Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. Need a decoding guru. I am looking for info for an engine code. It is GJ
The car is a factory RHD built in Oakville Ontario, 4 door hardtop with a big block in it but I cannot find any information whatsoever on that engine code which is stamped on the plate.

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

What engine do you have?
The engine code is also in the 11 digit serial number. I believe it is the fifth position.

From that era the specific engine data was on a metal tag (for V-8 engines) typically on a bolt for the coil. Are you looking for the engine size or detailed data on the engine.

Action

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has a 390 in it and is supposedly the original engine but the engine code doesn’t reflect this. I am wondering if it might have been a 406 or even a 406 tri-powe which would make this car even more rare than it is already.

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts
There is no code stamped into the engine block or heads. At least for US versions and I am sure Canadian versions were the same.

The FE V-8 block was used for a variety of displacements. (352, 390, 406) So numbers cast into the block would have been the same for all displacements. It was not until the block was machined that the displacement was determined. Then a metal tag similar to the attachment.

With that stated the serial number for your vehicle does not fit the US format. Finding a 1962 Canadian Ford shop manual may be needed to make the decipher.

Action

enginetag-diagram.png

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts
From a quick internet search, I can de-code Canadian trucks from 1962 to 1964. (Trucks only had a 262 & 292 V-8) Or Canadian vehicles from the 1930s to 1953.

Here is a 1962 Thunderbird shop manual Canadian version

Action

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts
US Ford engine codes were single digit using a letter
X = 352 2v
Z = 390 4V
P = 390 4v solid lifter Police application
T = low compression export 292
R = low compression export 390

Action

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw all the same discussions online but nothing on that GC code. The Thunderbird manual is sold out online.

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts
I think you are going need to get a Canadian shop manual

Action

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I saw that list that you posted but I believe that is for US cars but I do see the G code and this is why I am thinking that it might be an original 406 tri-power car

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This car is a factory RHD Galaxie which would have been a special order more than likely for an ambassador or VP. Therefore it could have been ordered with any of the available engines and a 406 tri-power was an option. Rare but it was available

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My apologies. I don’t know what happened there and it was also written incorrectly in the introduction post. GJ is what I need info on. Really sorry. I did post the actual plate though with the GJ

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts
This car is a factory RHD Galaxie which would have been a special order more than likely for an ambassador or VP. Therefore it could have been ordered with any of the available engines and a 406 tri-power was an option. Rare but it was available
I would not get your hopes up too much on the 406.
The 406 was available in model years 1962 & 1963. Late in model year 1963 it was replaced with 427. Both were made as a NASCAR answer to Chevrolet's 409. To be eligible in NASCAR the engine would have needed to be made in a production car.

NASCAR did not race in Canada
We do not have vehicle data for 1962 (your vehicle)
We do have code data for Ford Canadian 1963 & 1964 models. Neither the 406 or 427 are listed as being available in Canada for model year 1963 or 1964
In 1962 US built full sized Ford & Mercury models had two versions of the 406. A 4V and 6V version
In 1963 US built full sized Ford & Mercury models had both the 406 and the 427 depending on early or late build models
In 1964 US built full sized Ford & Mercury models had a 427 as the largest displacement production engine available.

Action

·
Super Moderator
13,486 Posts
My apologies. I don’t know what happened there and it was also written incorrectly in the introduction post. GJ is what I need info on. Really sorry. I did post the actual plate though with the GJ
For 1963 a GJ is a 352 2v with a manual transmission
Unknown for 1962. And very likely it was the same in 1962 as was 1963.

Action

1 - 20 of 49 Posts