Ford Automobiles banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
That's nice!

I had a 63.5 Sprint in Windsor White and Rangoon Red interior for a few years in the 00's. It was a Frankenstein car - parts from here, parts from there, parts from who knows where. When the water pump started leaking I took it to the local parts store and the guy found it was from a '65 289. It had the 2-speed automatic. I had some brake work done and again found out the rear axle was from a 64-65 car.

I'm not complaining about the above, I just fell in love with it when I saw it. Given the age of the car, it doesn't surprise me that many parts were mixed in. And it sounded great with Thrush mufflers on dual pipes.

One complaint I got always got was how the front fender "Sprint V8" emblems were arranged. I liked them that way.

The pics below were one of the ways it looked while I had it. I also had the 13" spinner hubcaps.

I sold it when I bought the new Challenger.

View attachment 48518

View attachment 48519
That is beautiful 馃ぉ
What are spinner hubcaps?

Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
See the hubcaps in post #35.

Bob

Reactions: Montecresto

Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Well, I hadn't heard anything from NAPA, so I went by to let them know I had all the parts and see where I was on the schedule. After flipping through his notepad looking for my info, which I knew was there because I saw him write it down, he couldn't find it. Then he wandered off and came back a few minutes later not looking too happy. Apparently his guy had decided he didn't want to do it. He proceeded to call various places in the area that work on the classics, but didn't have any luck. Oil changes and wiper blades are much easier. He did his best but ended up with nothing.
I drove to the Ford dealer in the next town over and spoke to them. The lady service writer checked with the techs in back and they said they'd do it, but with the caveat that if they couldn't drill out any broken bolts we'd be looking at a new head. I'll be paying enough with their shop rates.
Here's hoping they'll do right by us.
Appointment is for May 10.

Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
Well, I hadn't heard anything from NAPA, so I went by to let them know I had all the parts and see where I was on the schedule. After flipping through his notepad looking for my info, which I knew was there because I saw him write it down, he couldn't find it. Then he wandered off and came back a few minutes later not looking too happy. Apparently his guy had decided he didn't want to do it. He proceeded to call various places in the area that work on the classics, but didn't have any luck. Oil changes and wiper blades are much easier. He did his best but ended up with nothing.
I drove to the Ford dealer in the next town over and spoke to them. The lady service writer checked with the techs in back and they said they'd do it, but with the caveat that if they couldn't drill out any broken bolts we'd be looking at a new head. I'll be paying enough with their shop rates.
Here's hoping they'll do right by us.
Appointment is for May 10.
Wow, best of luck on that...馃

Administrator
Post back with your results.

If it were me, I would have looked for a machine shop. Or an engine rebuild shop.
Those guys are used to dealing with machining operations that are beyond what a NAPA shop would do.

Smaller towns are hit and miss kind of thing. You might find a highly skilled machinist. However that kind of skill usually is found in larger city as wages are higher there.

Not sure what city you are in as your profile is not complete
So this shop in Phoenix would be something I would seek near you as a solution. Doesn't sound like the Ford dealership is equipped to deal with machining that would be needed for a broken bolt.
Engine Rebuild Near Me - Arizona Engine Rebuilding Premier Company

Action

Administrator
And you might want to know what it costs to get a replacement head before the work is quoted.
If the quote goes beyond what you could get a replacement head, why bother. Just get the replacement head

Action

Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Sorry about that. I tend not to giveaway too much personal info on public forums.

We're in a small town west of Atlanta, Ga. Not too much around here, but plenty in Atl, which I tend to stay far, far away from. We used to live in the Phoenix area, but moved here to Ga about 3 years ago.

The machine shop suggestion is a good one, but again it entails far more than I am equipped to handle in case something goes sideways. As it is, the 170/200 engine is quite common and shouldn't be an issue for the dealership. They'll have to get my approval for any work above and beyond replacing the manifold. We'll see what happens.

Bob

edited to add more info.

Administrator
Location can come in handy for someone to help you if the issue is related to temperature or some other factor like humidity. I understand it gets rather humid there.

I know you have it at the dealership. And a place like this could work.
Custom Welding Fixture & Precision Machining | Cobb Tool, Inc.

Removing the head with the manifold still attached may not be beyond your skill set.
And you are correct, that six is widely available. The only six I ever had was a 250 six in a 78 Granada. That was a very good experience. The engine didn't have the get up and go I wanted but lasted a very long time. Had 175K miles on it and was still runnniing strong when I sold it,

Action

Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Took her over to the dealer yesterday and dropped it off with all the parts. They're supposed to start on her Monday.

My son said she was running really good, even with the noise from the exhaust.

Everything has been great since we replaced the plugged fuel filter with two new ones. Haven't seen any evidence of tank residue collecting in either of them.

Bob

Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Got a call from the service advisor yesterday. Labor cost estimates are $460-ish if all goes well and about $580-ish if any broken bolts need to be drilled out.

I gave them the OK to proceed.

Bob

Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
Got a call from the service advisor yesterday. Labor cost estimates are $460-ish if all goes well and about $580-ish if any broken bolts need to be drilled out.

I gave them the OK to proceed.

Bob
Sounds like the dealer is being kind....馃槑

Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Picked her up from the dealer this morning, sounds much, much better.

They had to redrill some holes in the new manifold because they didn't line up with the holes on the head. I looked at the old manifold and you can see some of the holes are oblong like they were drilled out also. There's no mention of broken studs, only the manifold mounting holes.

Total out the door was about $680, includes an oil change, the shop supplies fee, taxes, etc.

They also pointed out the motor mounts are broken. We can change them.

I drove it back, she is running really good, easily pulled up hills with smooth acceleration.

Marking this thread resolved.

Thanks to all for your input.

Bob

Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
Picked her up from the dealer this morning, sounds much, much better.

They had to redrill some holes in the new manifold because they didn't line up with the holes on the head. I looked at the old manifold and you can see some of the holes are oblong like they were drilled out also. There's no mention of broken studs, only the manifold mounting holes.

Total out the door was about $680, includes an oil change, the shop supplies fee, taxes, etc.

They also pointed out the motor mounts are broken. We can change them.

I drove it back, she is running really good, easily pulled up hills with smooth acceleration.

Marking this thread resolved.

Thanks to all for your input.

Bob
Great News!!!!

Administrator
Very nice!!

Create a new thread and show us (with pictures) your engine mount replacement adventure
You might inspect he transmission mount as well
All of them have rubber. And rubber does not last for ever

Action

Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
While replacing the front bumper I noticed the car wasn't as quiet as it should be. It was definitely quieter than before the exhaust manifold was replaced, but still too loud. I think it should be purring quietly. With the engine running, I placed my hand down where the exhaust pipe is bolted to the manifold and felt hot air coming out towards the engine compartment passenger side corner. I suppose that would be about the 7 or 8 o'clock position if looking directly at the side of the engine..

It seems the good guys at the Ford dealership didn't get the gasket there seated properly. When my son took it to the exhaust place they replaced a flat gasket that was burned through. I gave the dealership a new gasket when they did the manifold.

When I looked online for that gasket they listed a donut and the flat, I bought one of each and still have the donut gasket.

Any input on fixing the leak? Would the donut gasket work? Can I stack a couple of flats?

Thanks,
Bob

Registered
I think you needed the donut one.
But be aware if the engine mount where you attach the pipe to the engine block, its a hanger thats bolted onto the block wher you clamp the pipe to, is missing or is loose the pipe wil work itself loose and the donut will also start to leak.
Ive gone through a couple before i found out....
Good luck trouble shooting..

Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Thanks.

I saw a bracket connected to the exhaust pipe where it goes below the firewall. I wondered what that was.

Bob

41 - 60 of 77 Posts