Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Four Door
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had the car for 11 years slowly trying to go back original. But considering swapping power plant. Would the 289 need a great deal of fabrication? And would the original 3 speed transmission bolt up. I was told The engine is out of a 1965 mustang.

·
Super Moderator
13,683 Posts
The Windsor small block was initially released in 1961. All Windsor small blocks (221, 260, 289) of the period have a 5 bolt bell housing pattern. Windsor small blocks produced after 08-03-1965 have a 6 bolt pattern bell housing that is larger in diameter.

The transmission should work. It has 4 bolts to the bell housing. The question is will the existing bellhousing bolt up?
If not you may need to get a later style bell housing.

The later (larger) style bell housing was needed because the clutch was too small for the more powerful small blocks.

Action

Reactions: Joshuajd94

·
Registered
243 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
That upgrade has been done, perhaps, millions of times--especially by early Mustang owners as V8 Mustangs are worth so much more than 6 cyl ones--in general. I would search the Mustang forums to find the how-to. In a nutshell, you need to upgrade the front and rear suspensions, read end and, obviously, the engine. All 6 cyl Falcons and Mustangs had 4 bolt hubs and wheels while all the V8 versions were upgraded by the factory to 5 bolt hubs and wheels from the early Fairlane

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Four Door
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Windsor small block was initially released in 1961. All Windsor small blocks (221, 260, 289) of the period have a 5 bolt bell housing pattern. Windsor small blocks produced after 08-03-1965 have a 6 bolt pattern bell housing that is larger in diameter.

The transmission should work. It has 4 bolts to the bell housing. The question is will the existing bellhousing bolt up?
If not you may need to get a later style bell housing.

The later (larger) style bell housing was needed because the clutch was too small for the more powerful small blocks.

Action
Thank you!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I purchased my car with a V8 already installed but the car was born a 6 cyl. I am about to pull the 289 out in a few weeks in favor of a 347. I already swapped out the rear to a 9" with disc brakes and the trans for a T5 so I'm almost to my goal. I am selling the 4 speed, bell housing and eventually the 289. I was fortunate the car came with V8 spindles which I converted to disc earlier this year.

It's been fun upgrading the car and hope when it's done I won't get bored!

Have fun!
Steve

·
Registered
108 Posts
To keep you from getting bored, skip the small block and go to a 428, 427, or a 511 FE. guaranteed not to get bored.
Plenty enough room for the FE when the shock towers are removed and a straight axle or mustang II front suspension is used. With 1,017 hp I don't get bored, scared yes, but not bored.
P1010480.JPG

·
Super Moderator
13,683 Posts
Or get a hunter killer

With the 7 speed automatic, this could make your Falcon stand up and get noticed.

Action

·
Registered
95 Posts
I gave the Coyote engine some thought but the amount of chopping that was needed turned me off on the idea. Not just the engine but the tunnel for the transmission etc. Instead I wanted something that was closer to stock looking other than a nice stance. The 347 I'm building should put out about 425-450 hp which in a car that light and a 4:30 gear should easily get out of its own way.

I'm not ruling out some engine compartment changes down the road but for now I want to enjoy the car. The new motor is going in probably mid to late December so I'll have an interesting spring.

Next major change will probably be a power rack as my new pulleys I ordered with double grooves for future use. Just have to research what headers to use and who's rack offers the least interference.

Steve

·
Registered
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
6 Posts
Hi all,

A little late to the party here but hopefully still soon enough to help the OP.

Way, way back in the olden days when I was a teenager, around 1969/70, I had a 1962 2-Door Futura with the 144ci 6-cylinder and "3 on the tree". The 6 was worn down and wouldn't hold oil pressure. At the time I was in Auto Shop in high school so I had plenty of resources. I bought a wrecked '65/'66 Mustang 289 with automatic transmission just for this purpose. The car had been smashed into from the rear and the front driven into a wall or barrier so it ended up being accordioned. I didn't think the auto tranny would be any good. We pulled it out and swapped it at a junkyard for the 3-speed setup, everything from the flywheel back.

I was told by Ford that the Falcon had to be manufactured after mid-October of its model year to have the strengthened front suspension as they were prepping for the 1963 models with the 260 V8. Luckily mine fit that requirement.

We replaced everything from the engine back to the rear axle with Mustang parts.

It was a long time ago, so many details are gone, but I remember the following mods we had to make:
  • Interior: Cutout the tranny tunnel to allow for the bigger transmission and floor shifter. I replaced it using the aluminum surround from a bar-b-que grill and some kind of glop to seal it from water. Hey, I was on a budget....
  • The engine/motor mounts bolted into the existing position just fine, but we had to weld in a crossbar for the transmission mount.
  • The way we wired the Alternator (car originally had a generator) made the "GEN" light part of the charging circuit. We pulled the bulb and tied the wires together, then installed a separate Voltmeter. I don't remember the specifics on why this happened, but I do remember it.
  • Due to the larger rear axle and my fondness for wide tires, we cut the rear fender wells out to allow fitting of G-width tires. I did some amateur Bondo work to make it a bit more presentable, but it cracked at the seam and later fell off.
  • I ran Thrush Glasspaks with the exhausts exiting in front of the rear tires on each side.
  • I installed Gabriel Air Shocks to keep the rear fenders from scraping the tires.

I sold her to a kid for about $200 when I enlisted in the USAF in 1972. I heard through family members he wrapped it around a tree within a few months.

Here's a couple of pics. These are the only two I can find, maybe Mom had some but she passed away years ago and don't know where her photos went.

falcon-1.jpg

falcon-2.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts