Ford Automobiles banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If the water pump and radiator are new, I would not replace those until confirmed that those have issues.

That is money that can be spent some where else. And there is always something that needs attention.Pre-1980s vehicles are maintenance pigs. Always need some type of maintenance, until neglected. Then it needs repairs.

Action
Well, the seller “says” the radiator and water pump are new. I’ll be confirming this when I see it this weekend. There is some value to knowing that everything relevant to the cooling system is new. Thank you again. 👍

·
Registered
65 Posts
My dad owned a Radiator shop for about 40 year's,he just retired and sold the business about 2 year's ago, the radiator was probably put in a vat and boiled out as the industry term goes and then pressure flushed with air and water,but the problem with that is you really don't get all of the mineral deposits broken loose with just a "boil out and a flush,saw dad take the top tank cover off and rod the flus or tube's in the radiator,that is not commonly done as any radiator is is just replaced now a days, worked very well as long as the radiator core was not rotten or falling apart, that is an option to have done but it is rather pricey,and finding a reputable shop to do it now days is like finding hen's teeth,just my 2 cent's as the son of a radiator shop owner,man I miss those days hanging out at the shop 😁👍

·
Super Moderator
14,409 Posts
Because of the chemicals used in radiator shops, many shops have had to comply with stricter enviromental laws or close up. Many closed. The ones that are open usually do a good volume of business. The other way to handle an old radiator is save the tanks and replace the core.

Action

Reactions: Cacstang

·
Registered
65 Posts
Action you are correct, Dad built probably a hundred or more 30's -late 70's classic car radiators, the only problem with that now is the only place that build's the cores is Detroit radiator,the past couple years they only built older core's by order only,took a couple weeks to get the core, Dad had people coming from TN,VA, SC,and GA to have radiators built/restored, he used to have an ad in Hemmings motor news,enven had a few over the years shipped to him from up North,Maine and Connecticut.

·
Super Moderator
14,409 Posts
The Mark III in my signature is in Michigan near Ann Arbor.
The radiator leaked a year or two after i got it.
Found a shop on the West side of Ann Arbor that would re-core.
From memory it only took them a day or two.

Action

Reactions: Cacstang

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My dad owned a Radiator shop for about 40 year's,he just retired and sold the business about 2 year's ago, the radiator was probably put in a vat and boiled out as the industry term goes and then pressure flushed with air and water,but the problem with that is you really don't get all of the mineral deposits broken loose with just a "boil out and a flush,saw dad take the top tank cover off and rod the flus or tube's in the radiator,that is not commonly done as any radiator is is just replaced now a days, worked very well as long as the radiator core was not rotten or falling apart, that is an option to have done but it is rather pricey,and finding a reputable shop to do it now days is like finding hen's teeth,just my 2 cent's as the son of a radiator shop owner,man I miss those days hanging out at the shop 😁👍
Thanks for the info. I believe that after I do the engine flush, thermostat, radiator hoses, water pump, engine steam clean etc...., I’ll just replace the radiator if I’m not satisfied with the temperature it’s running. 👍

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
67 Posts
Sorry, a little late to the party here....

For factory original or repro parts check Dennis Carpenter and Falcon Parts.

We recently put in a new steering wheel, unfortunately they only sell Black and we have a Red interior...... They also have the horn ring, etc. Looks really good except for the color match.

We also picked up new furflex (that trim that goes around the insides of the doors) and new rubber door seals. I tried to door rubber door seals on the 63 1/2 Sprint I had circa 2004-2009. It didn't work out too well.

Bob

Reactions: Montecresto

·
Registered
65 Posts
@Bob2 , I buy a lot of stuff from Dennis Carpenter, top quality reproduction parts, In my opinion they sell the best rubber parts on the market for classic Ford's and Mercury's, of course it helps that I only live about an hour away from his facility and Charlotte motor speedway, his son has a nice facility beside Dennis place ,he manufactures Classic mustang and fox body mustang part's, the quality of Carpenter's products drive his business, every time I have been there before the covid pandemic,the showroom is always full of customers!

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
67 Posts
Thanks for the info. I believe that after I do the engine flush, thermostat, radiator hoses, water pump, engine steam clean etc...., I’ll just replace the radiator if I’m not satisfied with the temperature it’s running. 👍
Watch out for aftermarket radiators.

We put one in ours that we got off ebay many years ago. It fits side-to-side but is thicker than the factory, there's only about 1/2" clearance between the fan blade and radiator fins. It's a major pita to remove with it being that close. Have to loosen all the bolts and remove it as an assembly.

After we put in the ebay radiator, I took the original factory radiator to a shop and they re-cored and pressure tested it. I have it sitting in the garage for when we need to replace it.

Also, if it has the 2-blade cooling fan, look to replace it with a 4-blade. You'll get extra air movement that will keep it cool. Most of them came with 2-blade fans. Ours heats up until the t-stat opens = about the 1/4 mark - and doesn't get any hotter.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
67 Posts
Add Dearborn Classics to the list.

·
Super Moderator
14,409 Posts
To add to the radiator experience, I ordered a new one for my Mark III. It was about 1/4" too wide. It would not fit the radiation core support. Did the same thing and had the original one re-cored. It been about 5 years and that new one is sitting in it's shipping box.

I do have good on line radiator experiences as well. That one did not work out as purchased.

Action

·
Registered
65 Posts
To add to the ecklers saga,,it was said at one time they had purchased Dennis Carpenter,not true, I think his son Daniel over See's the company now, Daniel makes a plethora of classic and fox body mustang part's, he is whole sale only, which kinda bite's as he is right next door to his Father's place, could get part's for the mustang and Falcon in one trip!

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Sorry, a little late to the party here....

For factory original or repro parts check Dennis Carpenter and Falcon Parts.

We recently put in a new steering wheel, unfortunately they only sell Black and we have a Red interior...... They also have the horn ring, etc. Looks really good except for the color match.

We also picked up new furflex (that trim that goes around the insides of the doors) and new rubber door seals. I tried to door rubber door seals on the 63 1/2 Sprint I had circa 2004-2009. It didn't work out too well.

Bob
Might you have a link to Falcon Parts and Dennis Carpenter? Thanks

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Watch out for aftermarket radiators.

We put one in ours that we got off ebay many years ago. It fits side-to-side but is thicker than the factory, there's only about 1/2" clearance between the fan blade and radiator fins. It's a major pita to remove with it being that close. Have to loosen all the bolts and remove it as an assembly.

After we put in the ebay radiator, I took the original factory radiator to a shop and they re-cored and pressure tested it. I have it sitting in the garage for when we need to replace it.

Also, if it has the 2-blade cooling fan, look to replace it with a 4-blade. You'll get extra air movement that will keep it cool. Most of them came with 2-blade fans. Ours heats up until the t-stat opens = about the 1/4 mark - and doesn't get any hotter.

Bob
Those after market radiators are more cores, for better cooling. Makes sense they’d be thicker. I wonder if a shallower pulley could be used....🤔

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Did a bunch of maintenance to the Falcon. Changed transmission filter and fluid, engine oil and filter, radiator hoses, and a couple other minor things. In the process I found that the gas tank (or filler hose is leaking. Leak is definitely on the top) and discovered a leak in the radiator so I ordered both....

The stock radiator has 1-1/4” inlet and outlet, the replacement has 1-1/2” inlet and 1-3/4” outlet so I am ordering new (again....🙄) radiator hoses that are 1-1/4” on one end and 1-1/2” and 1-3/4” on the other ends.

F1C82574-E549-466F-90D1-E57747817CD8.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1962 Falcon Sport Futura
67 Posts
Who's garage is that?
Very, very nice!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts