Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Can anyone identify this ±1940 Ford car ? (which model it is)

The picture dates back to 1949. The car was bought in Quebec, Canada by a family not having a lot of money.

So this has to be a cheap model from the 1940's that was available in the North American market. Other than that, no clue. Can anyone help ?

Thanks for your consideration

Ben

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
That would be a European Version
Ford Anglia 8 HP Model E04A
Also see: Ford UK Car Reviews | The History of Ford
The Ford Anglia 8 HP, Model E04A, was introduced in 1939 and continued after the war with minor changes, until 1948. It was a face-lifted improved development of the 1937-39 Eight Model 7Y. It had a 933-cc (56·6 x 92·5 mm) four-cylinder engine, 7 ft 6 in wheelbase and two-door bodywork. Its companion, the 10 HP Prefect Model E93A had 63·5-mm bore (1172 cc), 7 ft 10 in wheelbase and four-door bodywork.

·
Super Moderator
14,181 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

To support the above as far as US produced Ford models.

The above vehicle has a split windshield with integrated front fenders.
Ford had split windshields up to model year 1951.
And had integrated front fenders after model year 1948.

So the US built FORD model year window for split windshield design with integrated front fenders is 1949 to 1951

That model was the "Box Top" Fords from 1949 to 1951. Ford that model series:
Had a two piece bumper grille that extended around the front fender. The above pic does not
Had a bright trim from the rear of the car to the back of the front wheel opening. The above pic does not
Has a flatter wheel cover with the word FORD twice circled around a cone like center. The above pic does not
Does not have a rocker panel trim. The above pic does have this.

I don't think the above vehicle pictured is a US built Ford.

Action

1949_Ford_custom_300_pic3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,181 Posts
I don't think it was a Ford Anglia. I am not that familiar with outside of US Ford production. As near as I can tell the Anglia had a one piece flat windshield. The Anglia was built in the UK and had separate front fenders until 1953. The additional expense to import to Canada would not have made it a cheap car.

Ford of Canada started building cars in 1904 and followed the vehicle types of US Ford production well past WWII.

Looking for a cheap post war vehicle in Canada with split windshield, integral fenders and trim like that will be interesting.

Action

·
Super Moderator
14,181 Posts
40s era American Fords were Fat Fendered
Here is a '47 Ford Deluxe coupe
The Ford body style from 1941 to 1948 that came in 3 different lines
Split windshield
"Fat fenders" or non-integrated front fenders
A hint of a running board
In addition the vast majority if not all of these cars have bright trim molding running from the rear to the front of the hood.
With the exception of the split windshield none of those features are in the car in the the first post.

Action

1947-Ford-Coupe.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,181 Posts
There may be a name on the wheel cover.
And it appears there is a emblem or name just above the right fender trim towards the rear of the fender.

Action

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
We have or they have a 46 Ford Coupe over at the shop right now
Very Nice car
I had a 38-39-41-46 and 47

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a lot to all of you. You guys rock !
I do have new leads from the family that would suggest maybe another car brand. Looks like it's not a Ford after all...
So I'll keep on digging, maybe toward Dodge or Chrysler.
Thanks again for your time and passion,
Regards,
Ben :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts