Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am having issues with fuel delivery system. I am on my 3rd mechanical fuel pump with vacuum. Runs great for 30 - 45 minutes, then stalls out. It appears when the fuel pump gets warm it quits pumping the fuel to the carb. If I let it cool down for approx 45 - 60 minutes, it starts & runs great again for approx 30 minutes. Any ideas on what may be going on?

·
Super Moderator
15,072 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

As a guess ... check rubber lines from the tank to the pump. This is the vacuum side of the fuel system. It may be possible with an old hose there is a crack that lets in a little air. If any of those hoses are questionable I would replace just because of age.
There should be a hose that connects the tank to a metal fuel line.
And another hose connecting the metal fuel line to the pump.
Or something close to that

The diagnosis or testing for that would be a pressure test and a volume test. Answering the question of, does the pump deliver enough fuel and at what pressure.

Action

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm not familiar with the fuel system on the '55, but my '62 Falcon has a strainer screen on the fuel pickup in the gas tank. If the tank is older it may have rust inside that has slowly partially clogged the filter and is preventing continuous flow of gas. Also, have you checked the fuel filter going to the carb?

Also, are you able to drive the car, or does it just quit while idling? If you are in doubt about the ability of the pump to deliver fuel, you can get a large can, put gas into it and attach a flexible line to the pump and dip it into the can. If the engine continues to run then the fuel pump is good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts