Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I just bought a 58 Fairlane from a second owner, he drove and then parked and has been sitting outside for 40 years. Has the typical rust spots from what I have seen but had oil in it and it is nearly complete except for a small piece of trim on the rear passenger door and missing taillights. It even came with the original keys! 3 out of the 5 tires held air after inflating. I do have a question as it didn't have a battery, is it 6 volt or 12 volt from the factory? From what I have read I believe it should have come stock 12 volt but I am not certain. Can anyone shed some light? Thanks, Bob 0711201004e_Film1.jpg

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
first car i ever drove in a drag race at formosa drag strip near bakersfield looked just like it. 12v for sure

·
Super Moderator
12,893 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Ford changed to 12 volt negative ground in model year 1956.
Model year 1955 and earlier were 6 volt positive ground.

>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I will hook a battery up and see what works! Emptied about 40 pounds of grime, glass, rusty floor boards and deteriorated upholstery out of it and pulled the rear seat to get the trunk open as it wouldn't open with the key. Trunk lid is pretty badly rusted/holes from the underside. Floor boards are also bad (what's left of them) and will be replacing. Front passenger door is still stuck closed. Hopefully get that open soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have a question on what years are interchangeable with the 1958 Fairlane, would a 1959 Fairlane doors or trunk lid work? I have a line on some replacement parts off a 1959, I seem to have read the front fenders are a little different than 58's but not 100% sure. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Just looking at photos I would say no
Back in those days they changed sheet metal yearly

·
Registered
4 Posts
:)Cool, man! Reminds me of the days when we had 'good' cars on the road! Most of my friends had 56's (Ford's) on up. I was into 'Chevy's and never had any Fords. Just old 63 Merc's. And many different 'Chevy's'. Even though that is a 4-door, I rarely see them around here anymore. Drive that, and people will probably ask you what country you imported it from!:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts