Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 Explorer XLT AWD V8 with 5R55S
I’ll try to make a long story short but I’ve rebuilt the engine in this truck top to bottom, installed a new remanufactured transmission back in January, rebuilt the rear differential amongst other things. All in all the truck has ran like a gem, drove it back and forth from Indiana to Texas 3 times and never had an issue until a couple weeks ago I was on the interstate going about 70 when I felt a clunk, the O/D off light starts flashing, CEL and wrench light comes on and I have to limp it home. Pull the codes and I get P0715 for the input speed sensor which I never replaced along with the new trans I just reused the old sensors from my original trans anyways I order all 3 new speed sensors and upon pulling out the input sensor the end of it has been completely sheared off somehow. It didn’t break when I was removing it, it broke inside the transmission while I was driving still have no clue how it happened I’ll post a picture of the sensor though. I replaced the sensors, cleared the codes, took it for a drive and the CEL remained off but the O/D off light started flashing again and the truck was having trouble shifting properly. My question is how could that sensor have broken like that, and what damage could it possibly have caused to my new $2K transmission?

·
Super Moderator
13,251 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

I have never seen that!
There is still part of the old sensor inside?
If so it has to come out before the new one can be fully connected

Action

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I actually stuck my pinky finger inside where the sensor goes and I can’t feel anything lodged in there and the new sensor went in perfectly so that’s led me to believe the end of the sensor got sent into the transmission where it was most likely ground up and melted from all the gears and such. I’m worried it may have caused severe damage to the internals of the transmission :/

·
Super Moderator
13,251 Posts
The gears are always meshed and enclosed in drums. Not likely that would have happened. May be Dominick can post an exploded view of the transmission

I would service the transmission and change the filter hopefully the old pieces are in the bottom of the pan.
Action

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
The Ford catalouge doesn't show an exploded view
Let my try to find one

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help you guys! She’s currently at the Ford dealership here in Austin, with work and all I don’t have time to tear into it myself so now I wait. $200 for a trans diagnostic eye roll but I’ll keep y’all posted on what they find!

·
Super Moderator
13,251 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts