Ford Automobiles banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,510 Posts
So I am kind of up a tree for finding out what it is at this point of time.
As to the engine code of GJ, I believe your assessment above is correct if you are looking for beyond a shadow of a doubt confirmation. As there is not a published engine code of GJ for a 1962 model year full sized Ford made for the Canadian market.

Recap for full sized Ford Mercury built for the Canadian market in Canada
Model year 1961 has a different format for engine codes (letter number)
Model year 1962 has the correct format (letter letter) however GJ is not published
Model year 1963 has a published engine code of GJ, however not for full sized Ford. Only full sized Mercury.
Model year 1964 has the correct format (letter letter) however GJ is not published. Similar to the 1962 model year,

What was built originally is cloudy
It is a FE V-8
Could be a 352 or a 390
It is definately not a 406

Action

Reactions: Cacstang

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
But a 406 four barrel and tri-power were available in a Galaxie for a short time in 62. I know it is a stretch but who knows. Since nobody can definitively say what the GJ engine code is for a 62 factory RHD Galaxie 500. Who’s to say what it might really be. We can only dream that I could hit the lottery with this car.

·
Super Moderator
13,510 Posts
A 406 was available in both full sized Ford and Mercury for model year 1962. However only US built vehicles could be ordered with that engine option. No Canadian vehicles built for the Canadian market and no US vehicles built for export would have this option. The 406/427 engine option was made available to satisfy a NASCAR requirement. And is a different block in internal casting than the 332/352/390.

Clearly the Galaxie data you have posted was not built for the US market. The only way that Galaxie has or had a 406 engine was because it was installed after the vehicle left the assembly line. In addition to the 406 engine required a host of other parts that were included when that engine option was selected. If you want to take it further, a 406 will have cross bolted mains with solid lifters. Removing the valve cover would show adjustable or non-adjustable rocker arms. The lower skirt of the block will show bolt heads. A 406 usually has a oil pressure relief valve at rear of the block

I am not even convinced the current engine is a 390. The difference between a 390 and a 352 is the stroke. Both blocks in the US market will have a casting number of C1AE - G. As the block used for both engines is the same. One would have to measure the stroke to ID the engine.

The only way of differentiating between them, since there are no external markings to tell you what you've got, is to measure the stroke. Rotate the crankshaft around until the #1 cylinder is at TDC (top dead center) as indicated at the timing mark. Remove the spark plug and insert a wooden dowel into the cylinder until you hit the top of the piston and make a mark on the dowel. (Use the valve cover lip as a constant reference source.) Then remove the spark plug from the #4 cylinder (when #1 is TDC, #4 is BDC) and make another mark on the dowel. Then measure the difference.

Action

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
This vehicle is in Trinidad and Tobago. In the Caribbean. It is a RHD therefore definitely not for the US market.
The car is not mine. I have an opportunity to purchase it if I want to. Just wanted to learn more about it before I invest in it.

·
Super Moderator
13,510 Posts
You have stated this before

Action

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
do you want to know if the engine in it is a 406, or that it could have been built with the no longer there 406?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Hi. I really want to find out what the GJ engine code is for this car. There is nothing online to confirm what it is. It is a Canadian built export car. Right Hand Drive

41 - 49 of 49 Posts