Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're doing some refurbishing, not really a restoration, just installing some new parts here and there.

Yesterday after solving the vacuum leak problem we started on our list:
  • replace wiper motor with electric
  • replace turn signal switch
  • replace door "fuzzy" seals
  • replace door rubber seals

Replace the Vacuum Wiper Motor with an electric Direct Replacement:

We started with the "direct replacement" electric wiper motor. We had already removed the old vacuum motor and found all the internal grease hardened, even the sweeper thingy was all gummed up. I tried cleaning it out but had no luck. I shopped around and found a direct bolt-in electric motor replacement and wiring harness. I also bought the shaft extender to get the switch stem far enough through the dash to connect the factory knob. Cost was just under $300 total.

My big regret here is we did not take any pictures. What we thought was going to be a quick job ended up taking all afternoon, from about 1:00-ish to after 5pm.

Removing the wiper arms, recommended in the instructions until the Park position of the motor was set, was a bit difficult, it took about 15 minutes to get both arms worked off the splines.

Now working under the dash (remember, we're scrunched in between the seat and dash, laying on out backs trying to get a good angle and point the work light so shadows aren't obstructing the view) we aligned the wiper mechanism drive slot with the one one the back of the new motor and started the mounting bolt on the passenger side. When we attempted to start the bolt on the on the driver side it just wouldn't start threading. After probably spending at least 30 minutes d!(%!&g with it we removed the passenger side bolt and started the drivers side, it went in perfectly. Now with a better view of the mounting hole alignment we saw it was off just a bit. We removed the motor and drilled out the 1/4" mounting holes using a 5/16th bit. The motor then bolted in easily.

Next we partially installed a wiper arm and manually tried to move it, it didn't move so it appeared we had the motor drive and mechanism lined up properly. Then we connected a 12vdc power supply to the leads and tested with the switch. It worked perfectly, the drive splines on the hood were going back and forth as they should.

Next obstacle was getting the old switch out and the new switch in. When removing the old switch we found there is a 2nd panel about 1" behind the front of the dash, this panel has a hole with one side of the circle with a vertical edge that aligns with the shaft on the new switch to keep it from rotating when the knob is turned. Also behind the dash and to the right (from the front) is a welded in support panel that gets in the way of the business end of the switch. Now is probably a good time to mention the back end of the switch has five wire connectors and is about 1 1/2" round. When this part of the switch butted up against the vertical panel, it caused the front shaft end of the switch to pitch over to the right, not aligning properly to allow the collar and other parts to fit. We tried using vice grips behind the dash to bend that panel over and had limited success. Next we used the trusty 5/16" drill bit to drill out the hole in the 2nd panel behind the dash. We tried to be careful, but the vertical edge was damaged a bit. We were able to get the switch installed and tightened enough to make it work.

After connecting power and ground, tie-wrapping the excess wires up under the dash and reinstalling the wiper arms we were ready for the acid test.

They work great, the sweep isn't as far as newer cars but that is limited by the mechanism behind the dash. We adjusted the arms to get as much swept area as we could and without them sticking up too far when parked.

An added benefit is the old-timey whirr-whirr-whirr sound. My son said it sounds just like in the movie "Christine."

Overall I give the direct replacement motor a good review. There was an issue with the mounting holes not lining up but that was easy enough to fix - but it did cause a lot of frustration for something that should not have been a problem. And they could have used a switch with a smaller end where everything is connected that would have made that part of the installation A LOT easier. We must have messed with that for at least an hour. Some of this is mentioned in their documentation but not really stressed as to what has to be done. "Some panel modification" (or words to that effect) is what it says.

As we move on with the other items on the list I'll add to this post.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
14,426 Posts
If you have saved the old vacuum pump some one may want that as a core

Action

Reactions: Bob2

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^^^

Good idea. Just took some pics and will post in the Ford Parts for Sale thread.

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Made some good progress over the past several weeks, now that weather is warming up. We still have lots of rain but it's mostly been during the week.

We fashioned a new manual choke cable out of one of those Dornan "Fix-it" choke cable packages and a new knob from one of the resto parts suppliers. We don't need it but the old one looked bad and it gave my engineering mind something to do. It came out very well, but as with most other things we have done, I failed to take pics.

Also replaced the broken turn signal switch in the steering column. We had to disassemble the two cover pieces behind the steering wheel to allow us to work the cables down the column. We taped the wires up and were able to easily slide them through the channel. The old female connectors on the car side of the harness had to be squeezed slightly to make a secure connection. After we got all that installed, a quick check revealed the passenger side signal still not working, bad flasher.

Due to work and other responsibilities, we weren't able to get back on it for a week. But yesterday we removed the instrument panel and replaced the flasher. The new one was a bit larger than the old one and one side of the clamp broke off when we tried to bend it out. We ended up taping the new flasher to the remaining clip and reinserting it on the back of the dash.

We put everything back together, including the speedometer cable. Tested the lights in the driveway and took it for a quick test run to make sure the speedometer worked. Put everything back together and headed off to the local car show - the first since the Covid stuff began over a year ago.

Later, before he headed home near dark, we found out the little round cardboard cover over the GEN light had slipped out of place when reinstalling things and now it appears to be on when the dash lights are turned on. A repair for next weekend.

The horns don't work. The PO had an aftermarket steering wheel on it, the horn circuitry was incomplete and the horn contact/spring thingy was broken off on the old turn signal switch. We also need to test the horns themselves and connecting wiring to see if they work and the wiring is complete. I may start a new topic on that, I haven't done any searching yet to see if there's anything posted that could help us.

Bob

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Try here for your horn contact kit Macs auto parts
They also have a horn relay
Having changed to a different steering wheel i don't know if the stock parts will

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try here for your horn contact kit Macs auto parts
They also have a horn relay
Having changed to a different steering wheel i don't know if the stock parts will
Thanks for the link.

It had an aftermarket steering wheel when we bought it. A few years ago we put on an original style wheel - in black, the only color offered - and horn ring.

We need to start at the beginning, verifying the horns work and the wiring from the steering wheel to the horns is good. I don't remember if it had a horn relay from the factory.

I have a new Horn Contact/Spring thing that goes in the turn signal switch hole.

Bob

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
It soes have a horn relay from factory
Go to Rock Auto.com
and it will show it

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
They show one and two hole mounting
I think either one will work
It's probably firewall or fender apron installed

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool. Thanks for the info.
They're talking rain here again next weekend. Could cause a delay in us getting back to work on it.
Bob

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New front bumper and mounting bolts bought on ebay. It should be in early next week. Will post pics before and after.

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,
I just realized I have many recent pictures of components under the hood, dashboard, etc - but nothing of the whole car. Next time we work on it I'll get some.
Bob

Reactions: Montecresto
1 - 14 of 14 Posts