Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

1966fordmustangfrontsuspension.jpg

All,
I am upgrading my front suspension and rebuilding it today. My question is, the coil spring has the rubber insulator on top, is there any kind of guide as it seat above? The factory manual shows nothing, a 65 Mustang refers to an Upper Spring Cap but I can find nothing on this. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
You don't state what year Falcon you have. You can post it each time or upgrade your signature with year, model & engine. Is it a 1965?

Not all years had spring seats like the bottom illustration shows. The spring should be located in the spring seat or centered in the spring seat. The spring seat shown above is position sensitive. And the upper end of the spring will only fit one way.

Post back with pictures of your spring and insulator. Also what year With or with out AC

Action

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a 1960, the Mustang illustration shows "Spring Upper Cap", the Ranchero was a 6 and had nothing like that. I have rebuilt several mustangs over the years and don't ever remember that cap. I was just wondering if the spring is good seating on the shock tower with just the rubber insulator. Again, 1960 Ranchero, 65 Mustang suspension pieces and 65 Falcon Center Link.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
As long as you have a bushing and each side of the mounting and it is centered by the upper bracket and don't rub
I would think it would be good to go
I started working in Ford parts in late 1967 and I don't recall selling anything like that on a Mustang

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only thing I see is the spring seat for the upper control arm. There is nothing to center it from above, it is flat. So it would have the insulator/rubber for the top of the spring and that is it. I cant recall if any of the mustangs/fairlanes I have done have a lip on the top to center the spring or if it is just flat.

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
1960 X body (Falcon/Ranchero)
Has a spring with insulator mated to the inside upper tower
In 1961 a shim was added C1DZ 5355 A and only for vehicles with AC

I do not understand a spring upper cap unless that is meant to be a upper spring seat. Pictures or links to what you have would help. AND The bottom illustration shown in post 1 is for Fairlane. Close to Falcon and Mustang, just not exact and the upper spring seat shown is only for Fairlane

Data from the Ford MPC
1960 to 1970 X body has two rubber spring insulator on the top of the spring C1DZ 5415 A
In 1961 to 1963 X Body used two lower spring insulator C1DD 5415 A
In 1964 to 1970 X body used two lower insulator is C4DZ 5145 A

Mustang from 1965 to 1972 used two C4DZ 5145 A. Of note Fairlane used this same insulator from 1966 to 1972

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
1960 X body (Falcon/Ranchero)
Has a spring with insulator mated to the inside upper tower
In 1961 a shim was added C1DZ 5355 A and only for vehicles with AC

I do not understand a spring upper cap unless that is meant to be a upper spring seat. Pictures or links to what you have would help. AND The bottom illustration shown in post 1 is for Fairlane. Close to Falcon and Mustang, just not exact and the upper spring seat shown is only for Fairlane

Data from the Ford MPC
1960 to 1970 X body has two rubber spring insulator on the top of the spring C1DZ 5415 A
In 1961 to 1963 X Body used two lower spring insulator C1DD 5415 A
In 1964 to 1970 X body used two lower insulator is C4DZ 5145 A

Mustang from 1965 to 1972 used two C4DZ 5145 A. Of note Fairlane used this same insulator from 1966 to 1972

Sorry, pulled the pic for Mustang from the internet. This is a 1960 Ranchero. It didn’t have a spring cap on top. I am going back with Mustang control arms. I was unsure about it seating correctly at the top. Here is a shot of the top, unsure how this compares to 61 and up from what I read in your reply. (Thank you by the way).
CE3765CA-6140-4074-AF45-9BC487DDF4DF.jpeg
6F9CF459-7CA6-4AE5-B564-993165DF78F1.jpeg

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
I don't see why that wouldn't work
The shock tower could use a bit of work where it's cracked around the holes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed, I was going to pull it apart and weld the cracks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any pieces.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So these are from a 62 Four Door. I am unsure at this point if I do actually need them or if I can proceed without.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The reinforcement cup is in place in most early cars , some are loose when springs are pulled most are spot weld or just stuck in place

have fun

1 - 13 of 13 Posts