1966 LTD Resto-Mod Thread | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

1966 LTD Resto-Mod Thread

Discussion in 'Ford LTD' started by DesertXL, Jul 22, 2016.

1. DesertXL

DesertXL Active Member Respected Member

Introduction to Newly Acquired Project

Hello All,

Thought I'd carry my build thread over to here, but after thinking about it, I thought I'd better recreate it from the get go as I should have stayed more focused than bouncing around from one item on the car to the other.

With that as time permits I'll post what I can and hopefully in short order be up to date with the past week.

Without further waffling :)

Below is the car when we bought it. It was on E-Bay twice with a starting bid of 1500 dollars and no one wanted it. So a deal outside of E-Bay was struck and a 600 mile trip with truck and trailer later and it was home with us.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_66LTD03_zps73095841.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_66LTD02_zpsf8d52e92.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_66LTD04_zps05b27c0c.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_66LTD05_zps561237dc.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_66LTD06_zps2f1c24fe.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_66LTD07_zps68fc3031.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_66LTD08_zpsd5622bed.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_66LTD09_zps5b324d63.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_66LTD10_zpsab45dd95.jpg

This is the grungy bit.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_66LTD11_zps72907aed.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_66LTD12_zpsa16c9d03.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_66LTD13_zpsbe266a47.jpg

It has the T-Bird style rear vacuum operated vent of which I think is the neatest thing of all. I didn't even realize T-Birds had this until I dug into its origins.

Normally I'm not a fan of 4 doors, especially pillared ones, although actually I like my '93 Grand Marquis but that's about it. However when I saw this 4 door it just looked so elegant and yet brilliant with the windows down I just had to have it. The key factor really was three things; first the interior was well cared for and in good nick. Secondly it had factory air con, which is a must where we live and third, it has a big block (390) with a C6.

The story that was imparted to us was the car sat in a garage since 1983 and wasn't run since. Which I can believe as all the paperwork since new up to 1983 was in the glove box. Most likely it was an older couple who owned the car as it has all the earmarks.

The two immediate downsides of the car were first it was side swiped a bit on the pass front door and fender, so body work is in order, secondly it didn't run. But I have plans for it ;)

Until next post.

Cheers.
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

Thanks for sharing. Funny thing for me is a dragged a '66 Galaxie out of Wichita about 4 years ago. Had an overnight in Abq and then found my way back to the valley of the sun. That 4 door hardtop was unique because it had the convenience package. That is the only reason I got that car. Parted out the rest and sold those pieces on ebay.

Interesting heater hose connections.

And I was sure I had seen some after pics. I check on a thread and sure enough ......

>>>>>>>>>Action
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  3. DesertXL

Project Car Assessment and Goals

Hello Again,

Whilst the car seems like it could have been made a driver with conceivably little work. It wasn't mean to be. It actually had much more wrong with it hidden within the depths outside normal inspection.

I did manage to get the engine started and running. With the car sitting for over 3 decades of non-use and filled with fluids, all sorts of things will go awry. The coolant coagulated with corrosion in the lower part of the block and turned to a thick sludge. Corrosion had set in and the heater core was the equivalent of swiss cheese. The lower core plugs in the block were rusting through, the water pump seal and bearings were compromised and thus leaking out the weep hole. Or to be more precise streaming out the weep hole. I think just about every part of the cooling system had a leak. It leaked at the heater core, the heater control valve (ended up bypassing the whole lot), the radiator, lower radiator hose, water pump, intake manifold to head, and lower core plugs.

However that wasn't the worst of it. The fuel tank was 3/4 full, of what I can imagine was once fuel, but transmogrified into something pretty toxic and corrosive as it completely dissolved the sender. It was like something out of a corny movie, I pulled the sender out and it was just a stump left. Float, pipe, pickup, rheostat all gone. The tank itself was paper thin and just touching the lower portion with my finger resulted in a leak.

Long story short it all went in the rubbish bin, there was no saving any portion of it, including the filler neck.

Weirdly before starting of the engine, the hydraulic brakes worked, which after sitting all that time is something of a minor miracle in itself. I used them for unloading it off the trailer. Funny bit is because they are power assisted, when I did get the engine started, I pressed the brake pedal and then pretty much blew out every wheel cylinder. All you could do is just snicker at that point. With the C6 topped off in ATF, it did go into drive and reverse. I had a hunch though it was slipping under load.

The car still had its bias ply tyres on and well I couldn't help myself. Let's just say for a low compression, minute camshaft, single exhaust and a 2 jet it annihilated the right rear scrawny little bias ply. That's right 40 something going on 12 :confused:

So I had relegated the drivetrain would need a complete rebuild.

Now for the goals, since this wasn't going be a simple repair and make a driver, a total tear down was in order and then it occurred to me just what I wanted from the car. I love my older Grand Marquis and since this was an LTD I wanted the same quiet, refined ride, loaded with creature features that makes for a pleasurable ride. But just with one caveat, when I put my foot down you'd better hang on to something.

With that the goal then became to make a reliable daily driver, update the internal engine bits with as modern materials and parts as I could realistically get to increase the efficiency of the engine and aim for 500 horsepower under 6,000 RPM while staying as close as possible to 390 cubic inches.

I now have a finished ideal of what the car should be. Armed with this I set forth on dismantling. Unfortunately I found even more serious structural problems hidden.

Until next post.

Cheers.
  4. DesertXL

Hello Action,

You're welcome. That's funny about the '66 you hauled home because this is where this car came from, Wichita KS, it was bought brand new there and had resided there until it came home with us.

The convenience package is a nice feature to have, although the vacuum operated locks are a nightmare, there's loads to be said about a simple electric motor for a lock solenoid.

Four door hardtops were I believe the least produced body style. I come across many pillared 4 door models but hardly any hardtops.

~DXL
    Action likes this.
  5. DesertXL

Last of the Hidden Surprises

Started tearing down the front clip to easily remove the engine and transmission.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_C6_20Transm87d980b4b1c9a138aefa696ea1fd9cee.jpg
    Here's the little grease & grime monkey.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_5606_zpstljvaoxd.jpg

This is where I noticed the frame had corrosion problems.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_5610_zpsxl06fhzv.jpg

This is passenger side radiator support mount location. It was pretty well eaten away. But the worst is yet to come.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_5651_zpslmr5fodq.jpg

I removed the frame from under the car and flipped it over to discover that there was a bulge in the metal from where the lift raised the car. At first glance on the frame it looks in really good shape with only minor surface corrosion. Upon using the hammer test, albeit crude, a decent tap revealed no problems. However a full swing and it went right through.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_5652_zpss1ltzidp.jpg

A small biopsy revealed the extent of the damage from inside out. These 3rd gen gals are notorious for rotted frames. This one is no exception. Except this is hidden damage which would have only spread if left untreated. Not to mention making the car structurally unsound and increasing the possibility for catastrophic failure under heavy acceleration or braking.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_5658_zpsild0anb2.jpg

I ended up slicing off the bottom section of the rails to solid metal and treated the inside with POR 15.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_5778_zpsgos9d54y.jpg

Then welded in new sections of structural steel.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_5783_zpsvmptuqyl.jpg

Same to the other side.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_5972_zpsokv9nalc.jpg

Sand blasted the entire frame and used Eastwoods internal frame coat and soaked the insides of the entire frame.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_5995_zpsjolwieew.jpg

Then POR15'd the entire thing inside and out.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_5895_zpsnkxjkyp7.jpg

Whilst working on the frame I started working on the other chassis components. I stripped and painted the 9". I replaced the outer wheel bearings and seals, along with a new pinion seal. I set the factory 3.00:1 gears for a better tooth pattern as the coast side was really far off nominal and filled it with Royal Purple lube.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_5804_zpsmg9173n9.jpg

Powder coated the control arms and installed all new rubber.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_5815_zps7hoolffc.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_5826_zpsymm5cik2.jpg

New ball joints and bump stops too.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_5837_zpsh3dkjtgq.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_Frame2_zpsjpqbnbzf.jpg

Installed all new brakes, even powder coated the wheel cylinders, fabbed new stainless lines, new shocks, new parking brake cables, new tyres, stripped and painted the rims and powder coated the springs

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_Frame14_zpszrqawyua.jpg

Pretty much the same treatment for the front.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_Frame17_zpsrn9wehn8.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_6081_zps9pcbejfu.jpg

A roller once more. More importantly with all new parts.

Next post I'll focus on the engine tear down, and build up.

Cheers.

Action likes this.
  6. Dominick 1

Dominick 1 Well-Known Member Respected Member

Nice work:)
  7. DesertXL

Hello Dominick 1,

Thank you for the kind words. I hope the rest is enjoyable to view.
  8. DesertXL

Engine Tear-down

Hello again,

Just to recap, the original engine is a low frills, bog standard 390. It's nothing special with low compression, small camshaft, restrictive manifolds (induction and exhaust) a 2 jet carb, points, etc. You get the idea, it's nothing to write home about. :(

I will say one thing I had this engine, after refreshing the carb, borrowing plugs, cap, rotor, wires points and condenser, running like a top. It idled really nice had smooth run up, no bogging or missing and no smoke out of the exhaust. Which I found rather amazing considering what I found inside the engine and the odometer was near enough 100,000 miles. Most staggering was that it had a broken piston ring on number 1 cylinder. Which just goes to show anything really old bought without a known history should really be disassembled and inspected.

Here's the tear down.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_Engine01_zps4tijhplu.jpg

And it just gets nastier...

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_Engine04_zpsyttasojd.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_Engine02_zps1qp51vv3.jpg

No doubt the original thermostat and it's stuck open. That explains why it never fully warmed up and the "COLD" lamp never turned off.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_Engine05_zpspledqwhw.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_Engine06_zpspyzgtxqs.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_Engine07_zpskjxh2zym.jpg

Looks like someone had a bad day on the assembly line and didn't tighten the torque converter nut fully. This flexplate will be replaced.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_Engine09_zpsfnrioowk.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_Engine10_zpsitnxfq4t.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_Engine11_zpskpehyyqy.jpg

Wow, I've never seen the lower coolant passages so plugged. But it's what happens when an engine sits for long periods. Even if it didn't leak from every possible orifice, it would not be reliable if made into a driver.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_Engine14_zpsfx0915mp.jpg

It's so thick inside it holds a screw driver in place.... That's just not right! :eek:

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_Engine15_zpshmxg93dy.jpg

Needless to say I crated up the block and crankshaft and delivered them to the machine shop. The only parts I used out of the old engine were the block, crank, timing cover, crank spacer and front dress. Everything else was pitched in the bin or more important bits things like the heads were shelved.

Next post I'll show and explain the engine build.

Cheers.
  9. Action

The coolant leaking from the core plugs didn't just happen when you disturbed it. Based on the surface rust and the crud built up the engine has been leaving a little on the ground for a long time.

Sure is something to be said for reguler start ups and changing fluids every once in a while.

>>>>>>>>Action
  10. DesertXL

Engine Build

Hello again,

I should mention before I packed everything up and sent it to the machine shop I did spend a couple of weeks designing what the new engine would be and what parts it needed. I spent many a day talking to companies like Total Seal, Diamond Racing, Crane, Competition Cams, Edelbrock, etc. Then spent loads of time on software simulations of different parts they offered or could make. My goal was 500 horse under 6000 RPM , N.A., whilst sticking close to 390 cid as possible. I also wanted good idle vacuum, and a smooth idle. Let me tell you it's not an easy task. It's easy if you don't mind a screaming, lumpy idle, little vacuum engine. But that's not what I wanted.

In the end, I found a combination of parts that would in theory work to meet my goal. But it was rather pricey. There's no way the low frills standard FE head could support that so Edelbrock heads were used, they feature large stainless valves, undercut stems, medium riser ports without the oil gallery protruding into the air stream and had the necessary flow rates.

For the valve train, there's no way a flat tappet cam was going to meet the goal, so a roller conversion was in order. With it's high open and close rates it would fit the bill. As for the lower end, new Eagle rods as it's not even worth reconditioning old rods. The pistons were a custom set of Diamond Racing Moly coated skirt forged pistons with a thinner metric ring pack (1.5mm, 1.5mm, 3.0 mm). The rings are Total Seal, with a gapless top ring and all moly coated. This combination greatly reduced frictional losses in the engine.

In the end on paper, err computer I met the 500 horse at around 5600 RPM.

So enough prattling and onto the pics...

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8180_zpsqd4rsann.jpg

Partial assembly of the lower end. The block ended up being baked and blasted to clean out all the goo. Because of the broken piston ring the cylinders needed to be bored 0.030" over and the crankshaft was balanced against the new rods and piston assemblies.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8190_zpsk7wg9quy.jpg

The new roller camshaft.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8193_zpskdmrmerv.jpg

A brass plate must be used instead of the iron one.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8196_zpsqs78ov0a.jpg

The new roller lifter.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8197_zpst9wyweat.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8162_zpsowbclexd.jpg

I drilled the plug for timing chain lube. I should mention I had the machine shop remove the oil gallery press in plugs and drill and tap for screw in ones.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8167_zps2kfcoflz.jpg

Here's the piston assembly for one cylinder.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8169_zpsf60deu0l.jpg

The intriguing gapless top ring lower portion.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8173_zps4fbdecpj.jpg

These are both Cloyes timing sets, however the one on the left is a standard replacement for the FE, whilst the one on the right is a true double roller for the FE.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8199_zpseu1qrhbf.jpg

I was amazed that the cam degreed exactly as the cam card specified. I was so amazed I checked it twice in case I made a mistake. Everyone did their job spot on machining everything.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8219_zps1xttxjup.jpg

Block detailed and head studs installed.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8228_zpsppt1tqrc.jpg

New heads. I must make a note in that before I ordered the pistons I checked the volume of the combustion chambers and they were slightly out of spec as per what Edlebrock has listed. Glad I checked by CC'ing them first. The new value was used in conjunction with the new deck height (machined) desired squish, quench and head gasket thickness to determine the dome cc's and shape.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8236_zps9o1pd4qv.jpg

I did install oil restrictions in the heads.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8239_zpsuc5dpaij.jpg

It's slowly starting to come together.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8249_zpszol56mdt.jpg

Eventually the engine will get a fuel injection system I'm working on utilizing the manifold on the left, but for now will get a new carburetor and manifold on the right.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8253_zpsfm5suaum.jpg

That would have an interesting look when completed with fuel injection. It will not be an 8 stack injection like the old school rodders. But for my injection system I needed an intake with individual runners so this will work.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8258_zpsrr2t22s1.jpg

The high spring rates for the roller cam necessitated using all aftermarket rocker assemblies and I used the rocker stud kit for them.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8264_zpsvfkrqm6l.jpg

Only thing amiss were the suggested length hardened push rods, Crane was super and exchanged the set for another. The rocker assemblies are from Precision Oil Pumps. It includes billet stands, supported shaft end stands, hardened shafts and adjustable roller rockers and billet spacers.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8269_zpsaqypig7g.jpg

I really fancied an engine oil cooler so I bought the repop Cobra style oil filter adapter with oil take offs and viscosity bypass valve.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8297_zpsllr8hhp7.jpg

A set of FPA headers were purchased and installed and I must say, these are really well built.

I'll have to cover the rest in part II of the engine build as I've reached my single post limit.

Cheers.
    Action likes this.
  11. JCAllison

JCAllison Well-Known Member Respected Member

Hey Mr. D,
    Have already seen much of the work done on this vehicle, and have to say that the best is yet to come.

Some of the stuff that Ms. DXL has done is just beyond anything I've ever seen before.

Have personally done LOTS of disassembling, cleaning, stripping, painting and reassembling of Ms. American's components, and while they come out pretty nice, they aren't powder coated, nor customized to the level that DXL achieves.

But THAT'S only part of the story.

DXL has put together a most amazing facility, with fabrication, welding, blasting, and painting capabilities, complete with air conditioning&concert sound. And the best part is she know how to DO everything.

This is no "shade tree" operation like is happening here in the forest! Tim says she needs her own television show!

Nothing succeeds like success, and nothing exceeds like excess.

Anyway, as mentioned previously... The best is yet to come.

JC
  12. DesertXL

What did I say earlier.... Flattery will get you everywhere :)

Don't let Mr. JC pull your leg, I am just an amateur, I've never tried anything on this scale before. But I read and research then give it a go. I struggle just like everyone else. Yesterday I spent 12 hours forming 5 stainless steel 3/8" lines for the 1st transmission cooler. I am sure even with most of the front end complete and everything in the way a pro would have had it done quicker. And trust me there were a few redo's and few unkind things said. Stainless is still a cow to work with.

Now Mr JC, he is one to admire his perseverance through adversity. I could never work in the environment he does. Even as a kid growing up in the Midwest the heat always made me sick and my parents didn't have air con in a car till 1987. And I think the only reason was it pretty much standard equipment by then.

That's why I'm an over the top advocate of air con, making up for decades of withdrawal :)

But alas I need to continue with the LTD saga.
  13. DesertXL

Engine Build - part II

I bought a new Duraspark distributor for an FE, no more points, and looks like the old point style distrib, but with a pickup in it. I also installed a recurve kit for it.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8304_zpspzkghgit.jpg

With a target total and initial in mind I measured the weights in the new distributor and made the adjustments.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8312_zpsxrqlf5hm.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8317_zpsnb2exaet.jpg

This should get me in the ballpark and I can fine tune after the engine is running.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8318_zpse2ys5cpn.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8319_zpsyyr8xptl.jpg

Also installed the recommended cam gear on the distributor.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8322_zps0zemlph2.jpg
    I had a spot of bother with the new distrib in the bearing plate the pickup was mounted too. There was too much play and lateral tilting allowing the pickup to come in contact with the reluctor.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8323_zps5jw4oc4x.jpg

I had some left over shims from the shim kit for the rocker assemblies and with a little massaging it fit the distrib and made for a smooth bearing plate movement with no tilting.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8329_zpsxzkegckd.jpg

I detailed it up to match the engines colour scheme.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8311_zpszzo5xmdd.jpg

These are some of the sensors retrofitted onto the FE. As it will get an adaptive ignition and fuel injection system. On the left are knock sensors, middle are the coolant temp sensor and engine oil temp sensor and engine oil level sensor on the right.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8365_zpsoa8v2huv.jpg

This is an example of some of the details I also focused on. The original intake bolts allowed oil to wick up past the rough mating surface of the bolt head and intake. So I replaced those with grade 8 that have a machined surface under the head, then used a soft aluminum washer to seal.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8406_zpshsd2l3jw.jpg

I couldn't find a replacement heater hose fitting at the time, so I had to make a replica with parts I could find.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8502_zpsofau3pue.jpg

A new coil for the new ignition system. Like I'd trust a 50 year old coil that most likely the oil has evaporated out of it.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8507_zpswz9urhnh.jpg

It's slowly coming together..
    However with the new rocker assemblies the '66 rocker covers will no longer fit, but I test fitted a pair of '68 rocker covers and they fit. So off to the junkyard.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8508_zps9o4xdqqo.jpg

Less than 20 dollars later.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8524_zps5uqakmhu.jpg

Now it's starting to look more like an engine.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8528_zps7ji9qpuq.jpg

Another note, I lost some of the pics during this, the alternator and PS pump were among the lost. The alternator I rebuilt, because I wanted to keep the old style case, chances are with a rebuilt I'd end up with the later style.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8530_zpspoctirzf.jpg

No messing about, just went with a new carburetor, this is a 750 CFM vac sec, with electric choke. I also purchased a fiber spacer to control heat soak and a fuel pressure sensor for diagnostic purposes.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8535_zpscdvj1j3g.jpg

The rather grungy original 2 jet.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8545_zps0teksryn.jpg

Test fitting.

I'll cover more in part III of the engine build.

Cheers.
  14. DesertXL

Engine Build - part III

Next up was an oil pan that had more capacity and better baffling, but I also wanted an oil temp sensor and an oil level sensor. So I thought I'd try my skills at making one. If anything it proved to be an interesting object lesson in fabrication.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8562_zpszwwxkxfl.jpg

The one on the right is the original oil pan for this engine. The one on the left had a rust hole in the bottom of it. So it seemed rather providential to use it. So I sliced the bottom out of it and with some 16 gauge steel made the baffle and extension bits.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8547_zpsqyi23tkt.jpg

Testing the pickup clearance.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8570_zpsf6trsxhr.jpg

Leak testing and oil level sensor testing.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8580_zpsmwgqgm01.jpg

More or less happy with it.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8589_zps8n9d2vse.jpg

Playing with some fittings for fit and prepping the back for the transmission.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8593_zps09r9cpmq.jpg

A replacement flexplate, and as note Locktite the flexplate bolts in. :)

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8597_zpsda2ugbah.jpg

I'll cover the transmission build up and modification later. But it is the cars original '66 C6 dual range, just built up to be able to handle the new power output of the engine.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8598_zpsi4usbi0n.jpg

So far so good.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8600_zpsomokitsd.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8604_zpsu2rysrxs.jpg

Next up with dealing with the cars original starter motor. The commutator was pretty knackered so I took the plunge and bought a rebuilt.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8677_zps0wknejvy.jpg

However I try to leave nothing to chance so I disassemble new and rebuilt parts to inspect and test the parts to make sure it was put together correctly. Plus it gives me a chance to detail the parts to match my colour scheme.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8678_zpsi5kojcpx.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8679_zpsbbj4spnp.jpg

The large Ford starter fits just fine under the FPA headers.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8680_zps5qrlgd11.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8632_zpsvuzpsnl0.jpg

Next I had to deal with the oil air separators from the junkyard. They were packed with carbon and the wire mesh was disintegrating. I didn't want any of this falling into the engine. Soooooooooooooooooo.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8654_zpsqwlsrujb.jpg

Try to gingerly pry the edge up.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8634_zpsantu5tan.jpg

Toss the nasty guts out.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8633_zpseg935xcu.jpg

New material for the innards. It's stainless so it will last a long time.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8645_zpsc9ciwwns.jpg

Using some stainless safety wire I made little wreaths for the top and bottom.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8649_zpso2y83rha.jpg

The wire wrap keeps the stainless scrubbing pad in place.

More in part IV.

Cheers.
  15. DesertXL

Engine Build - part IV

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8653_zpsladr62dk.jpg

Reassemble with a hammer and dolly to create the smooth seam.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8661_zps0l9y8nee.jpg

This is the other one, but you can see how you do not want any of this falling into your engine. I wouldn't even use this on a worn daily runner.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8663_zpsawsskcmg.jpg

I powder coated them and made new gaskets. Clean and ready to use, plus they look nice.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8665_zpsnpzqfuuh.jpg

New grommets and fittings.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8671_zpspzsxixvp.jpg

Rockers covers are done.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8687_zpswraaxy8c.jpg

My next nemesis were these idler and tensioner pulleys for the air con compressor. Two problems here, first no one remakes these, secondly stick a fork in the grease and seals because they're 50 years old and done!

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8688_zpsi9ann9lw.jpg

Back side view of the little blighters.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8690_zpszulmzp3a.jpg

After careful disassembly, (joke), whilst I pressed off the pulley I took a hammer to the bearing. It's an unusual bearing, especially for the 60's on American cars. the inside shaft is English but the outer race is metric. :confused:

I poured through bearing suppliers books and could not find this at all. So a new approach was needed.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8720_zpsdx8dho5q.jpg

I found a generic aftermarket pulley for a 17 series belt that was close to the outside diameter to the original pulleys. I then bought some shaft steel and turned it down to press into the original base and I could mount the new pulley, which is now easily replaceable with a bolt. It's akin to a modern car now.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8725_zpsllohklj4.jpg

Here's the modified one on the left and another original '66 on the right.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8727_zpsoew2qxcc.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8729_zpse0lc35bf.jpg

There's the part number for the new pulley and compared to an original set of '66 FE air con pulleys.
    ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8730_zpssoc8vrpk.jpg
    Powder coated, but more importantly reliable.....

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8731_zpsawjn6gnw.jpg

This is a test fit. This isn't the air con compressor I'm going to use, I just grabbed this boat anchor of a cast iron Tecumseh off the shelf, I did indeed go with a brand new aluminum York 210, same as the car came with.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8733_zpssamk8xgp.jpg

The idler realllllllllllllllly <intentional stutter> doesn't do all that much, but it's there. :)

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8698_zpsj5gcxfdz.jpg

Back to some more esoteric detail problems. The plug on the Duraspark distributor is unique, so unique no one makes the mating pigtail replacement for it. I could scrounge round the junkyard for one, but this is big, ugly and not that water tight and pain to separate once coupled.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8701_zpsdaap22rj.jpg

Enter Deutsch connectors, my favorite connector, albeit a little pricey, but the quality is outstanding.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8702_zpsklll6wax.jpg

Lop off the Ford plug and crimp the new pins on the leads.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8705_zpsgucow4y1.jpg

Insert the pins from the back side into the connector and push in the terminal assurance clip and your done, a nice water tight seal, easy to couple and uncouple.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8706_zps679hrfqd.jpg

Plus it's smaller and less obtrusive.

More on part V

Cheers
  16. JCAllison

JCAllison Well-Known Member Respected Member

Hey Ms. DXL,
    Flattery isn't flattery, like bragging isn't bragging if you can back it up! The JPGs tell the story.

Me either. But the thought occurred to me while fixing lunch... The Professionals CAN'T afford to give the amount of TLC necessary to do this kind of work, because they have to be cost effective.

There's Professionals&Amateurs. Then there's Experts&Dilettantes. Just because someone is a Professional doesn't necessarily mean that they are an Expert. And just because someone is an Amateur, doesn't mean that they are a Dilettante.

But there's yet another factor... The Professional doesn't have nearly as much fun doing this kind of thing as we do (usually).

Neither can I (at times)!

Well, actually... The HEAT isn't as much of an adversity as is the HUMIDITY. In the twenty-eight years that I've been here, this is the worst the humidity that has ever been. Am attributing it to all the rain that we had last Winter&Spring. All that water soaked into the ground, and now the trees are drinking it up and respiring it into the air.

And I'm going to sit here looking at the picture.

Stay cool...

JC
  17. DesertXL

Engine Build - part V

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8713_zpsqjhjpqcn.jpg

I checked cranking oil pressure and oil lube to the heads, since FE's have a known habit of hemorrhaging under the rockers resulting in low oil pressure. Cranking with the spark plugs in I had around 30 PSI cold and without ~35 PSI cold, there was a nice coverage of lube and cooling oil to the valves without drowning them.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8735_zpsn7nuyln0.jpg

The next two items to tackle. Turns out I did have some pics of the PS pump, so I'll share those. But first the York 210.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8740_zps321mj7mz.jpg

This compressor ended up being beyond redemption as it was obvious someone had serviced the air con system all those years ago fixing whatever leak there was and added refrigerant but no oil. As a result it was pretty scored, amazingly it still turned. I should point one more thing out, never take for granted that an old car has leaked its refrigerant out. I made that mistake on this LTD. Here the car leaked out seemingly every conceivable fluid and I rather arrogantly concluded there was no refrigerant left and started to uncouple the lines. The lines were so cruded together that even after unscrewing the nut a few turns, then it popped to break the flare seal and it was darn near full of refrigerant still. I jumped back and left the combination wrenches on the line and sat back and watched them turn into chunks of ice before it finally ran dry. So be careful.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8742_zpsihqndjhq.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8743_zpszwjlaj3w.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8750_zps1pcahv6f.jpg

It's pretty much rubbish.

I did buy a new one. So some may find this interesting, the little York here debuted in 1958, as of several years ago they were or possibly still are being made for new vehicle production. Specifically class 8 trucks (lorries-semis), like Kenworth, Peterbuilt, etc. So these are plentiful in the truck world. Here's the funny bit, I sure would have thought after all these decades it would be improved upon or changed. But it turns out aside from a hide and low side extra threaded port on the sides, it's the same. The one I bought had metric markings on the bolts but after measuring them, they are still English threads and diameters.

One last bit of titillating info, having worked in the class 8 truck arena, every part we designed, tested and built had to last for 1 million miles. For these manufacturers choosing an ancient designed compressor and not changing it just proves these are incredibly durable little units. They didn't chose a modern Sanden or any other brand.

I disassembled the new York to see how well it was made, which it was, but I don't have those pics, just reassembled after being detailed.

But here's the brush holder for the clutch.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8912_zpsc2szeal6.jpg

There were still plenty of brush life left, so a quick cleaning and detailing after converting to screws once the rivets were drilled out. Also lubed with synthetic grease. For those unfamiliar these older air con pumps had the coil integrated in the pulley and therefor spun with the lot. The connection was via a slip ring and these brushes.

I believe in '67 they went to a stationary coil bolted to the compressor.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8913_zpsxwjrns0r.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8919_zpsjgk7vj9f.jpg

The new York 210, since I'm retrofitting the air con in the car to R134a I bought the R134a service ports integrated into the new rotolok head connectors.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8922_zpsxogch2jz.jpg

I disassembled the old clutch, cleaned and detailed it.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8923_zpsnfltjflv.jpg

Replaced the old bearing as the grease was rock hard.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8924_zpsokmxea8g.jpg

Back together and tested.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8925_zps8gb3bten.jpg

Onto the PS pump

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8851_zpsgwuppsrr.jpg

The original one taken apart and cleaned, the kit I bought was the 8500, which is the harder one to find as it contains the shaft bushing, the other more common kit contains everything but.

The more astute viewer you'll notice a 6-AN fitting on the return line to the case. I'm not terribly fond of the barbed hose connection and will try to avoid it if possible.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8842_zpsd9ruyqlh.jpg

So I bought these weldable 6 AN bung fittings.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8855_zpsm4eqoydt.jpg

And TIG welded them onto the various pieces.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8927_zpsf3mp93g0.jpg

After detailing the pump and assembling all the engine driven accessories are back on the engine.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8928_zpsrqa19kmw.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_8930_zpsemivhvum.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_9206_zpsoopv3sos.jpg

More in part VI.

Cheers
  18. DesertXL

Engine Build - part VI

Some other modifications were adding an all metal fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor. I didn't want any rubber lines. With that I used 3/8" stainless and a common off the shelf high capacity fuel filter with thread fittings, although I had to make a bracket for the fuel filter.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_9209_zpsm42xnjun.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_9210_zpsjtrpstbr.jpg

On the back I also added a GM 1 bar MAP sensor. My intentions with all the sensors are two fold. First as diagnostics, but secondly I plan on replacing the energy vampire of a C6 with a newer 4R70W built up to withstand this application. The only sensor I would have to add is a TPS. It would be nice to have a wider ratio of gears as well as overdrive and lock up.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_9212_zpsnotdz2u5.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_9219_zpsyldlelsu.jpg

Here are the fuel filter and the fittings to convert the metric fittings in the fuel filter to English/SAE inverted flare.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_9336_zpsuhbcgbl2.jpg

Nestled back home.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_9351_zpsjw5lwcbv.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_9337_zpscoaaassa.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_9341_zpsdypwymsa.jpg

So far the headers seem to fit, but there's little room.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_9339_zpsc3wxywc3.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_9342_zpsdukwslxy.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_9983_zps25tyl2bl.jpg

I had to make a new dipstick tube as the old one was broken and the new one needed to clear the headers. I borrowed the retainer clamp from the old one and used 3/8" stainless for the tube.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_9988_zps4tc38drs.jpg

In order to constrict the end of the tube to fit the block I used the flaring die block to squeeze it a little.

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_9992_zpsmy0z7hcx.jpg

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_0010_zpsx48ilnp1.jpg

The last piece I had to make for the engine was a bracket to attach the fore-aft support brace for the York onto the headers. The original mounting point was integrated into the log exhaust manifold.

That I believe covers the engine build, in the next posting I'll cover the building of the C6 and then back to the chassis to finish that up.

Cheers.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  19. Action

For now are you using the mechanical fuel pump?
    The fuel line loops under the alternator towards the left side of the engine. Are you running fuel line down the left or right side of the frame?

>>>>>>>>Action
  20. DesertXL

Hi Action,

Yuppers for now with the carburetor I'm using the mechanical engine driven pump. I ran 2 fuel lines down the left side of the frame, the 2nd line will be for the return line for the injection so for now was just capped off.

Spoiler :)

ai1382.photobucket.com_albums_ah248_Rlauren454_LTD_DSC_0093_zpsc2db9yyi.jpg
    RAGGAREN likes this.