Ford Automobiles banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
^^^^^^
Love the paint job on your Merc! That was a really unique body design.

Yes, there is a clear fuel filter on the inlet to the fuel pump. I was concerned about the same problem. I put the filter at the inlet of the fuel pump to eliminate contaminants at the front door. I put a clear one on so maybe, just maybe I could see any debris collecting in it.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
. Absolutely beautiful. Makes me want to turn our race car into a daily driver.
That's an awesome looking car. Love that shade of green.

Reactions: Montecresto

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
54 Posts
Very nice!
The wheel covers look like the ones that were on the 63 1/2 Falcon Sprint I had about 15 years ago.
Some have raised issues with the orientation of the Sprint V8 badges on the front fenders. The factory orientation was side-by-side, not over-under as these were. I personally liked the orientation in the pics below.
Bob

View attachment 47386

View attachment 47387

View attachment 47388
Yeah, I’ll be hunting down the original wheel coverings. But I also think I’ll get a second set of wheels and have them painted to match, and get a set of dog dish caps to mount the snowballs to for summertime.

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Finally got around to installing the new carb today. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem. I'll set the original one aside and save for possible later use, it's a Holley 1BBL

On the new carb, I set the idle mixture out 3.5 turns from gentle bottom and got it running enough to get the idle speed roughly set.

To recap: It starts fine, runs for about 6-8 seconds, then the idle smooths out, runs a little higher (like it's starving for fuel), then stalls. It will start right back up and repeat the process.

Late last year we were trying to get the vacuum wipers working and replaced the non-vacuum port fuel pump with one that had vacuum ports. The vacuum wiper was jammed up, we replaced it with a bolt-in electric wiper motor so the vacuum ports are no longer needed.

Since the carb didn't do anything to resolve the problem, I'm going to put the original fuel pump back in and also replace the fuel filter while we're at it.

The fuel filter is a see-through type. I watched the bowl while the engine was running, it did not empty out. The fuel filter is on the output side of the fuel pump.

Note to self: Check the oilpan dipstick for gasoline smell. Just in case - I had a fuel pump internal diaphragm break on a old Buick back in the 70s and dumped fuel into the oilpan. The front oil pan seal was ruined but luckily no other damage or ill effects.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
14,409 Posts
Just because the carb bowl does not run out of fuel does not mean the fuel level in the bowl is good enough.
Float level is critical in a carb because it impacts all systems in the carb. Do make sure it is at the correct level.
And you are changing lots of parts. Instead of replacing the fuel pump, why don't you test the pressure.
Don't have a pressure gauge?
The shop manual has a volume test. I believe it is how many seconds to fill a quart jar. Yes there is a spec.

If your ignition system is correctly set for dwell and base timing, adjust fuel mixture screws with a vacuum gauge.

Hook up vacuum gauge to manifold vacuum.
Warm up engine.
Set the curb idle speed (in gear if it's an automatic).
Turn the mixture screws out to get the highest vacuum reading and then stop - you're done.
Re-adjust the curb idle speed if needed.

Action

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks Action.

Those are all good ideas, but the engine doesn't run long enough to do tests. Base adjustments are close enough to allow it to run, I don't need to mess with the gas pedal for it to run for the short time that it does.

Everything is mounted properly and tightened down. I grabbed the body of the carb and pushed/pulled all directions, nothing moved. New base gasket on the carb.

Fuel pressure appears to be ok. There was a severe crimp in the metal fuel line where it wraps around the front of the valve cover. I thought it may be restricting fuel flow so I cut that section out and replaced it with new 3/8" fuel hose and clamps. When I disconnected the fuel line there was a short spray, so I'm thinking the fuel pressure is ok. Replacing that section did not fix the problem.

I'm having the exact same symptoms with two different carbs, not likely the floats would be misadjusted in both? More likely to me that the problem is not in the carb since nothing changed when it was replaced.

Ignition does not appear to be the problem. The engine starts fine, no missing or other ignition related symptoms. It does a smooth high rev just before dying - a classic fuel starvation symptom. The ignition/spark is working ok. Once the engine gets started, she starts right up and runs ok. Even after dying, the engine will start right back up. It could use some adjusting, but it is running on its own without me messing with the accelerator pedal or otherwise helping it along.

I agree replacing the carb was a shot-in-the-dark. But the fuel pump was previously replaced and could be a candidate for the problem. There was nothing wrong with the original fuel pump, it was replaced because we were trying to get the vacuum wipers to work. They didn't, we installed a bolt-in electric wiper motor. Though the above mention of fuel spray when I disconnected the fuel line makes me think the fuel pump is ok.

Here's a link to an M4A audio file of the engine running. The "high, smooth idle" happens at the 18/19 sec mark and goes for about two seconds, then the engine dies. The engine is running with the air-cleaner off, so the carb sucking sound is more pronounced. The entire duration of the engine running before going into fuel starvation is about 16 seconds - just to correct my previously posted "6-8 seconds" statement.

Writing this down and going through the symptoms is making me think I need to look for a vacuum leak in the intake manifold area.......need to pickup another can of starter fluid.

Thanks to all for the help and assist, this one's a bit of pita to track down.

Bob

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
54 Posts
I'll set the original one aside and save for possible later use, it's a Holley 1BBL
I see there’s a company that you can send your Holley to as a core and for $100.00 they’ll send you a rebuilt Holley......🤔

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I see there’s a company that you can send your Holley to as a core and for $100.00 they’ll send you a rebuilt Holley......🤔
Please PM me their contact info.

Thanks.
Bob

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
OK, problem sol-ved (best Inspector Clouseau imitation).....:)

I went ahead and put the non-vacuum fuel pump back in and while I was there I decided to check the fuel filter and VIOLA !!! It was crudded up with a bunch of residue.

I think using non-ethanol unleaded cleaned some crap and residue off the walls of the fuel tank and lines. It was pretty well plugged up and explains why the problem was kind of intermittent then steadily got worse over time until it was finally clogged to the point that not enough fuel could get through.

Now it has two fuel filters, one on the input and one on the outlet lines. They're also kinda see-through so hopefully we'll be able to see any buildup.

The good thing is the fuel pump installed now should have very little of the crud in it.

Still need to do final adjustments, probably this weekend.

Bob

Pics of the old filter:

·
Super Moderator
14,409 Posts
That crude came from somewhere.
Usually the crude comes from the fuel tank.
You might look there for issues.

Action

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I'm sure the crud (crudd :)) came out of the fuel tank. The car sat from about 2008 to late 2017 when I dug it out and had it towed to a local shop to get it running again. This was a few months before we moved from Arizona to Georgia in early 2018. While it sat the fuel in the tank dried out and rather than just replace it they boiled it (their word) to clean the residue out.

It's been driven regularly since that time. It was only recently that we started using non-ethanol in it, though I doubt the buildup in the filter happened only in the past few months, but it is possible I suppose. Most likely it's been happening since they cleaned the tank when it came back from the dead. This problem started about 3 months ago, was intermittent for a few months and finally the blockage was enough to starve the engine for fuel.

We'll keep an eye on the filters, especially the inlet, and try to check them at least every two/three months - it only gets driven on non-rainy weekends, which are not that often here in the deep south.

We also have to track down a loud exhaust noise. It sounds like an old tractor when she's running and the noise is definitely coming from the exhaust manifold area. Hopefully it's just the donut seal where the pipe connects to the exhaust manifold. That will be for a new thread.

Thanks and Happy Motoring!!

Bob

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Ok, I’ll see if I can find it again..👍
Good news on solving the problem...😎
Thanks, If you have it handy. I can do some searching also. That would be a good deal. When I did a quick search about a month ago new Holley's were listed around $500.

Bob.

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
54 Posts
Thanks, If you have it handy. I can do some searching also. That would be a good deal. When I did a quick search about a month ago new Holley's were listed around $500.

Bob.
Yes, I found it accidentally while searching for carbs for mine. But I have to first confirm whether or not I have a Holley, Autolite or other on mine. I tried finding it again last night and I’ll look for it some more...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Glad you found the issue. Being a cheapskate, I always check the inexpensive stuff first. The previous owner of my car told me he tried cleaning the gas tank. "Tried" made me wonder, so I picked up a couple fuel filters for the 300 mile drive home. Sure enough, I was by the side of the road changing the filter halfway there. Here's what the inside of the tank looked like vs. the new one I installed:

·
Super Moderator
14,409 Posts
Once the floating stuff is removed, there still may be debris clinging to the tank sides. After some time this gets loosened up and gets sucked up. Doesn't burn very good.
Some of that stuff can grow. At that point if a reproduction tank is available, getting one is a good move.

Action

Reactions: Bob2

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
A new gas tank is a good idea. The fuel sender is working well, just need a new seal for it.

It would definitely avoid playing Russian Roulette with fuel filters.

Thanks.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts