Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, I'm Simon and new here. One of the many fords I own is one I'd like to start collecting body parts for to start work on it hopefully this year. My first question is with the quarter panels. I can find the full pair of quarters, but where do I find the inner quarter aprons (if that's what they are called) that usually rot out with the lower rear quarters?
I have to get junk out of the garage to take pictures here soon, but I also know that where the kick panel goes on the passenger side just past the rocker has a hole (to the right of the floorboard not in the board itself). That I cannot find. Will I need to make it?

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
Congrats for the desire to bring back a ride from the 60s!!!

Your timing is good too! The aftermarket has seen the demand for Falcons (Like Mustang) and have made reproduction panels. Search the net for "1960 falcon panel" and you will find a number of sellers. Here is one.
RH / 1960-63 FALCON REAR QUARTER PANEL-REAR SECTION | eBay

The bummer will be panels unique to Ranchero. Those are likely not available. A donor vehicle may be needed for those kinds of parts.

And please post pictures.

Action

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats for the desire to bring back a ride from the 60s!!!

Your timing is good too! The aftermarket has seen the demand for Falcons (Like Mustang) and have made reproduction panels. Search the net for "1960 falcon panel" and you will find a number of sellers. Here is one.
RH / 1960-63 FALCON REAR QUARTER PANEL-REAR SECTION | eBay

The bummer will be panels unique to Ranchero. Those are likely not available. A donor vehicle may be needed for those kinds of parts.

And please post pictures.

Action
I found these on Ebay as well

What about the kick panel areas and the rear quarter panel inner aprons? I can't seem to find anything for that?
My first priority is to get it running and driving. I haven't started it in 7years. Probably need a gas tank to start with, lines and maybe a new edlebrock carb.

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
Hasn't been running - Bringing a car back from the dead! | Ford Automobiles (fordforumsonline.com)

If the tank is not leaking you may want to clean and coat.
I am not a fan of aftermarket carbs.

Action
lol well the drive train is aftermarket from its oiginal. The car was a parts runner for my grandpa's car shop and the 177 detonated one day. Engine and trans came out of a 66' stang. the rear is an 8 inch out of a mustang. Later as a daily driver in 04' when gas prices were 4 bucks a gallon I put an 86' AOD trans in it and later a 4bbl carb and intake on it. It has an edlebrock 500 cfm with electric choke on there I put on circa 2003.
My plan for the car is to build it like when I got it at 18. As an 18 year old kid would have in 1968-71 or 72. I intend on only using items available at that time. No EFI, no computers, sadly no mustang II suspension (unless I tire of not having it). I have a 289 HiPo (if I remember right) and a 4 speed toploader sitting for it, as the 289 in it is old and well driven.

Thanks for the link on bringing cars back from the dead.
Here is my 67' mustang I pulled out of a driveway last year. I bought this car years and years ago and it was mint. It won 2 trophies at local car shows. I got into a car accident and a family member helped me financially as a young man to keep it off my insurance record. I couldn't afford to pay them back so I gave them the car. A year or so later it started overheating so they parked it outside. It sat there 12 years and never moved and uncovered. last year they called and told me come get it or its fate was sealed, all I needed to pay was the tow home.
So brakes, lines, wheel cylinders, carb refresh, gas lines, gas tank, wires and plugs it was running a driving. As for the overheating? the original radiator was plugged completely up. I replaced it with a new one and it runs and drives great. I hope to get it back to what she once was when I owned it the first time.
20200412_175858.jpg
20200412_175907.jpg
20200412_175922.jpg
20200412_175945.jpg
20200412_180034.jpg
20200412_180109.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I got off topic about the mustang. The Ranchero inner rear quarter aprons and that kick panel on the passenger side. Will I need to source decent used ones?

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
No worries. Enjoyed the diversion.

Action

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
No. The system sidelined the post because of your low post count and the number of pictures.
I think i fixed that. You should be good

Action

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
The wheel well comes in two pieces. Inner and outer

These are unique to Ranchero, 2 door wagon, 4 door wagon and Sedan Delivery - Other body styles are different

Inner is C0DB 5927886 A and C0DB 5927887 A for right and left
Fits 1960 to 1964

Outer is C0DZ 5927894 A and C0DZ 5927895 A for right and left
Fits 1960 to 1963

I have not found these on the net

Action

·
Registered
50 Posts
Panels for the inner panels below trunk to outer quarter panel - Dropoffs' may be what you are describing. Repopped for more popular cars but early Falcon-Ranchero - probably not ...

My '61 Comet needed quarters and the inner 'dropoffs' . non shown - simply fabricated, unless absolute authenticity required.

have fu n

typical 'reopops';
:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the inner wheel wells extend to the end of the quarter panel?
Panels for the inner panels below trunk to outer quarter panel - Dropoffs' may be what you are describing. Repopped for more popular cars but early Falcon-Ranchero - probably not ...

My '61 Comet needed quarters and the inner 'dropoffs' . non shown - simply fabricated, unless absolute authenticity required.

have fu n

I didn't think of it. Yes, when compared to my mustang or Maverick, the Ranchero needs what would be the equivalent of the trunk dropoffs. Couldn't think of the word.
No, authenticity isn't big for the drop offs as the drive train is different. One thing since I was given this car is parts are sure hard to come by. Although it seems body parts are easier to find than they were 10 or 15 years ago. I found full quarters for 400 bucks I might go ahead and pick up.

·
Super Moderator
13,978 Posts
A quarter panel is usually referred to as an exterior sheet metal form the rear most exterior door to the rear of the vehicle. And it surrounds the rear tire and wheel assembly.

The outer wheel well attaches to the quarter panel and the inner wheel well.
The inner wheel well attaches to the outer wheel well and the interior floor pan. Or on a Ranchero attaches to the bed sheet metal.

Action

Inked1960-Ford-Ranchero-Bed_LI.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A quarter panel is usually referred to as an exterior sheet metal form the rear most exterior door to the rear of the vehicle. And it surrounds the rear tire and wheel assembly.

The outer wheel well attaches to the quarter panel and the inner wheel well.
The inner wheel well attaches to the outer wheel well and the interior floor pan. Or on a Ranchero attaches to the bed sheet metal.

Action

I get it. The area that is damaged I was trying to describe would be the drop offs on falcons and mustangs. I didn't know what to call them given the Ranchero has no trunk and really no drop off so to speak. If you take the tail light inspection plate off you can see the ground from inside the quarter drop off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found several Ranchero's and a couple of station wagons in a junk yard in Cali. One 60' Ranchero has what looks like a nice straight body on it. I'm supposed to get a call today after they lift it up to see if the drop offs are intact. Then I'll get a price and have them look at the passenger kick panel to perhaps have them cut that out as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good luck the last time I asked for a price on rear quarter panels for my falcon they tried to get $600 a side.
I found several Ranchero's and a couple of station wagons in a junk yard in Cali. One 60' Ranchero has what looks like a nice straight body on it. I'm supposed to get a call today after they lift it up to see if the drop offs are intact. Then I'll get a price and have them look at the passenger kick panel to perhaps have them cut that out as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good luck the last time I asked for a price on rear quarter panels for my falcon they tried to get $600 a side.
Well here's hoping they aren't that expensive. But that doesn't surprise me either. Decent ones are few and far between.
Once I get the harder to find body parts located I think I want to do something with the front suspension. I seem to remember the 64 or 65 falcons had good suspensions that would bolt to the 60's and you could get them with PS.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts