Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The '62 Falcon sounds like an old tractor going down the road. From what I can hear under the hood, it appears to be the intake/exhaust manifold area is causing the noise. My son took it to an exhaust shop to have the flange gasket where the manifold connects to the exhaust pipe, they said everything back from that point is good.

Are there any tricks to replacing the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets? To me it looks like it could be unbolted in place and pulled back for access to the gaskets to remove and replace. I'd use a vacuum cleaner to suck out any debris that may get into the intake ports.

The only thing that looks like it would need to be disconnected is the carburetor throttle linkage and maybe a few hoses.

Is there anything wrong with my plan? I only have standard mechanics tools, including torque wrenches. I've done plenty of work on things attached to the engine, I just don't get inside them.

I'm just planning at this point, I haven't purchased the new gasket(s).

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Bob there will be some Falcon members that should be able to help you
When they come aboard

·
Super Moderator
14,424 Posts
Use lots of penetrating oil well in advance of removing fasteners.
Breaking bolts or nuts will require head removal.
And it is not unheard of to have cracks the exhaust manifold.

Action

Reactions: Bob2

·
Registered
74 Posts
"Futura Sport / 170ci Straight 6 / 4-Speed Manual Floor Shift / Pretty much all original .."

Sounds cool with the iconic Dagenham 4 spd with Hypodermic reverse lockout?

The Falcon 170 and the other 'small block six' fords, have an 'integral' or nonremovable Intake manifold, its part of head casting.

The removable Exhaust manifold often needs attention with replacement of gasket to the head. As mentioned, this is a 'dicey' repair if engine has not had manifold removed in recent past. Rusted fasteners often will break off requiring a machinist or similar repair after removing entire cyl, head.

If manifold and bolts look clean like previously serviced, the manifold can fairly easily be removed for gasket replacement. As also mentioned the manifold should be carefully inspected for cracks. New manifolds are readily available from multiple vendors.

have fun

·
Registered
30 Posts
As stated above use copious amounts of penetrating oil well in advance. When I removed mine 3 or 4 bolts broke. Since my engine was headed to a shop that was unfortunate but not desastrous.
I built everything together with copper grease on the threads. Had to remove the manifold a couple of times and haven't had any broken bolts since.
Falconparts sells an improved manifold that is less prone to cracking. You have to order the new bolt kit as well.

·
Super Moderator
14,424 Posts
I'm just planning at this point, I haven't purchased the new gasket(s).

Thanks,
Bob
Hope you post back.

And if you decide to take it apart, post the entire procedure. The ups and downs are OK.
Trust me we have all been through those ups and downs on all projects

Action

Reactions: Bob2

·
Registered
78 Posts
yes, soak them bolts down really really good. even after that you still might have 1 or 2 break off. loosen them slowly and take your time. if you have to back and forth a little then spry w liquid wrench and repeat. i had (3) break off in mine, i was able to get them drilled out and re taped with out taking off the head luckily =)
mine was due the the fact that the prev. owner used low grade bolts when they did repairs.

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Arrgghhhh.....

"Sounds cool with the iconic Dagenham 4 spd with Hypodermic reverse lockout?"
Ahhh - so that's what it's called. It has the two arms that are pulled by fingers to get it into reverse. The shifter handle looks very much like your 3rd pic. Not sure how rare this model is, I know the vast majority either had 3 on the column or the 2-speed automatic.

I appreciate all the replies and fair warnings of bolts breaking off. I can pretty much guarantee the engine has never been worked on. We've owned it since 2002 and no work has been done in that timeframe.

This job appears to be more than we are willing to risk at this point. If bolts do break off I seriously doubt if I'd be able to repair it.

For now, we'll just live with it.

Thanks again, I do appreciate the opinions posted.

·
Super Moderator
14,424 Posts
And the longer you delay the leak will get worse.
If the leak is at the joint between the manifold and head, there can be damage to that mating surface.
That might require machine work to smooth the surface on the head and replacement of the manifold.

Action

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Valid point.
The local NAPA service center did an excellent job on the brakes about a year ago and charged a fair price. I'll contact them. They'd be better prepared for any complications.
Bob

·
Registered
74 Posts
... appears to be more than we are willing to risk at this point

... when you do get around to it, if you can find someone willing/capabe to do a 'valve job', it's not considered difficult on the Falcon six. A fresh 'valve job' can rejuvenate the anvil strong little six. Often the basic engine (bottom end) can be left undisturbed and head taken to machine shop or swapped at a box store. Valve grind or replaced, broken fasteners repaired and usually the head has manifold and block side milled flat. With 'valve job' the milling can kick up the compression ratio a little as well to enhance the six's performance.

hav e fun

Swapped a Dagee' 4 spd into the '63 Wagon 170 for the 3OTT. . Later used a low-miles Maverick 170 and added a T5 for the overdrive. The '63s 170 has head milled seriously and runs a 'steel shim' (thinner) head gasket to push CR to approaching 10:1. Gets good mileage and is quite peppy. (on 93 octane).

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^^^^^^^

What dash is that in your 3rd pic? I had a 63 1/2 Falcon Sprint in the early 2000s (sold it in 2009), the dash was very similar to the 62.

My son found this on ebay and ordered it. It matches the original overall design but has more retro looking gauges. It adds a Tach and has a full set of gauges on the right side.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dash looks real nice and with added gaugee, looks like form follows function ...

What dash is that in your 3rd pic?

Dash in my 3rd '63 pic' is from an early Ford Comet and go pedal is Speed King Kik drum'. Jet-Age cues, not really customized, just personalized...

hav e fun

'61 Comet has Jet Age cockpit from the MEL design studios (with fender Gunsights):

. .

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice.
I never got into the Mercurys when I was a kid. Everybody was into Chevys so naturally I went with Fords to be different.
I remember the Comet though, what a crazy design it was. It's still very unique.
Nice interior and dash in the Comet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sorrry if I'm getting in the weeds here, but some archaic info:

Didja' know the '60 and '61 Comet were not Mercury Comet but (FoMoCo) Comet. In 1959 when the Edsel was cut from production the Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln dealerships were rebadged Mercury-Lincoln-Comet dealers with the Comet as a separate line. In 1962 the Comet was folded into the Mercury line and only then badged as a Mercury.

'61 COMET VIN

·
Super Moderator
14,424 Posts
Sorry if I'm getting in the weeds here, but some archaic info:

Didja' know the '60 and '61 Comet were not Mercury Comet but (FoMoCo) Comet. In 1959 when the Edsel was cut from production the Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln dealerships were rebadged Mercury-Lincoln-Comet dealers with the Comet as a separate line. In 1962 the Comet was folded into the Mercury line and only then badged as a Mercury.

'61 COMET VIN
This forum website isn't that big.
We (and when I say we, I mean me) like the weeds.
And as long as Bob has no objections .......

Comet was originally going to be part of Edsel Sales Division. Developed in conjunction with Falcon but stretched longer
First year of Comet was model year 1960
However, Ford announced the end of Edsel in November 1959
Meaning Comet was an orphan without a Sales Division

As to good looking cars at a distance, I can relate. Have some of those.

Action

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As stated above use copious amounts of penetrating oil well in advance. When I removed mine 3 or 4 bolts broke. Since my engine was headed to a shop that was unfortunate but not desastrous.
I built everything together with copper grease on the threads. Had to remove the manifold a couple of times and haven't had any broken bolts since.
Falconparts sells an improved manifold that is less prone to cracking. You have to order the new bolt kit as well.
Thanks for the lead on the exhaust manifold. I checked it out, they're not that expensive.
I stopped at the NAPA garage earlier and discussed the situation with the head man over there. They're ok with doing the labor. I told him I would pick up the parts and have everything ready in a week or so. They have one guy that does the classics, he's in the middle of one right now and has one behind that. I'm 3rd in line. So I'll go ahead and order the manifold, both gaskets and the extended bolt kit.
Thanks again!
Bob

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Action and Powerband,

No worries from me, I enjoy the discussion. Interesting history.
I was 7 years old in 1960 so I was not into cars at that time. I remember my Grandfather bought a new 1960 Falcon Station Wagon. One day he gave me a ride to school and we passed by a couple of my buddies who were walking to the bus stop, Grandpa didn't stop for them. I caught hell from them for that. At that time the Falcon was a tiny car compared to the rest of Detroit's offerings, Grandpa's previous car was a late 50s Pontiac Chieftain, it was huge. So anyhow, my friends started making comments like "Hope it doesn't run over a piece of bubble gum, it'll get stuck" and other wiseacre cracks. Funny how I can still see their faces saying that.
It was in the late 60s when I was in high school that I got involved with cars. I was in Auto Shop and one of my friends parents gave me a 1962 Falcon Futura with the 144ci six and 3 on the column when they were transferred to another state. That poor old engine was worn out, wouldn't hold oil pressure for anything and 1st gear was gone. I burned up clutches left and right from starting in 2nd gear. I started working as a janitor at the local base NCO Club, one of the guys there had a 65-ish 289 Mustang 3-speed on the floor that got accordioned by a drunk driver. I bought it off him for $150 and me and a couple buddies swapped the powertrain into the Falcon, between using the high school auto shop during the school year and the base Auto Shop during the summer we got it done in about 9 months.
I had to sell it when I got married and joined the military. The guy that bought it still posts pics on FB periodically. He drag raced it on weekends and one night lost control and totaled it. Sadly, he lived.....
Bob

Reactions: Action
1 - 20 of 30 Posts