Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone! I’m having some issues with my 09 V6 Ford Escape and I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or could help me diagnose the problem
!

all the lights on the dashboard would occasionally light up and I would lose my rpm and speed gauge but then it would suddenly return to normal while driving

summer it got much worse and I realized that the vehicle would not start while all the lights on the dashboard were on. It seems like the issue is temperature dependent as it would always start in the mornings, but it would fail to start in the middle of the day

the lights can occur with or without the engine running. And it's an all or nothing type of deal. All the lights turn on and I lose my rpm and speed and then all of them shut off and I gain them back. If the engine runs for awhile the lights turn on much more frequently. I can be driving along and, for seemingly no reason, the lights turn on and will randomly turn off
20210601_201700.jpg

No the engine does not crank. Nothing happens when I turn the key and the dashboard lights are on I thought it was my anti lock system but now I'm not sure if I play with the gears it will start but if I lock my doors it wont
VEHICLE DOES THIS WHILE DRIVING OR IT WONT SSTART!!! COULD THE ANTI-LOCK/THEFT BE A PROBLEM????
Please help me!!!!

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

The lights in the instrument cluster are on different circuits.
So when you say all lights, I would like some clarity.
There are lights that illuminate the cluster. Like the lights for the the tach, speedo, fuel & oil
Then there are warning lights.
Lastly there is the message center that in the picture stated TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR DEFAULT
On the far left there is a wrench light and in the center area a check engine light
So is it all of those light groups??

Other questions -
How many miles on the vehicle?
You state you loose all RPM and speed. Does that mean the engine stalls out and the vehicle comes to a stop?
Have codes been pulled? If yes post the codes. If not have the codes pulled and post them

I do not think you have an anti-theft problem. If you did the engine will not crank until you lock the car and then re-enter. (The sequence to de-activate) Once the anti-theft sequence has been met that system is no longer activated until the key is removed and the doors are locked.

I do suspect you have an electronic throttle body issue.

Action

·
Super Moderator
14,895 Posts
In the VID above posted by Dominick in post #3 is good to review from start to 1:55.
IF you have that issue you will know by the way the warning lights light up BEFORE starting the engine.
If not then that is not your issue.

The rest of the VID is good to review especially for fuse 5 & 29 which powers up the PCM. And later in that VID the guy shows the one connector removed and then re-connects with the throttle body check. Do that. If the throttle body does it's sweep (makes the sound) then the PCM is talking to the throttle body.

The last thing related would be to remove the PCM and see if the exterior is as corroaded as the one in the VID. This is a sign that water is getting on top of the PCM and that is never a good thing

Action

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i look at a couple things the starter lookS pretty run down(almost rusted) alternators is extremely filthy with corrosion. And rust around the negitive post and ground wire wiped down a couple sensors AND NOW THE CAR STARTS AND MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS OFF
THE FFO COMMUNITY DEFINITELY HELPED

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Try cleaning the battery ground at the body and see if that helps. A poor ground will make all the electronics randomly not work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts