Ford Automobiles banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
54 Posts
A new gas tank is a good idea. The fuel sender is working well, just need a new seal for it.

It would definitely avoid playing Russian Roulette with fuel filters.

Thanks.
They are remarkably inexpensive too, at least it seems to me. Btw, I searched for 30 minutes again today for that Holley rebuilt exchange and still can’t find it. Wish I had sent it to myself. Anyway I’ll keep looking.
Oh, and now that you’ve done some carb work, can you tell me how to determine which carb I have?? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Hi,

Thanks for looking. I'll see what I can find also. They may have stopped listing due to costs/Covid/etc.

Here's a couple pics of the Holley I removed. The fuel bowl has Holley clearly stamped and turning it over are a bunch of standard copyright numbers, etc. On the side of it is a stamped number (circled in Red in the pic). I Googled "Holley 12R-2792" and came up with several hits for a Holley 1bbl.

When I was a kid there was always a metal triangle stamped with codes attached to one of the top bowl screws, the parts stores would always ask for the code/numbers on the tag when asking for kits/parts/etc. I did not find a tag on this carb. It was always something to remember to put back on when rebuilding.

The Chinese carb I bought on ebay is on the car now at my son's house. I don't have any pics of it. He should come by today so we can finish tuning the carb, I'll try to see if it has anything stamped on it.

Here's a link to the ebay listing for the one I bought.

Bob

Reactions: Montecresto

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
54 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for looking. I'll see what I can find also. They may have stopped listing due to costs/Covid/etc.

Here's a couple pics of the Holley I removed. The fuel bowl has Holley clearly stamped and turning it over are a bunch of standard copyright numbers, etc. On the side of it is a stamped number (circled in Red in the pic). I Googled "Holley 12R-2792" and came up with several hits for a Holley 1bbl.

When I was a kid there was always a metal triangle stamped with codes attached to one of the top bowl screws, the parts stores would always ask for the code/numbers on the tag when asking for kits/parts/etc. I did not find a tag on this carb. It was always something to remember to put back on when rebuilding.

The Chinese carb I bought on ebay is on the car now at my son's house. I don't have any pics of it. He should come by today so we can finish tuning the carb, I'll try to see if it has anything stamped on it.

Here's a link to the ebay listing for the one I bought.

Bob

View attachment 47710

View attachment 47711
Awesome, thank you...

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Well, the "new" Chinese carb went belly up, didn't take long....
We adjusted the air-fuel to get the best high idle. Also had to adjust the accelerator rod in the engine compartment to get enough pedal travel.

Took her out for a test run. At first it was ok, but then while going at a steady speed it started bucking, the only way to get smooth operation was to always be accelerating. Anytime we cruised at a steady speed it would start bucking and jerking. Drove into a parking lot to turn around and again it bucked and jerked when moving slowly in the parking lot.

Took it back home, put the original Holley back in and readjusted the throttle arm. Took her out for another test drive - drove perfectly, no problems at all.

Now to see what luck I have getting my money back or an exchange on the Chinese carb.......

Bob

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
54 Posts
We adjusted the air-fuel to get the best high idle. Also had to adjust the accelerator rod in the engine compartment to get enough pedal travel.

Took her out for a test run. At first it was ok, but then while going at a steady speed it started bucking, the only way to get smooth operation was to always be accelerating. Anytime we cruised at a steady speed it would start bucking and jerking. Drove into a parking lot to turn around and again it bucked and jerked when moving slowly in the parking lot.

Took it back home, put the original Holley back in and readjusted the throttle arm. Took her out for another test drive - drove perfectly, no problems at all.

Now to see what luck I have getting my money back or an exchange on the Chinese carb.......

Bob
Thanks for sharing that. If I do buy a new carb, I’ll just get a Holley despite the difference in the price....👍

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
54 Posts

Bob
I confirmed that mine does have a Holly....😎

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Cool.
Also, I successfully returned the Chinese carb. They tried to delay, asking me to do this and that. Finally I just packed it up with the ebay return label and was promptly refunded. I had to let it air dry for a few days for the gas to evaporate.

Reactions: Montecresto
81 - 87 of 87 Posts