Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone out there has attempted to do a roof/shell swap on a 68 fairlane from a 4dr to a 2dr? Is the A pillar the same roof angle?

·
Super Moderator
13,932 Posts
How much of the roof are you considering using?

The A pillar is likely the same. I say that because the windshields are the same.
The C pillar is NOT the same.

Action

68 tudoor.jpg
1968_ford_fairlane-pic-9221918300155113247-1600x1200.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
13,932 Posts
Then there are other tow door Fairlanes that won't work either.
Action
12833586-1968-ford-fairlane-500-thumb.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 4dr car that is in 100% solid shape and a rare 2dr car that was hit very hard in the passenger front door post. I know the windshields are the same but if you look at the side of the two cars it looks as though the windshield is more vertical on the 4dr compared to the 2dr.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The two door roof skins and the four door skin are not the same...

·
Super Moderator
13,932 Posts
I would be surprised if the A pillar is different.
I can look up part numbers ( I have that) but the part numbers WILL be different for the roof sheet metal. Just because that sheet metal will go back to the rear which is definately not the same.

I had a 64 full sized Ford that was hit hard in the right front as a frontal collision. So hard it drove the fender into the door and moved the cowling around. May be pushed the A pillar however most of the movement occurred where the RF door attached, It was not a rare or a high value ride. This was in the 1970s when cars were cheap and the repair cost would have been very high to get a correct pull from a body shop. So I taped the door shut and drove it. The car was given to me for free.

If there is damage to the A pillar, the chances are high the damage extends to the cowl as well. And pulling both may be needed for a correct repair. An experienced tech will be able to do that and may use the pieces from the 4 door. However all of my experience seeing collision work (I have never done any) the repairs were never cut out a patch and weld in a patch. I forget if the Fairlane was a modified unibody for that generation. Earlier ones were. Which makes repairs even more complex because the body is structural to the chassis

Action

1 - 6 of 6 Posts