Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can get a console for a 64? My car had a 63 console in it and I'd like to be correct. Can only find the pad not the assembly. If anyone knows where I can find one I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I might just go without and make some covers to hide the seat frames.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
310 Posts
Factory Consoles for '64 and '65 are rare; maybe extremely rare. OTOH, the 1963 consoles are pretty common.
I attend a number of Carlisle events and i spend 4 days at Fall Hershey every year and I haven't seen a '64/'65 console in any condition for several years.
I haven't seen anything after-market that looks good, in my opinion. The correct '64/'65 console just looks like it belongs there.
How good are your fabrication skills?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Factory Consoles for '64 and '65 are rare; maybe extremely rare. OTOH, the 1963 consoles are pretty common.
I attend a number of Carlisle events and i spend 4 days at Fall Hershey every year and I haven't seen a '64/'65 console in any condition for several years.
I haven't seen anything after-market that looks good, in my opinion. The correct '64/'65 console just looks like it belongs there.
How good are your fabrication skills?
My fab skills are pretty good and have a CNC shop at work (until I retire in 18 months) however it's a balance of how bad do I need the console as opposed to some other needs with the car. I'd still need a console to model the new construct from.

I just built a new garage and put in a lift so I have a list of things I need to do under the car.

I might make it out to Carlisle this year if there's not another covid-19 variant that scares everyone away. It's only a couple hrs from me.

Steve

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's one:

View attachment 50210
Thanks for checking, unfortunately he has a no shipping statement but 250 firm. So I guess he only wants to sell it locally in California.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,275 Posts
There is used one listed on Ebay for $1500 plus shipping
One sold for $1200 and another for $900 plus shipping last month. Both look far better than the $1500 one currently listed.
It appears the lid is being reproduced as there are a number of those listed on Ebay.

Action

·
Registered
310 Posts
My fab skills are pretty good and have a CNC shop at work (until I retire in 18 months) however it's a balance of how bad do I need the console as opposed to some other needs with the car. I'd still need a console to model the new construct from.

I just built a new garage and put in a lift so I have a list of things I need to do under the car.

I might make it out to Carlisle this year if there's not another covid-19 variant that scares everyone away. It's only a couple hrs from me.

Steve
Congrats on the lift. I have one, too. No more crawling under the car.
The shape of the console looks to be pretty simple. You could probably fab that up, pretty easily. The padded and hinged top should not present too much difficulty, either. Its the bright work that looks to be tough, although with some of the new "spray chrome" paints, it might be doable .Although, maybe a good CNC shop could make the brightwork from an aluminum billet---isn't that what "everybody" does, now?
As for Carlisle, they ran all thru Covid. Pa Governor Wolfe tried to shut them down, but their lawyer played a video for the judge showing Governor Tom Wolfe not following his own mandates, and the judge agreed that the State had no case. People have been required to wear a mask to get inside the gate, but after that, personal discretion and choice rules. If there had been ANY Covid outbreak that they could have blamed on the Carlisle events, you know they would have covered that extensively.
All the Carlisle shows are good, but the Ford show would be worth the trip. They don't fill up the grounds with Ford vendors and vehicles, but EVERY vendor is selling Ford stuff, so you need to look at everything.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I think I'll wait till carlisle. I can't justify spending 1500 on something cracked and not to mention I need a red one.
Pus not sure the convertible will work as the seats and floor are different. My seats are not original they're from a 63 T Bird which I had to fabricate new frames for to lower them. The previous owner hacked up the skirts to make the 63 console fit so it hides the butcher job but not bolted in. I might spend the money on a set of Scat classic low back seats.
Thanks everyone for your feedback
Steve

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yeah I think I'll wait till carlisle. I can't justify spending 1500 on something cracked and not to mention I need a red one.
Pus not sure the convertible will work as the seats and floor are different. My seats are not original they're from a 63 T Bird which I had to fabricate new frames for to lower them. The previous owner hacked up the skirts to make the 63 console fit so it hides the butcher job but not bolted in. I might spend the money on a set of Scat classic low back seats.
Thanks everyone for your feedback
Steve
You are correct that the seats are different. Convertibles got those inner rockers to supply the strength they lost when they removed the steel top. That made the space available for seat adjusters a little narrower than in all the other models. However, it was only the seat adjusters that were different--the seat frames and the consoles were all the same. In fact the seat foam was the same as the 1962 T-Bird--if you disassemble one, you should see the Engineering numbers molded into the foam as "C2S...."
Welcome to the forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts