Ford Automobiles banner

1962 Fairlaine 500 First Project

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  charles jahnke 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey everyone. I am about to start my first ever project so I'm likely going to have a lot of questions. Fair warning.

It is a 1962 2dr Fairlane 500 with the original 221ci. It runs and drives now, but needs a lot of work. I will attach some pictures. First problem to tackle is that once running it will stay running and drive, but I need starter fluid to get it to start.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Coupé
Vehicle Engine Car
Flesh Muscle Metal
Flesh Muscle Metal
Couch Furniture Leather Chair Room
Couch Furniture Table Wood Leather
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Full-size car

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey everyone. I am about to start my first ever project so I'm likely going to have a lot of questions. Fair warning.

It is a 1962 2dr Fairlane 500 with the original 221ci. It runs and drives now, but needs a lot of work. I will attach some pictures. First problem to tackle is that once running it will stay running and drive, but I need starter fluid to get it to start.
Congrats on the Fairlane, Looks like a solid project.

#5 ·
You picked a great forum to help with your first project. I started mine last year and there are some great guys on here that know their stuff!

The advice I will give from my first project is this.

1. Design a good way to track what you take off and what goes where. I am new to mechanics so this was critical for me. I used my phone and labeled the steps, took before and after photos and videos and labeled my pieces by the step numbers. It was a big help when I went to put pieces back together.

2. Decide where you want to start so it does not seem like a never ending project. I started with my engine and tranny and restored my engine bay. That was my project last winter. Then I enjoyed my car a little this summer. This winter I will do the dash and under the dash wiring. Many people take the body off the chassey and work bottom up. This was too overwhelming and I would have likely given up as it would have been too big for me to do. And I would have lost interest. This incremental way works for me. Again not for everyone.

good luck man!

#7 ·
You picked a great forum to help with your first project. I started mine last year and there are some great guys on here that know their stuff!

The advice I will give from my first project is this.

1. Design a good way to track what you take off and what goes where. I am new to mechanics so this was critical for me. I used my phone and labeled the steps, took before and after photos and videos and labeled my pieces by the step numbers. It was a big help when I went to put pieces back together.

2. Decide where you want to start so it does not seem like a never ending project. I started with my engine and tranny and restored my engine bay. That was my project last winter. Then I enjoyed my car a little this summer. This winter I will do the dash and under the dash wiring. Many people take the body off the chassey and work bottom up. This was too overwhelming and I would have likely given up as it would have been too big for me to do. And I would have lost interest. This incremental way works for me. Again not for everyone.

good luck man!

It is a 1962 2dr Fairlane 500 with the original 221ci. It runs and drives now, but needs a lot of work. I will attach some pictures. First problem to tackle is that once running it will stay running and drive, but I need starter fluid to get it to start. View attachment 46836 View attachment 46837 View attachment 46838 View attachment 46839 View attachment 46840 View attachment 46841 View attachment 46842
I do what Tim says. First, I keep a build sheet on an Excel worksheet to track cost. If you don't your budget will steam roll out of control. Second, I take pictures of EVERYTHING. The one you think you will remember will kick your butt down the line trying to remember how it goes back together. Of course, it's much easier now with Forums and YouTube, but those pictures will be a huge help in the future. Finally, I have labeled plastic bins of various sizes that I keep my parts organized in. Depending on how far down you are going to tear it down to, you may have hundreds of various screws and trinkets from all over the car. Trust me when you start to reassemble you are going to want to know what all of those parts are for and where they go. For example, I put the dash instrument cluster and all of the screws to it in one box or bin and label it, steering column bolts in another small box or bin, and etc. Good luck with it, looks like you have a pretty good starter.

#6 ·
Welcome to the FFO!

We like questions and pictures.
Thanks for the pictures!

Ask the question any time. Even if you don't have a question, please post.

Action

#8 ·
Nice first project!! take lot's of pictures and bag and tag all hardware and clips,. That's how I do it, zip lock bags and sharpies are cheap ,as to banging your head on the wall trying to figure out how something goes back together!! Ask me how I know 🤣🤣🤣she looks solid!!

#9 · (Edited)
I want to echo the pictures and bagging. That can be such a labor saving procedure. There is a different forum I belong to that a guy bought a 60s' Lincoln that had been disassembled with zero references. Purchased from an estate and he said it got it cheap. However he posts frequently asking what bolt/screw/fastener does into XXXX assembly. It is painful reading his posts.

There is a selfish reason for the pictures. You can post them here too.

Thanks for the pictures you have posted.

Action

Reactions: Cacstang
#10 ·
Welcome to the forum! Looks like a unique project. You don't see many of that model and year driving around. Does it still have the 221 in it? I've never seen one. I had a 63 Falcon Sprint once with a 260 but never saw the baby brother. I guess you pretty much heard the most important tip, Pictures. I also would recommend planning and patience. Map out what you plan to do before you dive in. The fact it's your 1st project should help you in that regard.

Before you tear something apart make sure the parts are available. Invest in a shop manual if you can find one. They weren't the greatest back then but still better than going in blind. It's nice to know how a clip comes off before you snap it off or know what's behind a panel before you try and remove it. If you have questions take a picture and post it here and someone will offer some help.

Good luck!
Steve

Reactions: Action
#11 ·
Reactions: Cacstang
#13 ·
You have received some GREAT advice from several members. Follow it. My 63 Sprint sat in my garage for 38 years, (owned it for 51 years) up until I retired. did floor pans in pieces. repaired all sorts of rust spots, (bought a "parts" Sprint for $200 30 years ago and stripped it for parts, stashing them all over the garage. I've finally gotten around to piecing it back together over the past two years. It's running, registered and on the road, very drivable. Paint and body work for me next. PICTURES are the best as you work on it.... If that's a 221, you have a RARE find. Check your VIN. Good luck.

#14 · (Edited)
Alright guys thank you for all the great advice so far. This forum is great!

So since my last post, I have rebuilt the holley 2100 Carb, and that has solved my problem with keeping the car running. I just tuned it, and it seems to be running well and idling well. I took her around the block to see how she did and it felt good.

Next step in my project is fixing the burning oil situation. I can smell it in the exhaust pretty bad. So time to tackle that.

I'll post some more recent pictures shortly

#17 ·
Valve stem seals are inside the valve springs.
Originally they are pliable rubber. With enough heat and age they harden up and become brittle. If they become brittle enough they crack and break. Hard pieces get thrown outside of the valve spring then get washed to the oil drain back hole. Plugging that hole does two things
Slows the drain back of oil to the oil pan. With the possibility of oil starving the oil pump.
And overwhelming the valve cover gasket causing an oil leak at the valve cover.

If the valve stem seals are older than a couple of decades, likely they need replacing. The seals can be replaced without removing the heads, however you would need to pump shop air into the cylinders via spark plug holes. (Using an adaptor)

Action

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.