Ford Automobiles banner
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Hi Action,

I reviewed the links you posted above from Jalopy Journal and Mileposts Garage.

The first had lots of different suggestions and comments, hard for a newbie at this to follow.

The Mileposts Garage was more of a recommended procedure. I'll try following it next time we work on it.

Thanks,
Bob

Reactions: Action

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Worked on the passenger front brake yesterday. Found the metal on the brakes shoes scraping on the inside of the drum. They appeared to be installed properly. There was also scoring on the backplate where the metal on the shoes seemed to be scraping when they actuated (sorry, didn't get a pic of that).

Picked up a set of new shoes at Carquest - Autozone showed them as "not available", O'Reilly's had them listed but had to be ordered. Carquest had two sizes listed - I had never heard of that before, but only hd the smaller size (9" x 11 1/4" IIRC) in stock. We took those. I later found a website that listed the brake shoe sizes for all the Ford models, but didn't bookmark it. I shoudld be able to find it again with a DDG (Duck-Duck-Go.com I weaned myself off that big tracking search engine, the one that starts with a G) search.They looked the same when compared to the old shoes, we went ahead and installed them. Got everything back together and adjusted. Took it for a test drive and all was well, no scraping sound, nice and quiet. Had a slight pull to the drivers side - the side we didn't touch. Might need to tighten the passenger side just a bit.

Ran out of time. Didn't have a chance to check the spark plugs or do the vacuum timing procedure.

Pics below of the old shoes and drum. You can see the scraping on the shoe metal, it's on all 4 outside edges, but curiously only at the ends of the metal, nothing in the middle. It's like they were pushed out at a weird angle. No idea what would cause it to do that.

Bob

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle brake Gas Rim

White Light Automotive tire Helmet Outdoor shoe

Automotive tire Wheel Tread Wood Tire

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I think I figured out the problem with the scraping brake shoes.....

The retiner springs in the center of the shoes are the "top Hat" style springs, as shown in the first pic (both below and in the 1st and 2nd pics in the previous post). When I removed them they were significantly bent where the small part of the spring meets the larger part that holds it in place in the shoe.

I think this shifted or got into position where it allowed the shoes to come away from the backing plate and cause the scraping.

I'm going to pickup a set of the standard type retaining springs (2nd pic) and replace them when we work on the brakes next time. I'll get the complete kit with retaining rods, etc, and do both sides.

In the meantime we'll keep an ear out for the noise to return and if so, park her until we get time to fix it.

Bob

Rectangle Line Font Parallel Circle

Organism Liquid Font Fluid Circle

·
Administrator
15,394 Posts
The bigger shoe is usually for because the drums are bigger on wagons, cop cars and taxi

Action

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
At the top of the shoe where the springs go you should have a winged type retainer

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry, I don't see what you are talking about......

Bob

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
At the top where the spring mount there is a wing shaped retainer that goes over the stud in the backing plate where the springs attach

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Hmmm, I've never seen a retaining ring or clip there. The stud the springs wrap around has an edge on it to keep the springs from slipping off. It also fits perfectly for the brake tool to grab onto when reinstalling the springs.

Bob

81 - 89 of 89 Posts