Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to troubleshoot the console set of Galaxie console window switches. The front driver works fine up & down. The pass front was intermittent but now only goes up. The 2 back were not connected to console so they are unconnected. I changed the front pass connection to both rear switches and both only go down. I am wondering if it's to do with the wiring that they only work in 1 direction. I could see where the front pass switch might have just wore out...but the back 2 feel pretty tight. Any one with specific knowledge on testing the switches (where to connect the multimeter for voltage or continuity)--your advice would be appreciated. Of course if someone had a working switch that would solve everything...one thing I did notice was the front driver that works all the time has 4 wires and rest have 3. The 4 wires are from a different lead 2 reds 2 yellows--so guessing was replaced. Wiring diagrams show should be 3 wires---black, yellow (up) red (down).

·
Super Moderator
13,295 Posts
The issue IS the switch or switches
The circuit works by sending power in one way and grounding the other wire out
To reverse the window motor the power is sent in the other direction and the other wire is the ground.

IF the window works in one direction, the motor and wiring work. The switch is not making the other side work.
I have attached a wiring diagram for a Thunderbird of that period. Should be similar. Hopefully this helps as PW on a full sized Ford is not common. So finding a diagram on the web was not happening.
The correct wiring diagram is in the back of the factory shop manual.

Action
Windows Wiring Diagram For 1963-64 Ford Thunderbird.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The above should be correct. I have a few spare switches...haven't wired in yet. Doubtful they work as the look worse then ones in car. My question is...to test the switch before putting into car I was going to test for continuity. I am trying to wrap my head around where to put the multimeter leads to see if works.

·
Super Moderator
13,295 Posts
For the switch with 3 wires checking for continuity

In one position two wires will be continuous.
In the other position two wires will be continuous.
The common between the 3 is a ground which is usually black. The other two wires will have color.

Action

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the switch with 3 wires checking for continuity

In one position two wires will be continuous.
In the other position two wires will be continuous.
The common between the 3 is a ground which is usually black. The other two wires will have color.

Action
Thanks...will give it a try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts