Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have 10 days off so It is time to replace my bad axle and seal in my 86 crown vic. Two years ago I had a bearing wear out and my mechanic put an offset bearing kit in it to keep me from having to buy an axle shaft. Now here I am taking it out again, guess that is what you get when you try to save money. I have never done this before so I am posting pix of my progress this morning so yall can laugh at me and hollar if you see me make any mistakes that will cost me more money later. Enjoy.......

IMG_1427.jpg
Brake shoes soaked in grease.

IMG_1429.jpg
Pretty good looking ring gear to me for a 25 year old car.

IMG_1432.jpg
crappy axle out
IMG_1433.jpg
Garter spring from the inside seal just laying in there!
IMG_1434.jpg
Outside seal distorted, no wonder it leaked!
IMG_1435.jpg
New axle from a company in New Jersey, big shout out to Poppy's home state!!

So far the only hard thing was getting a greasy slick shaft out of the carrier, kind of like trying to catch a greased pig. Now I am going to take the other axle out while I have it apart because it is making a noise and see if I need to order another one today, then it off to town to buy bearings and seals and to see if I can find a loaner tool to pull this old bearing out. If I don't have to have another axle hopefully I will be "in the wind" by this afternoon....

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well, Here's the axle from the other side, looks like I may be calling New Jersey again what do you think.

IMG_1436.jpg

Also there is a small black o-ring where the c-clip seats on the axle shaft. of course my new axle doesn't have one, what are the chances of me carefully getting these off without breaking them and If I have to find new ones what do I ask for?

IMG_1437.jpg

Thanks for any advice:smile5:

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
Just about any o ring will work, I've put them together w/o the o ring w/o problems. I think they just stop rattles in the axle....IDK?

If you don't find a slide hammer to remove the axle bearing you can remove the carrier and pound them out from the opposite side with a long bar. Just be sure to keep track the carrier shims....put them back where you find them.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Both axles look like they were run low on oil or it was overloaded?? Not good!

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I would replace the other also
you got your moneys worth out of it.
That O ring I've sold a bunch of axles and the techs never did ask for one.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jim; I found a slide hammer at the THIRD store I went to. I was about to panic because I did not want to take the carrier out. I also made sure the new axle fit right. Now I am going to order another one this afternoon. BTW It was run low on oil one time AND overloaded.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well, after you get a good work out with the slide hammer you might just remove the carrier lol.

·
Registered
798 Posts
On that type axle your should just be able to remove the C clip on the axle and pull it out through the bearing.
I was referring to the axle shaft bearing..... :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update; After driving to town to the local parts store and borrowing a slide hammer I discovered that the only end missing in the entire kit was the one I needed. The moral of that story is that when you rent a tool make sure the parts you need are actually in it before you leave the store... Went to another store and rented the right tool with all parts, came home and spent about 10 minutes mastering the subtle art of using a slide hammer. LOL
Now I have another question.

IMG_1438.jpg
These are the bearings I pulled out evidently they were both offset bearing kits because they are identical. The inside shaft seal is integrated into the bearing and they had a seperate outside seal that was thinner.

IMG_1439.jpg
This is what the parts store sold me. Did they sell me the wrong thing or is this what came in the car originally? How does it go together? Seal -bearing -another seal? I was hoping to look at the other side to see how this thing went back together but since it had the same thing in both sides now I am not sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yep, those are the correct bearings. Quite a bit different from the offset bearing kits huh?

This is OEM:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yep, those are the correct bearings. Quite a bit different from the offset bearing kits huh?

This is OEM:

Thanks Jim, Yes there is quite a bit of difference and that threw me a little. I am still wondering does it take a seal on both sides of the bearing, one facing in and one facing out or just one on the outside?

New axle for the other side ordered today, so I'm off to build a new front deck until it comes in. I traded in my mechanic hat for a carpenter hat until Wednesday. LOL

·
Registered
798 Posts
Only one seal....... after the bearing is in place.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Building a deck? I hope you have one of these.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Jim I was confused because the offset kit had one on the inside too.

No Poppy I don't have a nail gun but I do have one of these.

bicep.jpg

Come to think of it this looks just like mine LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
New axle for the other side ordered today, so I'm off to build a new front deck until it comes in. I traded in my mechanic hat for a carpenter hat until Wednesday. LOL
Too bad you're not closer to Michigan, I have a couple good used ones...oh well, you needed to build a deck anyway :devil: :ciappa:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hey everyone;I hope you all had a great 4th Holiday. My deck is finished and I'm glad what you think?
IMG_1477.jpg
so I replaced my carpenter hat for a mechanic hat and once again started on my car
Took my new wheel bearings to a local mech friend and he packed them for free! can't beat the price he even threw in a pair of latex gloves to put them back in with, what a pal. I lucked up and found a perfect size cast coupling at the local hardware for $3 to drive them back in with.
IMG_1478.jpg
Finally I put in the one new axle I had and I have the diff cover all cleaned up and ready to go back on.
IMG_1479.jpg
All in all the process has been pretty easy so far (knock on wood) Hopefully UPS will be here at arount 2:00 with my other axle and I can get this thing buttoned up and be rollin again. Thanks Jim and Dominick for all the help..
BTW the o-rings came off with no problem so I put them back on the new axle.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Uh Question, do I put threadlocker on the pinion shaft lock bolt? It looked like it had something on it when I took it out.

·
Registered
890 Posts
there might be enough on it from before that you won't have to add any. just torque it down to spec, and you should be fine..
one question though, why didn't you just replace the whole assembly?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts