Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1969 Ford LTD and the rim of the steering wheel is cracking the center vinyl insert fake wood trim is missing on one side I need either someone to restore the one I have or sell me a similar replaceable one please respond to me if you can help me thanks.

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,791 Posts
The center vinyl insert fake wood may be part of the padded center cover.
And the steering wheels and pads are colored to match interior.

Is this a 2 spoke or 3 spoke steering wheel?
Is it a rim blow horn or does the horn operate with a metal hoop?

Action

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,791 Posts
Here is a two spoke black steering reproduction wheel

Here is a used green two spoke with pad. Has cracks

Restoration of a steering wheel will start in the $400 range and get close to $600 that includes the pad.

Action

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,791 Posts

I have never used any of these services. And I have seen mixed reviews on the net

Action

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My steering wheel is the two-spoke one but it's not green it's black and it has a center Crest in it crown thing emblem and it has the fake little wood trim outer lying the center crest. I don't know how to put a photo on here
thanks for your input! PS this is my steering wheel but the steering wheel cover is covering all the cracks in the rim of the wheel and then additionally you can't see the missing wood trim piece on the right side of the steering wheel it's identical to the left side but it's missing on the right at the very edge of the centerpiece otherwise it tracks all the way around the whole circumference of the centerpiece except for one half inch portion in the far right corner. Paul

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,791 Posts
You did well with posting a picture

That black reproduction wheel on ebay should be a good fit for you.

The pad is separate from the wheel. The pad is held to the wheel with two black screws on the back side of the steering wheel.

Action

·
Registered
35 Posts
I refurbished my 2 spoke falcon steering wheel.
I got the mylar stips off intact, filled the cracks sanded everything and painted it. 15 years on there are some small cracs reoccurring but for under 25 euro's i won't mind having to redo it.
Maybe you can scan the opposite woodgrain insert print it and use varnish to seal it.
Then you could restore your wheel yourself and save a lot of money.
Ps I had no previous restoration experience.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I just don't know how to print /scan a part like that I don't know of anybody that could do that? Good idea! That is the main thing that I'm concerned with cuz I think I can resin fill the rim and paint no problem but just fixing that one wood grain area that's missing is the issue if you know of anybody that has one of those digital printers maybe I could do that? Thanks for your reply restoration would be cheaper by my own hands!

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,791 Posts
If you can repair the wheel, just find a pad.

The insert was never sold separately from the pad. There were a variety of pads for different models and colors. Which makes the universe of possibilities rather large.
However that two spoke wheel was used over a number of years from the late 1960s to early 1970s

Action

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,791 Posts
BTW a very long time ago I had a 70 LTD Brougham. Same instrument cluster.
I sold in 1979 because of the rust. It was really falling apart and it had a very good 429 a co-worker wanted.
It had nearly every option possible that year. Before I sold it I removed as many options as possible with the idea I might use in the future because I really likely the car!!!
That never happened and I sold much of those options about 4 or 5 years ago

Still love that car

Action

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hear you action I love my 69 I especially like the tail lights on the 69 opposed to the 1970 even though it's like the same car and then you just really can't beat the 429 engine! The thing is torqued full power love it! Mine doesn't have air conditioning but it is what it is it's old school simplistic power and I like that I think you do too thanks for all your input!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I sent my steering wheel to Best In Show, www.rimblowrestoration.com, about 7 months ago and paid the owner/operator in full. Long story short, I still do not have the steering wheel and now I am having to report them for fraud and attempt to recover at least part of what I lost.

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,791 Posts
I sent my steering wheel to Best In Show, www.rimblowrestoration.com, about 7 months ago and paid the owner/operator in full. Long story short, I still do not have the steering wheel and now I am having to report them for fraud and attempt to recover at least part of what I lost.
Have they responded to your contact?
Technically we are in a pandemic.
And seven months is a long time.

Action

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have they responded to your contact?
Technically we are in a pandemic.
And seven months is a long time.

Action
I'm waiting on them to respond to PayPal right now, but last I heard was PayPal removed the last payment from their account. I tried contacting them a week after it was supposed to have shipped, which is a month later than they promised me. No response from them until I filed a claim with PayPal. About six weeks ago I requested that he just send me the wheel in whatever condition it was currently in. He promised me it would ship in two weeks. That never happened so here we are. The excuse I was given this time was that all orders are late and not just mine. I do not see how COVID has anything to do with this, especially after telling them I was willing to just cut my losses (payment of the first half up front) if they would just send my wheel back. I only sent the second payment because they told me my wheel was completed and ready to ship.

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,791 Posts
So you have not heard from the place in a month?

Is it just one guy doing the work, or?
Or even if it was a couple of people, only one has to get sick and the whole process gets back logged. Or one person in a small shop quits for any number of reasons (including COVID of a family member or ?) and the work just goes sideways.

It may be a bad situation not sure. Seven months is a long time.

I am a seller (on Ebay) that a buyer recently disputed with PayPal on an item that was sold and delivered two months prior. Ebay was rather swift at coming to a decision the buyer was past the period of return. Pay Pal took 30 days to make the same decision. (this morning actually) If no one is buying from the "guy/business" there will not be any money left and the company/guy will be shut down and you won't get anything. However the point of being in business is to do business. That being the case, most businesses will get money every month. The website is still up however I don't see any payment links. Paypal is big on either you get the $ or you get the part. Just not both of them. If the seller is going to keep the money he/she has to send the part to you in a manner that can be tracked. Otherwise the money gets reveresed to you. That is how Pay Pal has operated in the past with me.

Action

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,791 Posts
The address for that company
2674 EAST MAIN ST
SUITE E-159
VENTURA, CA 93003

Is a paid mail box service.

Action

1 - 20 of 21 Posts