Ford Automobiles banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,510 Posts
US full sized Ford with 406 would have had larger front drums for brakes. (Non-power) Three inch wide shoes versus 2 1/2.
Manual transmission - with different ratios than a non-406 manual transmission
A 3 inch in diameter drive shaft
Bigger shocks and springs on all 4 corners
15" diameter wheels instead of 14" for all other full sized model
A larger radiator

Action

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This is a car that I have an opportunity to purchase but I have not had a chance to scrutinize the car properly. I do know that it has Manila brakes and a 3 speed tranny but have to take a better view of it at another time.

·
Super Moderator
13,510 Posts
Based on the warranty plate shown:
1WW color code was Corinthian White, one solid color (If it was a tutone paint the first number would be 2)

Serial number -
First six is the consecutive unit number off of the assembly line
The next four are Make/engine cylinder and body type
475A = 4 is a V-8 Galaxie. 75A is four door hard top

62R was 1962 model year right hand drive. Both right hand and left hand drive were built.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yes I was able to decipher all of that it it is just the engine code that is stumping me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have to agree with Action, don't think this would have been a 406 4v or 406 6v, would most likely been the 352 2v engine, even if it was a special order DSO order, don't think government in any country would have sprung the extra money for a 406 4v or 406 6v for government use, just my 2 cent's though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi. According to the current owner it has the original engine in it and it is a 390 but since it is none of the engine codes posted anywhere online as far as anyone has seen I was curious to what it might have been. As for governments spending money, the car is in Trinidad in the Caribbean and we are stinking rich in oil and the government spends money like crazy, always has and probably always will. It could have been a rich individual that just wanted to stand out. We have a lot of people like that here.

·
Super Moderator
13,510 Posts
Some one has spent money on it. Observations

A US version would have ... (The Canadian version would likely have been similar)
The inner fenders, hood hinges were originally semi-gloss black for all units. These were painted in a separate area from the car bodies.
The hood hinge springs were unpainted as they flexed and eventually the paint would come off.
And lots of over spray from the color change
All pre-1964 Ford and Mercurys would have had a generators and this one has an alternator
The upper radiator hose looks like NOS or reproduction but the clamps were never used until the 80s on Police cars
The coolant over flow hose is usually routed strait down between the block and
Negative cable should be black and attached on the block not the intake.
Battery cable ends are temporary
Pre-1966 engines were painted black with colored valve covers and air cleaner. A chrome kit would be available.
The chromed air cleaner looks like it is from a later FE engine. May be the '65 to '67 time period. The valve covers are correct.
Missing the rubber inner fender splash shield. And almost 60 years later would be typical.

Action

·
Super Moderator
13,510 Posts
Here is a listing of 1962 Canadian built vehicle data codes

Similar to the 1963 vehicle data except the GJ engine option is missing
All engine codes that start with "C" are 223 displacements
All engine codes that start with "G" are 352 displacements
All engine codes that start with "J" are 390 displacements

The 352 and the 390 are nearly identical from the exterior

In 1962 if one wanted any full sized Ford delivered to the Caribbean and money was no object, it would seem easier to buy from a Miami dealer an import than a Canadian dealer. (Except right hand drive if that is required) However if one wanted a 406 engine in a 1962 model year Ford or Mercury it had to come from the US market. And it would only have been left hand drive. The 406 engine was made in limited numbers for only one reason. That reason was not for retail sales. That reason needed retail sales. So Ford offered that engine to meet the NASCAR requirement that it was a "stock" engine offered for sale to the public. And NASCAR is a uniquely US thing. There was a saying that a win on Sunday resulted in sales on Monday.

Action

·
Super Moderator
13,510 Posts
And if money was no object why wasn't a Lincoln imported?
It had a 430 engine.

Action

Reactions: Cacstang

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The original owner is not known at this time. Trinidad has a Ford dealership and Galaxies were being imported. We have 1966 Galaxie 500 convertibles here. One was special ordered for a visit from the Queen. We drive on the left side as we were governed by England at the time so RHD was mandatory. My thinking that it could be a 406 is just because I know that it was available in the 62 Galaxies and because I can’t find any info on the GJ Engine code. For all I know it could be a typo on the plate. It is an original 390 according to the past and present owners of the car but so much information has been lost over the last 58 years. Just really want to know what that GJ code is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I tried Ford of Canada but their records don’t go back to 62. They referred me to Marti Auto but their info doesn’t go before 67 so I am hoping that someone out here may have come across it before and can shed some light

·
Super Moderator
13,510 Posts
Kevin Marti's store is a 15 minute drive from my home.
No records exist prior to 1967 because of a fire that Ford had in a records storage area.
There is a window of records that are missing from US built vehicles. 1962 would be in that window.
After that fire Ford decided to sell older vehicle sales records. Kevin Marti bought them, organized the data and sells records and reproductions of data.

Does the vehicle have single or dual exhaust?

Action

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
i notice that the fuel line does not go to the left front of the carb where it would be for an autolite

·
Super Moderator
13,510 Posts
The GJ engine code for 1963 Canadian vehicles was only for Monterey or Mercury. A 352 2V 4 speed manual transmission.
In a Ford the same engine transmission combination would have been a GH engine code.

From the 1962 data the GJ engine code is not published.
The differences are engine size, carb, transmission type and in some cases exhaust
And certain engine codes are only used for Ford or for Mercury
GA & CA are Ford engine codes only
GD & GH are Mercury engine codes only
And in those cases the engine sizes are the same. The OD feature is a distinction

1961 data - This model year engine codes does not fit the format of two letters

Action

21 - 40 of 49 Posts