Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Ford Galaxie 500 Hardtop Sedan 351C
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 Ford galaxie in pretty decent condition, being kept in a barn. Not a very common car I’ve found, almost all of the ones I can find in this year are the 2 doors.
I have been working on it for about a month now. New carburetor and got all the stuff to flush everything once it’s running. I’m currently stuck though. On the right side of the engine bay, there is an ignition coil, a fuel pump, and 3 wires coming from the fire wall that need connecting. My question: how do these connect and where do they connect? It looks like one red wire is an accessories wire and one red wire is a start wire, and that the yellow wire goes to the fuel pump. I have a ballast resistor, and I know that it goes before the ignition coil. I don’t have any power to the instruments or headlights, and I’m hoping it’s as a result of this incomplete circuit. I can’t find any information at all online. Thanks!
7C7F5FE4-3128-4007-A9FB-5D4B28486363.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
14,156 Posts
Those are aftermarket parts. Hard to say what the previous owner(s) were attempting to do.
The stock fuel pump is mechanical and on left front of the engine.

I will look for a woring diagram for the primary ignition system.

Action

·
Super Moderator
14,156 Posts
Even though this is for the 67 Mustang the diagram is very similar. The ignition switch is in the column versus the panel.

Action
1967-mustang-ignition-starting-and-charging-diagram.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,156 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bought the manual the second I saw it. That’ll come in handy considering I can’t find jack about this model specifically on the internet. Thank you for your courtesy of putting so much effort into helping me

·
Super Moderator
14,156 Posts
A very long long time ago I had a 70 LTD.
It basically rusted away. Doors, quarters and deck lid all rusted out.
Was a nice ride with a 429 and nearly every option.

Mostly the reason I bought my 71. It reminds me of the 70 of long ago.

Another reason they are scarce is they were very common. And after 15 to 20 years few people want them. So many have been scrapped.

Action

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am so in love with this car. I traded a running and driving crown vic cop car for it. I’d say I made a good trade, considering I paid 900 for the cvpi. I loved the long land yacht style. This car has that, and it has a muscle look. The interior is just MINT on this thing too, so comfortable and aesthetically Pleasing. I can’t wait til it’s ready to drive.

·
Super Moderator
14,156 Posts
Post pics of the interior.

Action

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

(The towel on the window is because I need to set the window back into the roller, will probably ask about how to go about taking the door panels off in the future)

The only real damage is the cracked dash, and the back of the bench has a small tear. The drivers spot is worn but appears as if someone did a mediocre repair job on it. It was missing a window crank, but other than that, it has everything the interior was supposed to have

Its very sunny today

very clean looking for being a 50 year old car. I know I’m never gonna get rid of this thing lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nice ride you got there!! I have always liked the LTD series car's! Just take your time,and if you disassemble anything take plenty of pictures from step to step, cruise eBay and maybe get the shop manual on CD and just print out the section you need at your leisure,if you already have the complete print manual it keeps it pristine 👍, good luck with your car and ask away,we are here to help!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 1970 Ford galaxie in pretty decent condition, being kept in a barn. Not a very common car I’ve found, almost all of the ones I can find in this year are the 2 doors.
I have been working on it for about a month now. New carburetor and got all the stuff to flush everything once it’s running. I’m currently stuck though. On the right side of the engine bay, there is an ignition coil, a fuel pump, and 3 wires coming from the fire wall that need connecting. My question: how do these connect and where do they connect? It looks like one red wire is an accessories wire and one red wire is a start wire, and that the yellow wire goes to the fuel pump. I have a ballast resistor, and I know that it goes before the ignition coil. I don’t have any power to the instruments or headlights, and I’m hoping it’s as a result of this incomplete circuit. I can’t find any information at all online. Thanks! View attachment 46985 View attachment 46986 View attachment 46987 View attachment 46984
This is a pretty good buy for the wiring diagram for full sized vehicles

1970 Ford LTD Galaxie Mercury Marquis Meteor wiring diagram SHEET service manual | eBay

Action
Thanks action, I have a 1969 Ford LTD Auto manual if you need me to take a photo of a wiring diagram for that car I could do that let me know. It looks like you covered your bases with his question and it also looks like what he thinks is a fuel pump is actually a fuel filter right anyway good luck with that let me know if I can help thanks Paul.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The manual has arrived. The office store didn’t have any binders with this weird orientation. But at least I can fit the papers in here. I actually discovered a few more unconnected wires and I think it’s all starting to come together. Just need to use this

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is the wiring diagram for V8s for Ford, Meteor and Mercury for the 1970 year, for anyone searching for the same thing I was.

·
Super Moderator
14,156 Posts
For that time period from the mid-1960s to the mid-1970s Ford published the wiring diagrams for all models like that. 11X17 fold out pages.
It is much easier to read than the diagrams shown in the back of the shop manuals. However they become more difficult to store.

Action

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe I have narrowed my issue down. The 3 wires from the firewall are for instrument gauges and for the positive side of the ignition cool. The red wires are for the oil pressure sensor and the engine temperature sensor. The white wire connects to a ballast resistor which connects to the ignition coil. My question: where are the oil pressure and engine temp sensors located? I went outside to look myself with a flashlight in the dark but I honestly don’t know where to look. Thanks again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts