Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently "gifted" a 1956 Victoria problem child my father in law tore apart 25 years ago, I am trying to get it back to driving order but cannot locate a brake booster/master cylinder. The original ones are covered in rat poop and corrosion so new it is. Also what would be an acceptable kit if I wanted to do a 4 wheel disc conversion. Any help is appreciated Thanks

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,568 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

The Tredle Vac brake booster was the period piece used. Just was not sure 1956 had a power brake option.
The master cylinder could be rebuilt easy enough as long as the cylinder does not have extreme pitting.

As far as doing a modification, I will leave that to others. And asking a question -
Has the power train been modified?

Action

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for reply, As far as I know the power train is stock M vin 292, thats part of the fun getting it running I guess, he was notorious for "tinkering" so I guess time will tell. I will try to get some photos posted to see if that may help with any ID or questions. Thanks again

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,568 Posts
If stock, sticking with stock brakes will be a lot less $ and maybe less hassle.

There are a few down sides to drum brakes. However most of those down sides are a non-issue if you are driving 5000 miles a year or less. And not towing trailers or stuff the inside with people all of the time. The drums worked well when it was new. They are just a pain when it comes to replacements and if the self adjusters are not working that is a pain as well.

There are at least 20 master cylinders for 56 Fairlane listed on Ebay. Starting around 50/60 bucks
The Treadle Vac will be a little more difficult. This type of booster is better rebuilt than finding one. Getting a new one will be very expensive. And it looks like that is not the booster.
1953-’67 Ford Power Brake Boosters | Hemmings

Disc brakes are nice, hassle free and very low on maintenance. But they shine when you are driving 10,000+ miles a year and doing any kind of high speed stopping.

If it were me, I stick with OE.

Car been sitting for a long time, you will be opening the wallet for a lot of other things. Get it to stock condition first.

Action

1 - 4 of 4 Posts