Ford Automobiles banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Some one somewhere down the road replacing parts may get confused as to what to order.

Wonder what the weight difference is between the Falcon and the Sidekick

Action
The two are about the same in weight.
My friend that’s doing most of the work on my Falcon had an old 1992 Sidekick setting in his yard and we pulled it to give it a try. I didn’t like the single reservoir MC that came with the disc brake conversion kit, because as mentioned earlier in the thread I want a dual reservoir for safety reasons….

·
Registered
Lonsdale, AR 72087
310 Posts
wow i once thought about theconversion but cash-flow was the deciding factor.
looks good with the disc breaks.
also thought about the rims and i had found that summit has steel wheels that will fit.

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
wow i once thought about theconversion but cash-flow was the deciding factor.
looks good with the disc breaks.
also thought about the rims and i had found that summit has steel wheels that will fit.
Yeah, it was a little pricy but it’s a weekend driver and I want dependable brakes. The rims issue became a moot point as I was able to modify the calipers slightly and retain the stock 13” wheels….👍

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So that project is complete, I have a completely new braking system front and back and it stops on a dime!!! Very happy with this modification……👍

Had to replace the fuel pump while I was at it as it quite running when we headed out for a test spin….🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Major fire threatening my New Mexico property and my Falcon is out there. 180 homes burnt and evacuations around. Driving all night to get there….hoping to get the Falcon out of harms way….🤞

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,832 Posts
Yikes

Action

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Moved my Falcon 50 miles east to a safe spot along with other equipment and vehicles. Falcon has been in an enclosed trailer. Headed back today to survey fire damage on my property. Home and outbuildings survived but parts of the 140 acres burned…

I will be returning the Falcon this weekend and taking it for a spin to test out the new disc brake conversion….👍

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,832 Posts
Wow did not know that anyone here was close to wildfires

Action

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,832 Posts
I have a memory like a gnat.

Action

Reactions: Montecresto

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
So the brake work is totally complete now. Braking power is smoother and stronger. And I have the peace of mind that in the event of a failure, I always have one axle braking.
The rear brake cylinders have been replaced and all brake lines have been replaced, new shoes all the way around.
The stock master cylinder has been replaced using a salvage MC from a 1992 Suzuki Sidekick. New proportioning valve as well. The only modification that had to be made to adapt the MS from the Sidekick was the plunger rod to the brake pedal had to be made longer., otherwise it bolted right up and functions well…..

This enabled the updated system for safety and got me around the issue of the shock tower brace which was in the way of all other options that I considered….

Wood Gas Auto part Engineering Machine
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Automotive design Gas
Hood Vehicle Car Fixture Automotive exterior

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,832 Posts
The upper ball joint in the first pic might need to be retired.

Action

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,832 Posts
LOL.

My rides are much worse.
Action

·
Registered
Lonsdale, AR 72087
310 Posts
when i replaced all of my upper and lower ball joints and upper/lower arms it turns and rides a lot better but i hear a lot of squeeking like i need more grease or something... so when you do get started on that greas the heck out of it. more the better.

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
@Action, I may need to fix or replace the fuel and temperature gauges on this Falcon. We replaced the fuel tank and sending unit. I had a very spongy gas gauge before that, and nothing now. So he’s going back to see what happened there. And he’ll replace the sending unit for temperature first. But if it turns out to be gauge/gauges, is their a source for those….?

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,832 Posts
Ebay unless you want to step up to the big bucks and go electronic.

Many times non- working gauges are poor grounding or a bad IVR. (Instrument Voltage Regulator)

Action

21 - 40 of 42 Posts