17,055 Posts
Not email accounts
User accounts here.

One is LarryM1961 and the other is Larrymur1961

Action

· Registered
1967 Ford Fairlane
23 Posts
Hi LarryM, fellow Australian here. I haven't read through all the posts in detail, but let me say I can vouch for the significant difference a fan shroud can make.

My '67 Fairlane (Peruvian assembled, I'm working here in Peru) didn't, as far as I can tell, ever come with a shroud originally. As in Australia, spares for the classic cars in Peru are just about impossible to get (even harder... can't use eBay to import much from the States, because Customs here like whacking big fat taxes on anything they can), so I had a radiator made up locally to replace the original which was developing more seeps and weeps by the month.

Let's just say that the guys who made the replacement said one thing and did another... and the radiator I got in the end was significantly thinner than the original -- which means of course that it just wouldn't perform as well. What to do... I was able to make my own shroud (lots of fiddling with tin snips, pop rivets, and cut fingers LOL) and the difference was incredible. Instead of nudging boiling point all the time, now the temp. needle sits bang in the middle of the gauge @ 85-90 deg. C ... perfect. And it makes sense when you think about it... instead of pulling air around the radiator as well as through it, now ALL the air gets pulled through the radiator. I would guess the amount of air getting pulled across the cooling fins doubles?

Bat on,
Mike.

· Registered
17 Posts
Hi LarryM, fellow Australian here. I haven't read through all the posts in detail, but let me say I can vouch for the significant difference a fan shroud can make.

My '67 Fairlane (Peruvian assembled, I'm working here in Peru) didn't, as far as I can tell, ever come with a shroud originally. As in Australia, spares for the classic cars in Peru are just about impossible to get (even harder... can't use eBay to import much from the States, because Customs here like whacking big fat taxes on anything they can), so I had a radiator made up locally to replace the original which was developing more seeps and weeps by the month.

Let's just say that the guys who made the replacement said one thing and did another... and the radiator I got in the end was significantly thinner than the original -- which means of course that it just wouldn't perform as well. What to do... I was able to make my own shroud (lots of fiddling with tin snips, pop rivets, and cut fingers LOL) and the difference was incredible. Instead of nudging boiling point all the time, now the temp. needle sits bang in the middle of the gauge @ 85-90 deg. C ... perfect. And it makes sense when you think about it... instead of pulling air around the radiator as well as through it, now ALL the air gets pulled through the radiator. I would guess the amount of air getting pulled across the cooling fins doubles?

Bat on,
Mike.
Thanks Mike for your post, yes Action, Desert XL and all the other very knowledgeable guys pretty well much said the same thing. Just finding, as you say, is near impossible. I'll have to with an aftermarket one and need to find brackets as well. Summer in Sydney can get REALLY hot, as you are probably aware

Thanks Larry M

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,055 Posts
As a suggestion, seal up holes around the radiator. Force incoming air to flow into the radiator.
Typically, there are gaps on either side of the radiator for air to get around the radiator versus going through the radiator.

The last picture in post ·16 shows overflow hose pushed past the rubber air deflection dam. Thus allowing air to go around the radiator. I would pull the hose out and drain in a different manner so that air dame forces air through the radiator.

Action

Reactions: Mike F.

· Registered
1967 Ford Fairlane
23 Posts
Thanks Mike for your post, yes Action, Desert XL and all the other very knowledgeable guys pretty well much said the same thing. Just finding, as you say, is near impossible. I'll have to with an aftermarket one and need to find brackets as well. Summer in Sydney can get REALLY hot, as you are probably aware

Thanks Larry M
At least, if you are the fabricating sort, you can find aluminium sheet readily in hardware stores, etc. Easy to work with, strong, etc. The radiator on my '67 Fairlane (they used the side panels off it to solder to the new core, etc.) has 4 lug holes ready to take bolts/ screws for mounting a shroud. I just used some self-tapper 'retainers' to slip over the lug holes and then used big self-tappers to secure the shroud I made to the radiator. Taking care, of course, that the screws went nowhere near the core's passage ways :p

· Registered
17 Posts

· Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
17,055 Posts
The clutch should work no matter what fan you select as long as the inner mounting hole is larger. I do not have a lot of experience with this other than I have had no issues.
The fan bolts to the back side of the clutch.
The clutch bolts to the water pump.
Since the seller is the same for both, you might just message to make sure the fan bolts to the clutch. I would be surprised if it did not.

There are a number of 7 bladed fans made by FORD. This is just one
This one is listed to have an exterior diameter of 19 1/4 inches.
If that diameter fits your shroud, you are good to go

Action

· Registered
1,136 Posts
Action and Desert XL.
I found these on EBay, a 7 blade fan and clutch, the part numbers are correct. What do you think? They say it will fit and may not need a shroud, like your expert opinion please

Fan Clutch Assembly, 1965/68 Ford Galaxie, 352/390/427/428, 1964/66 T-Bird, NOS | eBay

--‐-----------------------------
Fan Blade Assembly, 7 Blade, 1965/67 Ford Galaxie, 352/390/427/428, NOS | eBay
Thanks Kind regards Larry
Hello larrymur1961,

They both look like the correct parts, well from the pictures at least. That's the correct diameter fan for 65-68 with an FE and factory (integrated) air con. Looks like all you need now is a fan shroud and you're all set.

Cheers

81 - 94 of 94 Posts