1965 Falcon stock radio and 2 speaker hookup help | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

1965 Falcon stock radio and 2 speaker hookup help

Discussion in 'Interiors, Sound & Security Systems' started by joedub, May 26, 2020.

1. joedub

joedub New Member

Hello.I am putting a stock AM 65 Falcon Radio in my Falcon where there was none.Also want to put a stock front dash and rear package tray speaker as original.radio only has 4 wires.i assume 2 are for speaker and power and light wires.My question is how did Ford hook up the 2 speakers.Did they make a "Y" plug that allowed you to hook up the front and back speakers.I would rather not splice.Also what colors go to what wires,speakers etc.?Thanks
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

A stock AM radio would only have had one speaker. Up front.
    Wiring would have been -
    1 for radio power, switched by the ignition switch
    1 for radio faceplate illumination, switched by the headlight switch
    2 for speakers.

The rear speaker location would have been for AM/FM.
    Or for an optional fader control. (I think this was dealer installed only but could be wrong on that) It would have been a fader switch mounted to the instrument panel with provisions for rear speaker wiring. A rather rare option for that year.

>>>>Action
  3. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Would have looked similar to this ebay listing
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1965-...AR-SPEAKER-FADER-CONTROL-SWITCH-/153365949640

And know that the listing above is incomplete. It was a kit with more wiring, a mount and the rear speaker. The original rear speaker is worthless as a more modern speaker would be far better. But the other pieces would be necessary otherwise the asking price is kind of like a pipe dream.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
  4. 62Squire

62Squire Member

You could just hook up the two speakers in parallel with each other. The fader control is nice but more complicated, since you will need a place to put it. I hooked up a similar setup in my 1963 Chevy Impala that only came with a front speaker. Since I was not a smoker, I put the fader control in the ashtray. As far as wire colors are concerned for speaker hook-up, they aren't important because the speaker is not grounded to the chassis. When hooking up a second speaker, look at the wire terminals on the speaker. There should be a + and a - on them. You want to be sure to hook up the speakers so that + on one speaker is connected to + on the other speaker. If you get them crossed it won't hurt anything, but the sound will not be as good because the two speakers will sort of "cancel each other out".

If the original speaker does not have + and - marks on it, you can still figure it out. Take your new speaker which will almost certainly have marks on it and connect the plus side of a flashlight battery to the + terminal and the - side of the battery to the - terminal on the speaker. Watch which way the speaker cone moves when you do this. Then take the original speaker and do the same thing and note which way the battery is connected to make the cone move in the same direction as it did with the new speaker. Mark the terminal that is connected to the + side of the battery as +. Then connect up your speakers.

Another option is not to use the front speaker at all and just connect up the rear one. I'm guessing that the rear speaker will be larger than the one in front so it will give you better sound quality.

If you decide that you really want to use the fader control concept, a good shop that deals in automotive sound systems can probably set you up with the required components. In fact, no matter what you do, it might be a good idea to check with them anyway to get their advice on your planned set-up.
    Action likes this.