170 to 250 conversion | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

170 to 250 conversion

Discussion in 'Ford Falcon' started by brfalcon62, Jun 22, 2014.

1. brfalcon62

brfalcon62 New Member

Hello all! Haven't been on in quite some time because of work, but I've got a question concerning converting my 62 fordor with the original 170ci to a 250ci engine. Can you guys direct me on general conversion steps?
  2. KBH

KBH New Member

Hi there...
    Did you ever make that conversion? I'm trying to investigate the same for a 63 Falcon. It has a 170 and are looking into the possibilities of change it out for a 200 or 250.
  3. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Wow, the original post is 6 years old with no reply.

Pre-dates my joining

Action
  4. Action

The block for all 3 (170, 200 & 250) is essentially the same.
    The issue is the bell housing.
    The bell housing was changed in 1966 using a different bolt pattern
    And again in 1980 changing the starter position.

If you want to upgrade to a pre-1966 200 six, it will be very close to an EZ swap.

A donor engine after 1965, get the transmission and transmission mount if possible and you should have an EZ time of it.

Engines after 1974ish will need different electrical connection because electronic ignition was now part of the mix.

Action
    KBH likes this.
  5. KBH

KBH New Member

I tried to create a similar po
    So an early 250 with a C4 should fit well together and . Any idea about the physical aspect? I know that motor mounts are not available for 250's, so that part can be a little tricky unless using from a 200, which of course doesn't have the same strength. As it is same family of engines, I imagine this combo will fit in an early Falcon (62-63)?
  6. Action

The biggest issue with a specific year is the transmission to engine mating.

You get an engine and transmission that go together, the hard work is done. Most of the rest are details. And they can be frustrating too.
    Fuel lines
    Mounts for transmission & engine
    Linkage - but that may be the same. Unless you are changing from manual to auto
    Drive line

All 3 of those engines (170, 200 & 250) are essentially the same block or engine family. Different bores and strokes same exterior dimension. So based on exterior dimensions of the engine all 3 of those engines fit the engine compartment the same. No cutting of sheet metal to make it fit. Motor mounts will have changed over the years with different models.

The C-4 was not available for 1963. Not sure how that transmission will fit in there and my guess would be it will fit. The rear mounting may need to be fabbed. And the slip yoke drive line made to order.

>>>>>>>Action
    KBH likes this.
  7. KBH

KBH New Member

That's some good info to bring back to the garage.
    That was the initial research. Now the search for an Engine/Transmission combo begins.
    Thanks!!
  8. maxtor

maxtor Member

P1010478.JPG I don't see anything that would stop you from putting in almost any Ford engine in your 63 Falcon. Where there is a will there is a way. My 511ci FE fits with room to spare.
    P1010467.JPG
    KBH likes this.
  9. Action

In a different thread, the user posts the engine has to be the same of similar to what is in there now because of regulation. Not sure what country the vehicle is located. I suspect NOT the US. So the vehicle may have to conform to original build to retain a certain licensing/titling.

Just a guess

Action
  10. Action

Or money is a factor just not sure.

>>>>Action
  11. KBH

KBH New Member

Money and local legislation actually.
    Car is located in Denmark where you can't deviate too much without pay a hefty fee and it's being built by two students.
    I'm trying to help them out whenever I'm around.

Impressive job maxtor.
  12. POWERBAND

POWERBAND New Member

My '61 Comet uses a 250 smal block with a T5 tranny:

the 250 is @ 1' wider and @ 1-3/4" taller than the 200/170/144

The complete process and parts are described inthe infamous manual of small block six Fords - "The Ford Six Performance Handbook' by the Schjeldahl brothers (sp?)
    https://www.vintageinlines.com/product-page/the-ford-falcon-six-cylinder-performance-handbook

Fitting the 250 requires dealing with the slightly longer profile, needed the Firewall modified where valve cover/head hit - BFH forming.

Length issue required cooling fan to be pusher mounted in front of bigger alum radiator.

Width of 250 vs 200 was easily remedied by modding early motor mounts.

250 additional Height may entail intake and carb clearance issues - Tri-Power needed hole in hood - teardrop scoop

More seriously, the steering center link interferes with the 250 oil pan . Can be remedied by 'flipping' the center link - reaming Pittman and idler so center link is below not above idle/pittman.

... the electrical ignition and charging is of course updated on the 250.

The 250 is a great upgrade and gives a whole new life to the sleepy 144 / 170 early car.

ai.postimg.cc_XGVXkwKq_FIREWALL_3.jpg .
    ai.postimg.cc_xccqjCBK_COMET_SS_01300_Copy.jpg . ai.postimg.cc_5j9DCF4F_100_3755.jpg . ai.postimg.cc_JGvFv6bb_100_3763.jpg

. ai.postimg.cc_JtgKzyG8_100_3833.jpg . ai.postimg.cc_G4TWpwc7_100_3750.jpg . ai.postimg.cc_8fPG4VgW_100_3768.jpg

ai.postimg.cc_BPP8VVC8_COMET_PIC_FOUND_IN_CAR_1.jpg . ai.postimg.cc_gxbSbHrt_100_3839.jpg . ai.postimg.cc_wRH11wpZ_LEBANON_VALLEY_13.jpg

Hav'n 250cubes' of fun
    KBH and Dominick 1 like this.
  13. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

Nice Job
    Answers a lot of questions
  14. KBH

KBH New Member

Very great full for all the info provided. No matter how this build turns out, I've learned quite a few things.
    I better get that book :)