Ford Automobiles banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
Discussion Starter #41
Well, the problem is back.

Since we worked on it during the Christmas and New Year Holiday (see post 34) everything was fine until today. It only gets driven on weekends for running errands, so it took a few weeks for the problem to show up. Between New Years and today, it was ok on the weekends of the 9th and 16th.

Everything started out fine this morning, our son started the car and let it warm up. Took it over the a small shop close-by in town, then headed out to a small town about 8 miles away to pickup groceries. He got about a mile or so down the road and the engine stopped. It restarted ok, but when he tried to drive it would die out again. This repeated a few times until he got safely off the road and called me. Using starting fluid we were able to get it running but it would soon die out again. Generally it started up again but would then die out again. The air-fuel mixture seemed to make a difference but the engine wouldn't run long enough to be sure. Occasionally when it started there would be a cloud of black smoke come out of the exhaust pipe, almost like a backfire but without the noise. It makes me think the carb is dumping fuel into the engine. We also got some knocking noises that made me think it was having pre-detonation from the fuel dumping into the engine.

When the problem first showed up before Christmas we checked the fuel pump, the clear fuel filter has gas in it so I am confident the fuel pump is working properly.

When it became clear it wasn't going to magically fix itself, we hooked up a tow strap and took it back to his house.

It's looking to me like a carburetor problem. It has an Autolite 1100 on it. I've never had any luck doing rebuild kits on any carburetor as mentioned in one of the early posts, so we are looking at purchasing a new/refurbed carb. Most of the ones we find are Chinese HENKYO brand.

Found one on ebay in Ca, supposed to get here Feb 2..

Bob

Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
Discussion Starter #43
For the wheels we put spray painted them (definitely not a pro job, just sanded down and sprayed from a rattle can), put on 13" Trim Rings and dog dish hubcaps we picked up on ebay.

Bob

Reactions: Montecresto

Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
Well, the problem is back.

Since we worked on it during the Christmas and New Year Holiday (see post 34) everything was fine until today. It only gets driven on weekends for running errands, so it took a few weeks for the problem to show up. Between New Years and today, it was ok on the weekends of the 9th and 16th.

Everything started out fine this morning, our son started the car and let it warm up. Took it over the a small shop close-by in town, then headed out to a small town about 8 miles away to pickup groceries. He got about a mile or so down the road and the engine stopped. It restarted ok, but when he tried to drive it would die out again. This repeated a few times until he got safely off the road and called me. Using starting fluid we were able to get it running but it would soon die out again. Generally it started up again but would then die out again. The air-fuel mixture seemed to make a difference but the engine wouldn't run long enough to be sure. Occasionally when it started there would be a cloud of black smoke come out of the exhaust pipe, almost like a backfire but without the noise. It makes me think the carb is dumping fuel into the engine. We also got some knocking noises that made me think it was having pre-detonation from the fuel dumping into the engine.

When the problem first showed up before Christmas we checked the fuel pump, the clear fuel filter has gas in it so I am confident the fuel pump is working properly.

When it became clear it wasn't going to magically fix itself, we hooked up a tow strap and took it back to his house.

It's looking to me like a carburetor problem. It has an Autolite 1100 on it. I've never had any luck doing rebuild kits on any carburetor as mentioned in one of the early posts, so we are looking at purchasing a new/refurbed carb. Most of the ones we find are Chinese HENKYO brand.

Found one on ebay in Ca, supposed to get here Feb 2..

Bob
I see you can get a remanufactured Holly for $492.00

Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
Discussion Starter #45
I see you can get a remanufactured Holly for $492.00
Owwwww! Wallet pain!!!

Stuff sure has gotten expensive. Back in the late 60s when I was a poor teenager, I bought Holley 500 2-barrels for the 289 for what I remember to be $25. Anything more and I couldn't afford it. I could be wrong on the price but I couldn't afford much more.

I'm pretty sure the one I bought on ebay is a HENKYO Chinese knock-off, it only cost about $125 with free shipping. I'm thinking about keeping the Autolite, put a rebuild kit in it and keep it for a spare. Hopefully it will go better than my past experience.

Come to think about it, I need to verify the one that's on there is actually an Autolite and not a knock-off.

Bob

Super Moderator
A float setting may be the issue.
It would require disassembling the carb and following the directions in the shop manual or in a carb over haul kit
Action

Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
Discussion Starter #47
^^^^^^^^

I was thinking that also.

When the engine would start using starter spray, it would run for maybe 30-45 seconds then just slowly wind down and stop like it ran out of gas. I also noticed a few times when the gas pedal was pushed it gave a hesitation like a vacuum leak would cause.

But it never ran long enough to get a handle on it.

Bob

Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
Owwwww! Wallet pain!!!

Stuff sure has gotten expensive. Back in the late 60s when I was a poor teenager, I bought Holley 500 2-barrels for the 289 for what I remember to be $25. Anything more and I couldn't afford it. I could be wrong on the price but I couldn't afford much more.

I'm pretty sure the one I bought on ebay is a HENKYO Chinese knock-off, it only cost about $125 with free shipping. I'm thinking about keeping the Autolite, put a rebuild kit in it and keep it for a spare. Hopefully it will go better than my past experience.

Come to think about it, I need to verify the one that's on there is actually an Autolite and not a knock-off.

Bob
As a kid I鈥檇 buy those Carter carburetor rebuild kits, 8-10 bucks, but I always had like a ball bearing thingy, a spring, maybe a brass needle valve and stuff left over....馃槼

Super Moderator
^^^^^^^^
I also noticed a few times when the gas pedal was pushed it gave a hesitation like a vacuum leak would cause.

Bob
Usually a sign the accelerator pump in the carb is not working well. Another reason to overhaul the carb.

Action

Super Moderator
Nice ride!!! Thanks for the pictures.
If it was dry outside I would have been tempted to drive it home.

When it comes time to replace the tires, consider white walls

Action

Reactions: Montecresto

Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
Nice ride!!! Thanks for the pictures.
If it was dry outside I would have been tempted to drive it home.

When it comes time to replace the tires, consider white walls

Action
Believe it or not, it came with a custom car cover and a set of snowball tires for summer....

The drive from Chicago to Las Vegas New Mexico is farther than I鈥檇 want to drive her, but Sunday drives are going to be nice...馃憤

Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
Discussion Starter #56
Very nice!
The wheel covers look like the ones that were on the 63 1/2 Falcon Sprint I had about 15 years ago.
Some have raised issues with the orientation of the Sprint V8 badges on the front fenders. The factory orientation was side-by-side, not over-under as these were. I personally liked the orientation in the pics below.
Bob

P7120020.jpg

P7120022.jpg

P7120027a.jpg

Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Usually a sign the accelerator pump in the carb is not working well. Another reason to overhaul the carb.

Action
Yes, I was thinking that too.
I have a poor record rebuilding carbs, but if it works it will save some bucks.
And it will give me a chance to look inside and see if there's anything obviously wrong.
Bob

Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
Discussion Starter #58
The wheels/tires on the Sprint were 13" 5-lug in the pics above.
I messed around with the wheels quite a bit and at one time I put black painted 14" wheels with chrome trim rings and lug nuts. Gave it a bit of a different look. I did encounter some rubbing issues front and back. I added air shocks on the back to cure the problem there.
Also had the windows tinted. At the time we lived in the Phoenix, Az area, had 4-40 AC at the time.

P8120086.jpg

Reactions: Action

Registered
When the engine would start using starter spray, it would run for maybe 30-45 seconds then just slowly wind down and stop like it ran out of gas.

Sorry to hear of the return of the conkin' out.

. From mid-2008 until late 2017 it sat under a makeshift carport

.. was wondering if it has a new fuel filter before carb?. simply sitting for awhile can cause fuel tank to lightly rust /corrode internally and after, may dislodge dissolved particles once returned to driving it around and sloshing the fuel in tank. I've experienced this more than once and always use a temporary small fuel tank when resurrecting a sleeper car .Dust sized particles can coat or clog filters and carb internal parts which a 'Jiffy Kit' rebuild will not remedy. Temp.small external (mower) tank is handy to diagnose.

have fun

' 61 rescue with w/mower tank'

41 - 60 of 87 Posts