Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everyone!

So I saw this '57 Fairlane up for sale in Dubai (I'm based here too!). Current owner had bought the car in Canada 5 years ago and shipped it to Dubai and didn't use it for the next 3-4 years. He claims to have done a bit of mechanical restoration the past month or so to get it up and running. I've got some photos of the car and a video too (doesn't sound healthy).

Can you folks let me know if this is a good buy (It's put up for $15,500) as is or is there a lot of work needed to get this car running properly? I assume the engine isn't a Y block and rather a small block (289?). This would be my first step into classic cars as well so I'd completely rely on what you guys have to say.

What sort of things should I look out for when inspecting the car (any known/famous issues with them)? And finally how easy is it to get the parts sorted for them? I know I will have to import them and keep.
IMG_20210424_125830.jpg
IMG_20210424_125849.jpg
IMG_20210424_125902.jpg
IMG_20210424_130057.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-22 at 12.36.10.jpeg
IMG_20210424_130353.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-22 at 12.36.11.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-22 at 12.36.12.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-22 at 12.36.13.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-22 at 12.36.16.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
14,670 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Interesting vehicle.
The value of a vehicle is influenced in no small part by location.
In the US that offered price is likely close.

The vehicle looks good. If it runs good.
If it needs mechanical work that cost might be deducted from the asking price.

Now obtaining replacement parts at a distance will greatly increase the cost of repairs.
And yes the engine is a small block Ford.
If done well may not change the value much. A poor install and the work needed will be much.
What transmission? Hopefully not the two speed Ford O Matic

Action

Reactions: Abhishek Krishnan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the FFO!

Interesting vehicle.
The value of a vehicle is influenced in no small part by location.
In the US that offered price is likely close.

The vehicle looks good. If it runs good.
If it needs mechanical work that cost might be deducted from the asking price.

Now obtaining replacement parts at a distance will greatly increase the cost of repairs.
And yes the engine is a small block Ford.
If done well may not change the value much. A poor install and the work needed will be much.
What transmission? Hopefully not the two speed Ford O Matic

Action
Is the small block engine a deal breaker? Or should I keep it running with the small block itself?
It is the two speed ford o matic!!
The seller doesn't seem to have any documents from the past and that worries me that the car may not be mechanically fine.
Thanks for your help Action!

·
Super Moderator
14,670 Posts
Nothing is a deal breakers. Nothing.

However your question is more about value. The value of a thing is greater when there is a greater appeal.
I would suggest the vehicle has a greater appeal as an original vehicle.
With the modern engine, that appeal or value becomes a little fuzzy, assuming the installation was done to a high standard

In my opinion the car has some weak areas compared to the 70s and 80s. You might say that is unreasonable and you would be correct. The car and the company only had the resources of 70 years ago and what the market was willing to pay. As pointed out by Dominick, the power steering and in my opinion the auto transmission are further behind the design curve than the Y block. Yet it looks like the engine was replaced and not much else. Not knowing the thought process at the time the decision was made is a hurdle. Was that change made because of a lack of maintenance? The decsion make wanted an upgrade? Or what?

If I were considering I would want all original car. I would want to replace the engine with a matching engine at a later point, And I would factor that into my offer.

Then there is the white elephant, it is over there. That is the single biggest factor above anything ese for value.

Action

Reactions: Abhishek Krishnan

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
One thing about the small block Ford and your location, it will probably be easier to obtain parts for it than a Y block. Judging by the transmission and the air cleaner it's probably a early 60s engine. I would do the research and find out exactly what motor is in it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing about the small block Ford and your location, it will probably be easier to obtain parts for it than a Y block. Judging by the transmission and the air cleaner it's probably a early 60s engine. I would do the research and find out exactly what motor is in it.
I thought the same that maintaining the small block will indeed be easier here. Is there any marking/stamping on the engine block to know what engine it would be? Where would this marking be located on the engine?

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Some had Metal tags in the water pump area could have been lost by now
Stamping numbers on block cylinder heads
Like on the block c2oe 6015 is a sample

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'd rather it have the inline 6 cyl or one of the original Y-block engines myself. Adds to the value on these 1950's classics.

Be leary of RUST under this car. A definite deal breaker for me.

It IS odd there are no receipts.

My best advice, trust your gut. The car LOOKS nice on the surface, but.......

If you feel something is off, treat it as it is & walk away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 similar to this. Pictures are below. My grandmother factory order this and has been in the family since new. I am the third owner after my Dad and my grandparents. This has been maintained and has not been restored. A few things to note based on my owning this car. It is at an age that if a major part goes bad, you will have to remove the part and get it repaired/rebuilt. It used to be that I could buy a rebuilt part and send my part back. That is not the case anymore. Parts like pumps and other such mechanical parts are very difficult to find if at all. And it can get somewhat expensive. A few years ago, it cost me about $500 to get a power steering pump rebuilt that I needed done somewhat quickly like in several days. Otherwise it would have been 4 to 6 weeks to save a few hundred and I would probably have to leave it a garage which I didn't want to do. Also, I am not sure that the upholstery is original from your pictures. I don't have any pictures of mine except what you can see from the outside. I had to get part of the seat repaired and I got matching fabric from a company in Oregon As for worth, my agreed insurance if the car gets totaled is around $22,000 so the price is not too bad but the value is probably less with a different engine any maybe not the correct upholstery. Contact me if you want to ask questions on these cars. If everything is working, these cars really ride nice on the open highway. You can cruise at 60 to 65 mph in great comfort.

P9010018.JPG
P9010017.JPG
P9010015.JPG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd rather it have the inline 6 cyl or one of the original Y-block engines myself. Adds to the value on these 1950's classics.

Be leary of RUST under this car. A definite deal breaker for me.

It IS odd there are no receipts.

My best advice, trust your gut. The car LOOKS nice on the surface, but.......

If you feel something is off, treat it as it is & walk away.
This is what I did. The technical bit was very sketchy and with no repair invoices shown by seller even though he claimed to have imported all parts from the US.

Time to look for another Fairlane in a trustworthy condition!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 similar to this. Pictures are below. My grandmother factory order this and has been in the family since new. I am the third owner after my Dad and my grandparents. This has been maintained and has not been restored. A few things to note based on my owning this car. It is at an age that if a major part goes bad, you will have to remove the part and get it repaired/rebuilt. It used to be that I could buy a rebuilt part and send my part back. That is not the case anymore. Parts like pumps and other such mechanical parts are very difficult to find if at all. And it can get somewhat expensive. A few years ago, it cost me about $500 to get a power steering pump rebuilt that I needed done somewhat quickly like in several days. Otherwise it would have been 4 to 6 weeks to save a few hundred and I would probably have to leave it a garage which I didn't want to do. Also, I am not sure that the upholstery is original from your pictures. I don't have any pictures of mine except what you can see from the outside. I had to get part of the seat repaired and I got matching fabric from a company in Oregon As for worth, my agreed insurance if the car gets totaled is around $22,000 so the price is not too bad but the value is probably less with a different engine any maybe not the correct upholstery. Contact me if you want to ask questions on these cars. If everything is working, these cars really ride nice on the open highway. You can cruise at 60 to 65 mph in great comfort.

View attachment 48666 View attachment 48667 View attachment 48668

Looks like a real beauty Keith!
Let me know if the day comes when you decide to part ways with it.. 😄

1 - 13 of 13 Posts