Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody has for sale, or knows where I can find a brake proportioning valve for a 1968 ford Ltd front disc rear drum brake. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,929 Posts
I assume you are looking for an OE replacement.

In the last 1960s disc brakes were kind of a new thing for Ford. The factory Ford valve had issues. Especially when it came to bleed the brakes. Generally my recommendations for parts on FLM vehicles is go with original or original design. This item would be an exception. And only for late 1960s to early 1970s FLM products with disc brakes.

Get a universal one that is adjustable. Likely it will be far cheaper, be adjustable and not stay slammed over to one side and stay there after bleeding from a brake service. Summit, Ebay or .....

Just my opinion

Action

Reactions: TBIRD430

·
Registered
689 Posts
I was wondering if anybody has for sale, or knows where I can find a brake proportioning valve for a 1968 ford Ltd front disc rear drum brake. Thanks
Hello Landonvid,

Soooooooo on the '68 valving assembling (includes the shuttle valve for the warning lamp and proportioning valve) have you taken yours apart to see what's wrong with it. Usually it's just nasty old gummed up fluid causing problems.

I have rebuilt one I'm saving for my '68 XL, but honestly I'll probably end up using a very common GM one as I did on our '66. They are being reproduced for around 40 dollars. They include the shuttle valve (for brake warning lamp on dash) and the proportioning valve for drum brakes. They also make a visually identical variant for disc/disc brakes (still has a proportioning valve but calibrated differently for panic stops).

Here's some pictures of my '68 valving rebuild if you're curious.

These are the only two special seals in the valving. If these are torn or distorted I seriously doubt you'll find these new.

OK so that's the 68 full size disc brake valving. Now below is what I used on a '66 with the complete '68 full size front disc brakes.

This is the common GM combination valve. You can buy the pigtail for the safety lamp switch.

Here it is installed.

On the GM valve they also sell the tool that locks the shuttle valve in the middle when you bleed the brakes so you don't have to fuss with try to centre the valve after bleeding. The tool just screws where the switch screws into and stops the valve from moving till all the brakes are bled. Then you just unscrew the tool and screw the white switch back into the valve. It works very well.

Good Luck

Cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the info and pics. I plan on taking it apart and assessing the valve tomorrow. I am replacing all the brake lines currently and thought maybe I should replace the valve while I’m there, but if the valve seems to be in good condition I’ll just reuse it since it is not a common oe part to replace. Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts