Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,832 Posts
I am not sure that combination is available. At the time Ford used .....
13" diameter wheels n 4 lug for six cylinder engines vehicles
14" diameter wheels n 5 lug for V8 engines vehicles

Four lug 14 inch wheels would be unique. Finding them will likely be an expensive wheel and may not look like stock if that is the look you seek.

This is where Summit gets some of their wheels
Wheel Vintiques

Action

Reactions: Montecresto

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not sure that combination is available. At the time Ford used .....
13" diameter wheels n 4 lug for six cylinder engines vehicles
14" diameter wheels n 5 lug for V8 engines vehicles

Four lug 14 inch wheels would be unique. Finding them will likely be an expensive wheel and may not look like stock if that is the look you seek.

This is where Summit gets some of their wheels
Wheel Vintiques

Action
Isn’t the early Falcon a 4 on 4.5 bolt pattern?

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,832 Posts
Isn’t the early Falcon a 4 on 4.5 bolt pattern?
From 1960 to 1964 Falcon 5 rims were used
Most are 4 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern. Just not all

Prior to 11-13-1964
13" X 4 - 4 on 4 1/2 circle C0DD 1007 J Six and eight cylinder
OR
13" X 4 1/2 - 4 on 4 1/2 circle C0DZ 1007A Six and eight cylinder - wagon, convertible & sedan delivery
OR
13" X 4 1/2 - 5 on 4 1/2 circle C1UU 1007A Eight cylinder only and model years 1963 & partial 1964

After 11-13-1964
13" X 4 - 4 on 4 1/2 circle C0DD 1007 J - all Six cylinder
13" X 4 1/2 - 4 on 4 1/2 circle C0DZ 1007A - all Six cylinder with 6.50 - 13 tires

14" X 4 1/2 - 4 on 4 1/2 circle C4DZ 1007A - six cylinder
14" X 5 - 5 on 4 1/2 circle C4GY 1007B - six cylinder

You want 14" diameter rim with 4 hole on a 4 1/2 circle.
There is only one stock rim for that application. The C4DZ 1007 A for 1964 six cylinder Falcons built after 11-13-1964 to model year 1967
Most 14"rims will be 5 hole

Action

·
Registered
115 Posts
My 1963 Falcon uses 1967 non-disc Mustang 14" rims which use the 3 retainer small center for the early small "bottlecap" stainless caps But they did not fit the Scarebird disc conversion setup on my '61 - the calipers hit the rims center. My 61's disc conversion uses 14" Maverick 4Lug (four retainer 10" center) rims that fit calipers and full hubcaps but not early" bottlecap" signature hubcaps. The three retainer @ 9" center does not fit any current Disc conversion sold AFAIK.

Aftermarket wheels can be ordered to fit almost any configuration and may allow offset changes for slightly larger modern tire widths.

13, 14S, 14L OEM's

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 1963 Falcon uses 1967 non-disc Mustang 14" rims which use the 3 retainer small center for the early small "bottlecap" stainless caps But they did not fit the Scarebird disc conversion setup on my '61 - the calipers hit the rims center. My 61's disc conversion uses 14" Maverick 4Lug (four retainer 10" center) rims that fit calipers and full hubcaps but not early" bottlecap" signature hubcaps. The three retainer @ 9" center does not fit any current Disc conversion sold AFAIK.

Aftermarket wheels can be ordered to fit almost any configuration and may allow offset changes for slightly larger modern tire widths.

13, 14S, 14L OEM's

Yep, that’s what I’m doing, the disk brake conversion kit. My 13’s only have an 1/8” clearance from the caliper, and that’s just setting the disk with caliper on it into the spare from the trunk…🤔

My mechanic friend that will be doing the work in his shop (with me helping) says we can grind up to an 1/8” off the outer edge of the caliper if we need to…

So he says we’ll put the car on the lift and pull one side off and give it a go and see if we can make it work with the OEM 13’s…..

Ive found a couple options on eBay of 14” steel wheels 4 on 4.5, but I need to know what the backspace (offset) is I guess before I purchase, if I end up needing to….???

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Ford used 14" 4 on 4.5" bolt pattern wheels on six powered Mustang and Mavricks Mustang 2 and the fox body platform so you should be able to find 13,14 and 15" factory wheels and 14 and up aftermarket. The fox platform had a metric wheel also, good luck finding tires.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Providing the Mags' are actually 4 X 4.5" bolt pattern , they will bolt- on and fit the hubs. Not possible to tell for sure from pic. AFAIK - only Corvair had same Falcon 4 lug bolt pattern, not Nova. The wheels in the one pic may be off a little from Falcon specifications.

The 5.5" width is narrow for any modern wide tires but typical of earlier wheels. Offset / Backspace is also critical dimension for tire clearances. I have a pair of similar mags and the slightly less backspace moved out tires slightly, good on front but clearance issue on rear.

the '61
. .

Nissan 4 lug is same pattern but 'modern' Disc brake car wheels typically have way too much backspacing to fit 'Early' drum brake cars.

'61 Comet - '91 Nissan wheel hit springs
Nissan wheel :
. .

have fun

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I got the disc brake conversion done on the front and with a minimum amount of grinding on the outside of the calipers I was able to stay with the stock 13” wheels….👍

Also got the new gas tank, sending unit and filter installed. Still having trouble with the power booster/master cylinder….the ones that came with the disc kit do not fit. The shock tower brace is simply in the way. And, the master cylinder in the kit is a single stage, so I wouldn’t use it anyway…..🙄

For safety I want a two stage so one axle still has brakes if there’s a problem….looks like the Geo Tracker (without the power booster) will bolt on and work….trying it next.

Then all the brake lines will be replaced, and rear wheel brake cylinders….
Automotive tire Tread Aircraft Motor vehicle Tire

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,832 Posts
Wow, disc brakes with 4 lug hubs that will accept 13" rims. That is pretty awesome!
Stab the brake pedal and you might fly through the windshield.
If you have the six in there, what about no power boost and just manual brakes?

Would be very interested in how the system performs on the road when it is back together,

How old are those coil springs?

Action

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Wow, disc brakes with 4 lug hubs that will accept 13" rims. That is pretty awesome!
Stab the brake pedal and you might fly through the windshield.
If you have the six in there, what about no power boost and just manual brakes?

Would be very interested in how the system performs on the road when it is back together,

How old are those coil springs?

Action
Yes, sorry I thought I said that. But apparently wasn’t clear…

We had an old Suzuki Sidekick setting out back and we took the power booster and master cylinder off of it. The power booster isn’t going to fit due to the shock tower brace, so we’re going to just bolt the two stage master cylinder on but will have to modify the push rods length. We found an adjustable one. So we think this will work….🤞

As to the coil springs, I imagine they are original….🤔
Why, if they are do you think they should be replaced?

I will definitely post what it’s like once it’s back on the road…..👍

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,832 Posts
Sixty year old springs usually are well past their prime.
The vehicle ride height may not have dropped that much. And original springs have lost their original springiness.

Action

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So we got the master cylinder issue ironed out. Found that the dual reservoir master cylinder (less the power booster) off of a 1992 Suzuki Sidekick bolts right on the 1962 Falcon only requiring a modification to the length of the plunger rod… both rear brake wheel cylinders were replaced and all the brake lines are new. Started it up and attempted a test run and didn’t make it out the gate. It’s now not getting fuel. We have traced the problem to the fuel pump and will get that replaced this weekend….

Can’t wait to get it on the road to see how the new braking system operates…..

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,832 Posts
Some one somewhere down the road replacing parts may get confused as to what to order.

Wonder what the weight difference is between the Falcon and the Sidekick

Action

1 - 20 of 42 Posts