until I get it driveable. It's almost there. Windshield Wipers and door seals then she comes home (hopefully).

Jim
Harriman, TN.

#4 · (Edited)
I have another pressing Canundrum. My passenger side windshield wiper shaft didnt' have a retaining nut or wiper arm when I bought it. A zip tie held it in place. I bought the nut, but it won't slip over the splined end the wiper arm attaches to. I looked under the dash and the brackets are riveted and the back side of the wiper shaft looks to be welded or something. Does the spline pull or screw off to get the rataining nut on? Thanks...

Jim
Harriman, TN.
What kind of auto is this.
I got confused:(

#6 ·
You will probably have to buy a right side pivot shaft assy.
Ford basic # 17566 It should come with the shaft that comes up through the cowl panel
and have the linkage on it that goes over to the wiper motor.
It then is attached to the motor by Ford Basic #17531.
The spline did pull off some of the earlier ones but I don't think so in your case.

#7 ·
You will probably have to buy a right side pivot shaft assy.
Ford basic # 17566 It should come with the shaft that comes up through the cowl panel
and have the linkage on it that goes over to the wiper motor.
It then is attached to the motor by Ford Basic #17531.
The spline did pull off some of the earlier ones but I don't think so in your case.
Aside from the chrome nut not being able to go over the spline on the shaft, it works. I just can't see how to get the chrome nut over the spline to thread onto the shaft and the bezel. Thanks for your advice though.

Jim

#9 ·
Aside from the chrome nut not being able to go over the spline on the shaft, it works. I just can't see how to get the chrome nut over the spline to thread onto the shaft and the bezel. Thanks for your advice though.

Jim

OK, After all is done, I found out somone ( I suppose didn't go to the trouble to find the proper wiper arm) changed the spline on the wiper pivot to a larger one for a different wiper arm. I found a good spline of the correct size and removed it from a parts car and ground off the weld and removed the large spline. I spot welded the replacement on the original shaft and now all is well in wiperland!!!

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.