Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I know this is a long shot, but I thought I'd ask. Has anyone ever tried the Nu Relics power window regulators for the 65-68 cars? The reason I ask is in looking at them I noticed there is no apparent counterweight spring. I am wondering how they compensate for the heavy 2dr hardtop glass.

I just finished making a power window regulator from an original 1966 manual regulator for a 2 dr hardtop combined with parts from an inexpensive brand new power regulator from a newer Ford pickup and then compared its operation to an OEM power window regulator for the same car and same door. They both work identical. However in the trials we noticed that if the counterweight spring isn't loaded properly or missing the window will go down at the blink of an eye but take noticeably longer to rise.

Given the cost of the Nu Relics power window regulators it would be a pretty poor show if they exhibited the same behavior as an OEM regulator without the counterweight spring.

Cheers

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,055 Posts
YOU MADE a power window regulator.
OMG!

Action

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,055 Posts
I am going to venture a guess. Based on the picture, looks like they do it with a transmission.
Or gears
Looks like the window motor goes into a gear set. And it is shear force of the gearing that handles the weight of the glass

Action
Font Machine Auto part Fashion accessory Metal

· Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YOU MADE a power window regulator.
OMG!

Action
Howdy Action,

Yuppers I did. The Nu Relics just do not appeal to me. There are good points and bad points with them. I was going to make a power window regulator set for the '66 out of sheer desperation as I have the factory power window regulators for the quarters I paid a stupid amount for. I did very recently find two 65-68 passenger front door (2 dr hardtop) power regulators for 22 bucks each. I can take one apart one and make it a drivers side.

However now I had the model for the power window regulator so I thought I'd make a set off those for the '68 XL front doors. I just tried it in the '66 door.

Cheers

· Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to venture a guess. Based on the picture, looks like they do it with a transmission.
Or gears
Looks like the window motor goes into a gear set. And it is shear force of the gearing that handles the weight of the glass

Action
View attachment 52315
HI Action,

Those GM window lift motors have a tiny electrical motor and they're double gear reduced. First stage is the usual worm-spur gear, then it's a spur-spur reduction. The Ford OEM regulators use a typical worm-spur reduction only. However my interest is with the with counterweight spring, or in this case, without it. These GM window motors are for today's thin lighter weight glass that is secured in sides of felt channels. I am just curious how they handle low friction rollers/track with a thick heavy glass with a metal frame.

What's interesting from a motor design point of view, the Ford full size window motors, even the old ones are just permanent magnet motors and not terribly strong. The mid 60's T-Birds use a series motor which I would assume has more torque. The older GM motors of the mid 60's to mid 70's are series motors and torque monsters. The factory power window harness uses a 10 gauge wire for the feed and 12 gauge to the motors. They will snap a finger or even a wrist if it's in the way. I like that. :p The power windows in my '73 Chevrolet full size are over the top in overkill. I was looking into the older T-Bird window series motors but crikey are they expensive (350-400 dollars a piece) compared to the full size and later Ford motors.

Cheers

· Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you document the regulator build? I'm curious as to how a manual window regulator could be modified to be use for power windows.
Hello 70XL,

I haven't yet, the first franken regulator prototype was a "see how much of a pain in the butt it would be".... and it was. In a nut shell I used parts from a cheap brand new power window regulator for a Ford F series 1980's/90's pickup and then took apart the manual winder regulator from the 65-68 front 2 dr hardtop models and used parts off that plus additional hardware parts I needed from McMaster to put it all back together. There's loads of welding involved plus some lathe work, but it works and bolts into the same place a factory power regulator for the 65-68 front 2dr hardtops and still uses the original style Ford window lift motor.

Now the rear quarter window regulators I just do not know because it appears 65-67 2dr hardtops use one style of regulator and 68-70 use another and they look drastically different. Since I have the rear quarter power regulators for the '66 all I need to do is figure out the '68 ones and try to make something similar to the front door regulators that are piecemeal together from a big pile of regulators sitting on the floor currently. I can't wait to finish these power window regulators so I can toss all these old manual winders and get rid of this unneeded stuff cluttering up my work area :)

I'll post the whole process when I start on the second front door regulator and rear '68 quarter window regulators.

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts