Ford Automobiles banner

03 Escape Front End

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  seand43 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys
My Escape has 118,000km on it. I have done the tie rods, struts, mounting plates, A arm bushings and stabilizer link 50 times and now I think the ball joints are gone. Have you guys heard or had experience with drilling out the ball joints and tie rod end and putting in grease fittings? If so, did it help?

#3 ·
It's not a good idea to drill into the housings.Metal particles will get inside no matter how careful you are.What I do is inject grease into the joint thru the boot area with a needle grease fitting.It connects to your grease gun like a grease fitting.Just pierce the boot and place the tip at the base of the joint and put in a few pumps until the grease comes out like normal.The needle tip is available at most hardware stores or automotive part stores.

#4 ·
I seem to hang on to my vehicles forever. I'm not sure how long I will have this one but if I'm replacing the ball joints/lower A arm. I want to get a little longevity out of them. I was reading an article in Popular Mechanics that was talking about the issue. They seemed to think it was a good idea to install a fitting but the needle grease fitting sounds like a good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.