Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night, my sweetie and I hopped into Mr Comet to go for a cruise and drive through food. The car starts perfectly, every time. runs amazing. BUT... we were several cars deep in the drive through line so it took a bit to get through it all. Again, the car idled fine... Until I pulled out into the road... She bucked, hesitated and generally protested getting going, it never died, and after a block, it came back to its normal self. it was about 80 degrees outside. The car has a later 200 and a 1904 holley carb (just so you have that info). Now here is part two, in the past, Ive noticed when I'm running errands on a warm day, I'll park the Comet, run in, come out and some times its harder to restart, it starts, but it takes a bit.
So.. my thinking its a fuel issue. The mechanical pump is new. Am I experiencing a form of vapor lock? Is the fuel in the carb bowl cooking while its sitting, hence, the harder restart? Would an electric fuel pump help me here?

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
So last night, my sweetie and I hopped into Mr Comet to go for a cruise and drive through food. The car starts perfectly, every time. runs amazing. BUT... we were several cars deep in the drive through line so it took a bit to get through it all. Again, the car idled fine... Until I pulled out into the road... She bucked, hesitated and generally protested getting going, it never died, and after a block, it came back to its normal self. it was about 80 degrees outside. The car has a later 200 and a 1904 holley carb (just so you have that info). Now here is part two, in the past, Ive noticed when I'm running errands on a warm day, I'll park the Comet, run in, come out and some times its harder to restart, it starts, but it takes a bit.
So.. my thinking its a fuel issue. The mechanical pump is new. Am I experiencing a form of vapor lock? Is the fuel in the carb bowl cooking while its sitting, hence, the harder restart? Would an electric fuel pump help me here?
Does it have a choke pull off?
If the engine is in good shape I see no reason for an electric pump

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it have a choke pull off?
If the engine is in good shape I see no reason for an electric pump
Hi Dominick, It has an electric choke that works perfectly. At least I think so, might be good to pull the air cleaner off when its fully warm and see whats up. Maybe its choking out when warm.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
after sitting warm, pull the air filter and looking into the carb open and close the throttle by hand. you should see a squirt of fuel go into the throat. if not, likely the float bowl is empty do to a leak or boiling over.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I went for a drive, got it fully warm. parked. pulled air cleaner, hand worked the throttle, got a nice stream of gas so its not starving.. I'm wondering if its a heat issue. The radiator is less than 3 yrs old, its bone stock except for exhaust system. I using the stock temp gauge.. being that its 60 years old, I may want to install an aftermarket gauge to really see how hot it gets. I'll also check the thermostat.
The stock gauge almost pegs when I stop and shut off, but once I start driving, it cools back to mid point. I'd love to install a larger radiator, but its a tiny space.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
You could get the cooling system flow checked
It might just need a good flushing because of the age of the car
Also put the correct thermostat and radiator cap on it

·
Registered
37 Posts
NICE COMET ! any more pics?

If it idles OK , probably isn't flooding from bad fuel bowl needle but could still be fuel contamination. What's fuel tank history?. A fuel filter before and after fuel pump is helpful with questionable fuel tanks and old rubber lines.

normal for temp gauge to go up as head temp rises without cooling circulation when stopped for short period..

always a good idea to supplement OEM gauges with mechanicals' for confidence in Oil pressure and Temps' monitoring.

... I run a Six with Holley 1904's by the threes with a fuel pressure regulator and lower than spec fuel bowl float level seems best.

typical 1904's can be leaky, finicky and nicely archaic ...

have fun

'61 Comet with a few 1904's

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NICE COMET ! any more pics?

If it idles OK , probably isn't flooding from bad fuel bowl needle but could still be fuel contamination. What's fuel tank history?. A fuel filter before and after fuel pump is helpful with questionable fuel tanks and old rubber lines.

normal for temp gauge to go up as head temp rises without cooling circulation when stopped for short period..

always a good idea to supplement OEM gauges with mechanicals' for confidence in Oil pressure and Temps' monitoring.

... I run a Six with Holley 1904's by the threes with a fuel pressure regulator and lower than spec fuel bowl float level seems best.

typical 1904's can be leaky, finicky and nicely archaic ...

have fun

'61 Comet with a few 1904's

Thanks Poweband! First off, I love your Comet. I hope to be in communications with you in the future as I have a 250 head and the Offenhauser 3x in a box ready to go. More on that later. The tank is newer. still shiny. But the car did sit in someones garage for a long time after it quit running, That's when I bought it about 3 years ago. So the tank and its health are pretty much unknown. I do need to look into this as my fuel gauge is not 100% accurate and I want to fix this, so that would be a good time to look at the fuel system. Previous owner sunk a lot of $$ in this car before she sold it and a new tank was one of her purchases. One would think after 3 years of cruising around the bad crap in the tank would be gone as I just put fuel in it yesterday.
I'm no master mechanic, but the 1904's are pretty simple and widely available. There is a vintage carb business just 25 miles down I-5 from me who sells kits and parts for these carbs so that's helpful.
I mentioned to another member of this forum that the radiator is new, I installed it but I never checked the thermostat, bad on my part. I'll look at all of this soon.
I love cruising in the Comet, with the 6, the front end is so light, it steers with two fingers. I'm about to ditch the 2 speed, I love the fact its air cooled, but its a lazy transmission. I have a C4 from a 6cyl mustang that's going in sometime next month.
Chat soon!
Dave

I'll

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So on your Offenhauser, Did you do the intake to intake install yourself? You did a great job

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
Do replace the fuel filter as suggested above.

Action

Reactions: HorridDave

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 1960 Radiator (with cooling capacity to support a 144 or 170 L6) has about 2/3 the cooling capacity of the 1963 and later cars that had the larger engines. I think your 200 L6 needs more cooling. I am about to work that same project myself. I have a 1960 Ranchero into which I installed a hopped-up 200 L6. As soon as I have a clear weekend, I will get into the project, which will require dome surgery on the sheet metal onto which the radiator mounts.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You mean like holding pedal to the floor? I'll try that, right now I just pump the pedal two or three times.
If the engine is already at operating temperature, you shouldn't need to pump the pedal. It might make the problem worse. My '62 170 seems to start better when hot by holding the pedal down about a third of the way and then cranking the engine. If it's gotten a bit flooded by sitting while not, that takes care of it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts