Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Team,

I have a 2004 Ford Escape V6.

I was driving and could only make 60mph pedal to the metal as if the transmission was not downshifting.

The car is not accelerating correctly and feels almost like it’s bogged down and not getting correct power as if starting in a higher gear. It is also very slow in reverse and cannot each the top of my driveway... Is there a Limp Mode in this car? Haha

I opened the hood and the throttle cable was not taught at all. This could make some sense so I put zip ties by the pedal to try to fix it to no avail.

It also seems I have lost braking power as well.

This is a good condition vehicle with under 100,000 miles and has been serviced regularly.

Im at my wits end trying to diagnose this and any help is much appreciated.

I look forward to talking to y’all and becoming acquainted with the forum.

Thanks again,

Ed

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts
Welcome to FFO!
That vehicle (an nearly any vehicle built after the early 1990s) does have a limp mode.

If it is in limp mode the check engine light will be on. Pull codes and post.
Codes can be pulled at a fast moving parts store like AutoZone for free if you do not have a code reader.

When were the spark plugs replaced?

Action

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to FFO!
That vehicle (an nearly any vehicle built after the early 1990s) does have a limp mode.

If it is in limp mode the check engine light will be on. Pull codes and post.
Codes can be pulled at a fast moving parts store like AutoZone for free if you do not have a code reader.

When were the spark plugs replaced?

Action
Thank you for your reply!

All plugs and the like are new.

There is no check engine or other lights on the dash.

I have a VAG-COM. Would it even pull codes if no lights were triggered?

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts
Limp mode is a pre-arranged engine strategy to prevent damage because some other major malfunction has occurred. Loss of coolant, loss of oil or some other issue. And turns on the check engine light

If the reader has the correct protocol it can retrieve active and historical fault codes.
The only reason there would be no code(s) or check engine light on would be because there are no codes or the light is not functioning.

If there are no codes, the issue is not an electronic engine concern. And/or does not impact some of the engine metrics. Most of the things like that are maintenance items.
Filters - air or fuel
Spark Plugs
Oil levels for engine or transmission
O2 sensor

Or non engine related like - Brakes are stuck on, tires low or some other thing

Action

1 - 4 of 4 Posts